Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Haul ST not ready for Prime Time

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Haul ST not ready for Prime Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 11:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Good point(s) and always a potential problem with "new reviewers". Fortunately BF is pretty good at ferreting out these "unbiased" diatribes.
I can check if they are obviously from specialized, but I imagine Specialized is a lot better at hiding that. At some point the one person that had an exceptional experience with this bike and is enthusiastic about it is going to start to wear on people and the effect of them further gushing about it and discounting other people's problems with the bike will be counterproductive.

My approach to reading reviews is to see if I think the problems that other people have with an item would cause me an issue. And then buy from a source that I'm sure would make things right. Sounds like Spesh has a problem with these bikes and if enough shops get on them for it they probably will fix the issues. Unfortunately the local Spesh shop is factory owned, so I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. And I wouldn't buy direct through their ship to store program.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-31-23, 05:02 PM
rmaher001

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just returned mine. The store folks were super nice. They said that they just had three Globe Hauls returned. I have no experience with Specialized other than this one bike. I understand that this is a first gen bike with all the potential issues that come with a new line. What turned me off is the fact that they are hiding the negative reviews on their site. I trusted the reviews on their site and made the decision to buy the bike based on them. I said to myself that this is Specialized. I was wrong in trusting them. I unfortunately cannot excuse such deceptive practices.
Old 07-25-23, 11:07 AM
r0b0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same experiences plus a month for brake warranty issue

I have had the same experiences trying to share a negative review via the Specialized website and some similar issues with the bike.

On the first day of ownership, the bike would not power on. Took back to my LBS, bike was there for several days to determine it was the "too much grease in connector" issue reported above. After getting the bike back I went to install water bottle cages in the front location. When trying to remove the hex bolts one stripped using the tools provided. There was a too much Locktite applied to this when installed. Luckily, I was able to partially drill out and remove without any frame damage. I also encountered the same issue with another hex bolt when installing the rear pannier racks. After a week or two of light use the rear brake lever went soft, needed to return to LBS for warranty of Tektro brake lever. This took over 3 weeks to get; the authorization, the replacement part, plus the labor to replace the defective lever. Warranty was covered by Tektro, Specialized only warrants the parts of the bike made by Specialized. So after finally getting to ride my bike, I am getting routine various faults where the power drops out completely, can easily be reset by powering off and back on, but if this was a car, this would be a definite RECALL ISSUE. I have had this occur after approaching an intersection with cross traffic, where the power drops out completely. I am going to see if there is more grease to be removed from these connectors. Another issue I have been experiencing is that the headlight seems to have a mind of its own, turning on and off by itself (another potential RECALL ISSUE if this were a car). The range is another issue, 60 miles may be correct for a 100 lb rider going downhill down wind in level 1 power assist, but I find that with a load and my large size I get about half of the 60 miles that Specialized claims). The final issue to report is that the USB port (on the HMI display) does not work to provide power to my iPhone.

For anyone looking to purchase, know that you are getting a first generation model at the low end of what Specialized has to offer, so you may encounter some of these similar issues. I would highly recommend replacing all of the hex bolts with some higher quality stainless steel or hardened bolts. I have not seen a single video review online from an actual owner of this bike but have seen many written posts that include similar issues to those posted above. I did consider returning my bike, but decided to keep it because I like what it is (a compact cargo bike with 700W motor and added throttle) and will continue to try to remedy the things that are not 100%. This is my first Specialized product and I remain disappointed that my reviews have not been allowed on the website but remain hopeful that any further warranty issues will be resolved quickly. I agree that this bike is "not ready for prime time" but hope that Specialized can figure out how to add some better bolts and ensure the components are installed under more rigorous quality supervision.
Old 07-26-23, 08:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
If a little grease on the connector is causing a problem, they are using the wrong kind of connector. Anything that's going to work long-term has connectors that would wipe through the grease.
Old 07-26-23, 10:51 AM
Captain Ron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same issue with my hex bolts, and I agree they probably used the wrong kind of thread lock or just way, way too much. I've used ALL of the extra mounting lugs which have come in handy. I don't even understand WHY they used thread lock to begin with. Really stupid. I used the ones on the rear of the frame to mount a conspicuity flag holder and for a small umbrella used at breaks. Arizona sun is brutal.

In the future if you encounter this issue on ANY bolt - stop - and slowly screw it back in a little, then out a little. It will take some time but eventually help to "clear" the threads. If you keep unscrewing generally it will make it worse as the thread locker jams the threads. A heat gun (careful here not to cook the paint/powder coating!) with a focusing tip around the lugs can be helpful too. It will allow the lug threads to expand slightly. Just be really careful if you go this route and take your time. Less is more... VERY easy to create a disaster.

I'm on almost 4 months of use now with my Haul at over 400 miles and still no issues except for the initial over grease.

Taken it on some pretty brutal Forest Service roads as well. I installed a Thud Buster seat post which helps a LOT. Airing the tires down to minimums provides somewhat of a "suspension" along with my rework of the miserable and cheap seat using visco elastic foam.
Old 07-26-23, 10:59 AM
Captain Ron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never did get into the details with the bike shop, but I suspect the extra grease (which will not compress) probably caused the connector not to be firmly seated in the first place or back out as the grease warmed and expanded. My issue happened on a hot day in the middle of a ride. Then, miraculously cured itself once it cooled off.

The good news is the problem seems to completely resolved.
Old 08-29-23, 12:18 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Specialized launches 28 MPH Globe Haul LT electric cargo bike with throttle

https://electrek.co/2023/08/29/speci...ic-cargo-bike/
Old 09-08-23, 12:23 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by r0b0
I have had the same experiences trying to share a negative review via the Specialized website and some similar issues....
Hello - always good to hear opinions and experiences from an actual owner. I think the 'look' of the Haul ST with the 4 waste basket panniers is AMAZING (and expensive once you buy the required hardware and panniers!) But, a cargo bike with a hub motor concerns me. One question:

What happens if you load the Haul ST up with 70# of groceries and a 185# rider...then need to climb a 1/2 mile long 5% grade?

Do you shift to the lowest gear and try to spin up the hill at 5mph? Or do you attack the hill at speed and mash a bigger gear somehow hoping to make it to the top before the motor cant take it?

I've watched a bunch of videos about the Haul ST and it looks to me like it would be pretty easy to simply run out of juice on an extended climb with a loaded bike and stop dead because the motor is overwhelmed.

Thanks!

Likes For jlaw:
Old 09-08-23, 02:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
[QUOTE=jlaw;23009603]H
I've watched a bunch of videos about the Haul ST and it looks to me like it would be pretty easy to simply run out of juice on an extended climb with a loaded bike and stop dead because the motor is overwhelmed.

Thanks!

[QUOTE]
Yes the gearing to go 20 mph and 28 are different. Since most e bikes only have one chainring there are limits. hauling weight and hills you need a smaller chainring then you need to go 28mph. like our mid drive tandem is geared with a 11-42 cassette and 36 chainring. we can climb with a lot of work 20# grades but we can only spin to about 20mph. You need a 46 chainring for 28mph but thats too large for good climbing for a load.
Old 10-05-23, 02:45 PM
m@Robertson

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
What happens if you load the Haul ST up with 70# of groceries and a 185# rider...then need to climb a 1/2 mile long 5% grade?
Unfortunately these are two scenarios where the use of a hub motor is the big limiting factor in the utility of the bike. However, Specialized has done a good job of stretching a single-speed hub motor's capabilities as much as possible. First of all, they've used 20" wheels and that gives you a significant torque advantage over say a 26" wheel. Next, they use a pretty powerful motor. Exactly how powerful it really is (newton meters vs. the useless wattage rating) is not publicly shared so far as I can tell. Everyone I have heard describing its output sings its praises.

But anyone wanting a utility bike who lives in hills would be far better served with a mid drive motor that is immune to these basic-fit-for-purpose concerns.

I live at the top of a short, intensely steep hill. My neighbor has a Haul ST now and she loves it. Her husband tells me she can blow him away going up the straight steep portion (he has a Specialized road ebike; I forget the specific model) However I haven't seen her take her kids straight up that steep route.

Several months into the ST's launch, the initial bugs noted here seem to have been addressed and it appears to be very popular. Its not for me, but I'm always happy to see more cargo bike riders.
Old 10-05-23, 05:44 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw

Add a front hub motor for emergencies