Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

To those with SUVs and minivans~

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

To those with SUVs and minivans~

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 12:03 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
How do you carry your bike INSIDE the vehicle? Straight up or on its side? Wheel off or on? What type of vehicle? And is it bad to keep your bike inside on its side for any long amount of time (ref: shocks and forks)?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-16-06, 12:05 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Roadbike fits just perfectly behind the back seat in our Chevy Venture if I pull the wheels off, turn and turn it upside down.
Old 02-16-06, 12:14 PM
Cadd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Honda CR-V and I made a bike holder with 2x4s & skewers. Let me see if I have some pics.
Old 02-16-06, 12:16 PM
ajay677

Location: For the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an idiot.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually, on the roof, using a Rockymounts SL Noose. They fit inside of my Ford Escape with the rear seat folded. The bike needs to be on it's side (wheels on) and on a slight diagonal.
Old 02-16-06, 12:17 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pics. I folded the rear seats forward, took off the front wheel & attached the front fork onto the skewers. Ghetto? Yes, but it cost me about 1 hour of labor & less than $10 for the skewers.

This picture is taken with the driverside rear door open

Here's the view from the driver's seat looking back

From the rear

I can fit both bikes in with the front wheels attached if I turn the handle bar at a 90 degree angle. It barely fits. But since I was taking a 6 hour drive, I didn't want the bikes to bounce around.
Old 02-16-06, 12:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We have a Honda Odyssey. I can fit it in the back well without putting the seats down. I take off the front wheel and hang the left handlebar on the back of the seat.
Old 02-16-06, 12:21 PM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a rack that slides into the tow bar receiver on my Jeep Liberty. When I drive the little PU I just put it in the bed. I have a friend that can get in the trunck of her Honda (Civic I think) when the back seat is down.

Joe
Old 02-16-06, 12:24 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drive a Durango. Bike fits laying on its side with no special adjustments. I just make certain the chainrings are facing up. I do have a bike rack though, for the longer duration trips or for when I need cargo space for other stuff.
Old 02-16-06, 12:25 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We have a Toyota Sienna. I remove the third row seats, remove the bike front wheel and lay it on it's side. If I have 2 bikes, I lay an old blanket in between the two to keep them from nicking each other.
Old 02-16-06, 12:30 PM
geraldatwork

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Ford Explorer with 3hree rows of seats. The 3rd row is always folded down. I just fold down the 2nd row and put the bike in on it's side. Nothing has to come off or be adjusted. Very convenient. If I happen to have two passengers I just flip up one of the 3hree seats in the 2nd row and the bike still fits. For longer trips with passengers I have a rack that fits on the rear door.
Old 02-16-06, 01:02 PM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Dodge Grand Caravan with the rear sear removed and a homemade platform with eyelets for tie down anchors. The platform is two pieces of plywood with 2x4s in the center for support, similar to a pallet. To load my bicycle with forks(or any bike) I slide the bike in upside down. The rear of the bike goes in first and the front wheel is removed. Sometimes I use tie down straps to keep the bike in place.
Old 02-16-06, 01:11 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I drive a Saturn Vue, and I have a 4 bike hitch rack that I keep on during cycling season.

I can fit any bike in the back by folding down the back seat and laying the bike in sideways with the front wheel turned up. I usually do this with the derailleur side up (to avoid tweaking it) and it seems to be easier to maneuver for me with the front wheel going in first, and basically pushing it in at an angle, then laying it down, turning the wheel and sliding it in the last few inches.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-16-06, 01:20 PM
outofthesaddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Honda Element and I can fit two (I haven't tried three) bikes inside upright with both wheels. I can also fit extra wheels, trainer, igloo cooler, etc. I just fold the rear seats up and hook the bar through a little bungie on the seat back. I keep a bike in my car this way most of the time for lunchtime rides.
Old 02-16-06, 02:00 PM
tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toyota Sienna. 3rd row down & 2nd row forward. I use a velcro strap through the 3rd row seat belt guide and strap it around the seat post. I use a velcro strap through the 2nd row seat belt guide and strap it around the headset.

Since I leave the straps running through the guides it takes about 30 seconds to put the bike in or take it out. I could leave 1 of the 2nd seats in and only flatten part of the 3rd row seat, but since I don't need them I leave them foward and down whcih makes it easier to move around.
Old 02-16-06, 02:05 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Ford Escape.....I just fold down the rear seats and throw my bike in, front wheel attached and all (obviously, I lay the bike on its' side)....
Old 02-16-06, 02:38 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are we sure this isn't a ploy to 'out' all the SUV owners?

Road and XC bike I can just roll in the back of a minivan and throw an old blanket over it for padding and theft reduction. Sometimes I have to lower the seat.

The big DH bike (they are a lot longer, I didn't realize until I tried) needs to lose the front wheel to fit in anything... Which is why it's annoying that most of the new DH and freeride forks require tools to get the front wheel off.
Old 02-16-06, 03:20 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a '97 Honda Odyssey, the smaller Accord based model, with the bucket seat 2nd row. I usually keep the thrid row folded down, and I have a fork mount bolted to a 2x4. I remove the fornt wheel, then roll the rear between the 2nd row, then clamp the fork. The front wheel then fits under a third row seat belt and is cradled between the 2x4 and a seat hinge, which secures the wheel from bouncing around.

The rear bumper is low enough to sit on to change shoes too. I also get 26 mpg around town and 30 mpg highway.
Old 02-16-06, 05:18 PM
dan828

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an '04 Jeep Liberty, and I can fit my bike in on it's side with the front wheel removed and the rear seats laying down. I usually use my spare mounted Thule bike rack though, the arms fold out of the way when not in use so it just lays flat against the spare. I can also open the tailgate with it on and with bikes on it.
Old 02-16-06, 05:43 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't need a SUV.
One bike fits in the back of a Subaru Legacy wagon, wheels and all. Bed liner and a plastic bag protects the carpet. There is even room for several bags of groceries, luggage, or an extra passenger if I put up half the back seat.
From March to December I usually store the bike in the car. Easier than keeping it in the back of the shed behind the lawnmower.

I used to be able to get my bike into a Nissan Sentra hatchback without taking the wheels off, but it was a very tight fit.
Old 02-16-06, 11:29 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by outofthesaddle
I have a Honda Element and I can fit two (I haven't tried three) bikes inside upright with both wheels. I can also fit extra wheels, trainer, igloo cooler, etc. I just fold the rear seats up and hook the bar through a little bungie on the seat back. I keep a bike in my car this way most of the time for lunchtime rides.

Great car, this is the reason I asked. My friend uses one of these and I was amazed at how his bike fit in so easily, and upright. He says he just hoses the interior down (I guess it's waterproof?) and there is a drain for the water. He said that he doesn't want to take the wheel off due to the locking disk brake thing.

I'm also surprised that Cadd can get two bikes into that CRV. That thing is tiny (but big!).
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-16-06, 11:50 PM
metal_cowboy

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to drive a Ford Aerostar minivan. When I took out the two rear bench seats, I could put our tandem in without having to remove any of the wheels. That was a great van.

I now have a Ford Explorer and a Mercury Moutaineer: both have roof racks...man, I miss that van.
Old 02-17-06, 12:30 AM
Pink_Ninja
Mullet Boy!

Bikes: a giant upland 03, old europia road bike or something and soon to be getting a Norco Bigfoot or something of the sort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
utes are better..
Old 02-17-06, 09:16 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadd
Here are some pics. I folded the rear seats forward, took off the front wheel & attached the front fork onto the skewers. Ghetto? Yes, but it cost me about 1 hour of labor & less than $10 for the skewers.

This picture is taken with the driverside rear door open

Here's the view from the driver's seat looking back

From the rear

I can fit both bikes in with the front wheels attached if I turn the handle bar at a 90 degree angle. It barely fits. But since I was taking a 6 hour drive, I didn't want the bikes to bounce around.
Hey that looks great! You've given me another winter project to whip up.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 02-17-06, 09:49 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Great car, this is the reason I asked. My friend uses one of these and I was amazed at how his bike fit in so easily, and upright. He says he just hoses the interior down (I guess it's waterproof?) and there is a drain for the water. He said that he doesn't want to take the wheel off due to the locking disk brake thing.
Tell your friend to stop doing that! Honda never intended for the interior to be hosed out. the Element has insulation under the floor mat like any other vehicle. If the insulation gets wet, it will grow mold and the car will be contaminated like it's been in a flood. When the Element was first released, some fool magazine writer stated in an article that the Element could be hosed out. He just made it up.

Your friend should remove the seats and pull up the floor mat so it can dry out under there.
Old 02-17-06, 09:58 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
Tell your friend to stop doing that! Honda never intended for the interior to be hosed out. the Element has insulation under the floor mat like any other vehicle. If the insulation gets wet, it will grow mold and the car will be contaminated like it's been in a flood. When the Element was first released, some fool magazine writer stated in an article that the Element could be hosed out. He just made it up.
+1
We can very easily get 2 bikes in the back of the Element plus all the other biking stuff. I take the front wheel off mine and just slide it in. I don't actually have to take the front wheel of my wife's bike. It fits just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.