Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Light assist e-road bike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Light assist e-road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 10:28 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
.... and besides that, it's a lot of fun.

I'm looking at the Trek Domane road e-bike. It too has a 160Wh extra range battery. Interestingly enough, Delta allows one to carry 2 160WH max batteries in your carryon luggage. My plan is to to take out the main battery in the downtime (fairly simple) and then to get two of the range extender batteries and then take the bike along on the airplane. The internal battery is 360WH, so the two extender batteries are almost the same.

So, one of the places I wanted to do this was to take the bike to the EU. For me, that requires Delta to AMS and then KLM from there to my destination. KLM has a similar policy but you need to get approval in advance for the battery. I wound up having this continual circular discussion - KLM says they can approve the battery once I have a ticket. I keep telling them that I'm not buying the ticket until I know I can do this. Round and round we go....

J.
If you're planning to go to the EU with an eBike, the batteries are just one concern. The EU allows a lot less power and speed than is allowed in the USA. Might be better off renting in Europe.
Old 10-18-23, 10:44 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
If you're planning to go to the EU with an eBike, the batteries are just one concern. The EU allows a lot less power and speed than is allowed in the USA. Might be better off renting in Europe.
Made me look--they do have quite different regs.

On the plus side, being the Crazy American with his Class 3 bike could be a lot of fun. And if anybody asks, just act confused at the difference between kph and mph (the current boost limit is 25 kph).
Old 10-18-23, 12:16 PM
Dokiz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Hey DW,

I totally get where you're coming from. The need for a lighter e-bike with just a bit of assist is something I have been chasing for a long time. While I had settled on a Canyon Commuter e-bike (that I won't recommend due to Fazua lack of reliability), I'd recommend looking into the Specialized Turbo Vado 4 or 5 equipped with the SL 1.1 motor. It's a lighter motor that doesn’t overpower you and should provide the 10 - 20 Nm assist range you're looking for, allowing for a more traditional riding experience while still giving that extra push when needed.

By the way, I was at the Specialized headquarters recently and inquired about the upcoming SL 1.2 motor. They mentioned it's going to be released soon. While it might bring some enhancements, it's always a toss-up if it’ll change the aspects we appreciate about the current models.
Old 10-19-23, 07:49 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
Yes, I'm aware of the whole issue. The EU, just like many localities in NA, is struggling with where and how to use them. I'm fairly sure that over time, it's going to be an ever widening usage of e-bikes on both bike infrastructure and roads in both the EU and NA. The trend is already there and the user numbers just continue to climb. Users, bike manufacturers, city planners, and the police are all going to be pushing for more liberal requirements. That's a whole lot of pressure to withstand. Ultimately, the answer is not to focus on the bike itself but rather on enforcing a speed limit on the particular bike infrastructure especially on MUP style paths.

Right now, the biggest hurdle for traveling even in the US with an e-bike is the battery size issue with airlines. Even that's falling pretty fast with both the increasing size of batteries on aircraft. Delta, for example, is now allowing no bigger than 160WH batteries and you can carry two in your carryon luggage. A year ago it was less. Also bike manufacturers are turning their attention to making travel capable batteries/bikes. Both Specialized and Trek make "range extender" batteries that fit the 160WH requirement and removing the internal, larger battery is pretty simple.

So, right now, I would have no problem traveling in North America with that Class 3 Trek Domane+ with the internal battery removed, the bike packaged in my regular bike case and two range extender batteries in my carryon luggage.

Regulators and airlines are all going to get there, they just move at the speed of a bureaucratic glacier.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 10-23-23, 12:00 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
My impression is that the EU and UK enforce their laws a lot more consistently than they are in the states. (I'm a regulatory engineer by trade, and that has been my experience with safety and EMC certifications over there. They are Honor System, but they actually audit a lot more often.)
Old 10-23-23, 02:30 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The Class III bikes with the battery integrated into the frame or with a range extender battery in a water bottle cage are not going to attract the attention of local police. It is the Class II where the individual has in effect and electric scooter. With the airlines it depends on the individual who is managing the boarding process. If you are white they are not likely to care what you bring on board unless it is alcohol.

Five years ago when I was in China I was struck by how very quiet the motor scooters were in town until I realized that they are all electric powered. The city planners created separate lanes for scooters and bicyclists to use that were protected from auto and truck traffic. A lot of the scooters were compact enough to fit inside an elevator so they could be taken indoors for charging.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 10-27-23, 08:32 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by geekaybikes1
A light assist e-road bike, often referred to as an e-road bike or electric road bike, combines the sleek and lightweight design of traditional road bikes with the added advantage of electric assistance. These bikes are designed for riders who want to enjoy the speed and agility of road cycling while also getting a boost when needed.

Explore our collection to find the ideal e-road bike for your cycling needs. Enjoy the thrill of the open road with a little extra assistance to make your ride even more enjoyable!
great another dealer posting the same crap and telling low end heavy bikes.
Old 10-27-23, 11:20 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
He won't last long (probably gone for good by now). Just report them and poof.
Old 10-28-23, 08:17 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
He won't last long (probably gone for good by now). Just report them and poof.
Plus nott even selling bikes in the us. There must be an instruction manual they always come in the same and Act like they are talking to people that know nothing about bikes.
Likes For fooferdoggie: