Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Race coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23, 03:37 AM
Greatest Runner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Race coming soon

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I would like to talk to you about how it is possible to train for an ironman and what times are possible to achieve. I'm training every day and I still see a margin for improvement, except that by next year I should face an important race. I'll update you continuously because I would like to receive more... Some advice well... Thank you
Old 11-30-23, 07:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Triathlon
Old 11-30-23, 08:45 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatest Runner
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I would like to talk to you about how it is possible to train for an ironman and what times are possible to achieve. I'm training every day and I still see a margin for improvement, except that by next year I should face an important race. I'll update you continuously because I would like to receive more... Some advice well... Thank you
GR — As a fellow triathlete myself, if you want more discussion about triathlon, I’d advise you to seek out a triathlon-specific discussion forum on a triathlon website (not the triathlon forum here on the BFs). Yes, it is a triathlon forum, but what little discussion happens in there is usually geared more toward triathlon bikes, their maintenance and setup, and riding in triathlons. I’m not saying you can’t post there, or that you won’t get a response(s). But there’s just not much traffic in that forum.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 11-30-23 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-30-23, 09:25 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 374 Posts
"♫Too much, too little, to late to ever tri again♫"....
Put a rest day in there every so often. What time can be achieved is a very personal thing. The good thing about such long, steady effort events is that commitment and determination are as important as pure talent and ability. Go get 'em.
Old 11-30-23, 09:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatest Runner
Not to be dismissive, but what times are possible for you heavily depends on your gender, age, athletic ability, mental outlook and stamina, training schedule, and more. Nobody here knows any of those things for you.
Old 11-30-23, 09:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
One of several threads started by people that just joined today. Anyone's spidy senses on alert?
Old 11-30-23, 01:11 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
GR — As a fellow triathlete myself, if you want more discussion about triathlon, I’d advise you to seek out a triathlon-specific discussion forum on a triathlon website (not the triathlon forum here on the BFs). Yes, it is a triathlon forum, but what little discussion happens in there is usually geared more toward triathlon bikes, their maintenance and setup, and riding in triathlons. I’m not saying you can’t post there, or that you won’t get a response(s). But there’s just not much traffic in that forum.

Dan
Hell, there's not even that much discussion about bikes. I've posted there a fair amount and it just doesn't move. I posted a couple weeks back about a 70.3 I'm doing on Sunday. I've gotten two replies, I think, and my last post was the last post made in that section in more than a week.

On what triathlon forum do you post?
Old 11-30-23, 03:48 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
If you're after tri advice and info you'd probably be best hitting up a tri-specific forum ... SLOWTWITCH TRIATHLON FORUM
Old 11-30-23, 04:10 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
If you're after tri advice and info you'd probably be best hitting up a tri-specific forum ... SLOWTWITCH TRIATHLON FORUM
Thanks. Just signed up.
Old 11-30-23, 04:18 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by VegasJen
I posted a couple weeks back about a 70.3 I'm doing on Sunday. I've gotten two replies, I think, and my last post was the last post made in that section in more than a week.
One of those responses is from me. But…I don’t really have a tri forum that I go to anymore. I call myself a triathlete, but in reality, after doing them since the inception of the sport in my early 20s, I’m not doing tris for the past few years now. I’m 62 years old and had to have a hip replacement a few years ago. And now, just had a total knee replacement Oct 23rd. So, I’m not really able to run anymore. Consequently, triathlons are pretty much outta the question. But I do still swim a lot, and obviously cycle too. — Dan
Old 11-30-23, 04:46 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
One of those responses is from me. But…I don’t really have a tri forum that I go to anymore. I call myself a triathlete, but in reality, after doing them since the inception of the sport in my early 20s, I’m not doing tris for the past few years now. I’m 62 years old and had to have a hip replacement a few years ago. And now, just had a total knee replacement Oct 23rd. So, I’m not really able to run anymore. Consequently, triathlons are pretty much outta the question. But I do still swim a lot, and obviously cycle too. — Dan
I think you're the exact reason "aquabike" was invented.
Old 11-30-23, 06:43 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Aren't there different length of triathlons? Or more to the point how far are the cycling legs in the races you're aiming for? I have to ask because I'm not one of 'those guys' and don't know any better.
Old 11-30-23, 09:41 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Aren't there different length of triathlons? Or more to the point how far are the cycling legs in the races you're aiming for? I have to ask because I'm not one of 'those guys' and don't know any better.

Dan