Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Nashbar, ridiculous

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Nashbar, ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 08:35 PM
dan828

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar, ridiculous

I ordered a new trainer and some other things just after 12:00. It shipped at 5:30 and has already left Ohio. Come on, what if I'd changed my mind or something? This is just way to fast.

The 10% coupon was nice too.
Old 11-15-05, 09:11 PM
jhota
blithering idiot

Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you keep using that word. i do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 11-15-05, 09:16 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by dan828
I ordered a new trainer and some other things just after 12:00. It shipped at 5:30 and has already left Ohio. Come on, what if I'd changed my mind or something? This is just way to fast....
Those guys in shipping must be on something....
Old 11-15-05, 09:27 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
They ship in less than 6 hours, but they send it from the US via China on the slow boat each way.
Old 11-16-05, 02:43 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You made up a word. I fixed it.
Old 11-16-05, 09:43 AM
BryE
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered a new trainer and some other things just after 12:00. It shipped at 5:30 and has already left Ohio. Come on, what if I'd changed my mind or something? This is just way to fast.

Now just wait to see how long it actually takes to get there. I ordered a few small parts recently on a Friday morning. The package shipped that afternoon. It wasn't delivered until the Monday after the following Friday (that is, shipping took 10 days), and I'm only two states away. Seriously, would it kill Nashbar (and Performance, too) to use UPS where you can at least track your package instead of the US Postal Service?

Last edited by BryE; 11-16-05 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-16-05, 11:45 AM
dan828

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
You made up a word. I fixed it.
And I thank you, from the very bottom of my soul I thank you, .

Originally Posted by BryE
Now just wait to see how long it actually takes to get there. I ordered a few small parts recently on a Friday morning. The package shipped that afternoon. It wasn't delivered until the Monday after the following Friday (that is, shipping took 10 days), and I'm only two states away. Seriously, would it kill Nashbar (and Performance, too) to use UPS where you can at least track your package instead of the US Postal Service?
I paid for the two day FedEx ($10 more) so it should get here tomorrow. Sometimes I just can't wait for my new toys.
Old 11-16-05, 02:37 PM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If only I could have such a problem. Most of my orders take four days to dhip even as a repeat customer. My last two orders have taken six working days to be delivered from 120 miles away.
Old 11-16-05, 03:54 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How did they ship it? MOst of my Nashbar orders come US Parcel Post and they are sloooooooooooooow.

With that said, i ordered a rack on MOnday and it was on the porch at noon today. (Wednesday) Maybe they have changed something? I quit ordering from them for awhile because they were so slow.
Old 11-16-05, 04:32 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jhota
you keep using that word. i do not think it means what you think it means.
Inconceivable!
Old 11-16-05, 05:19 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
How did they ship it? MOst of my Nashbar orders come US Parcel Post and they are sloooooooooooooow.

With that said, i ordered a rack on MOnday and it was on the porch at noon today. (Wednesday) Maybe they have changed something? I quit ordering from them for awhile because they were so slow.
They (or is it USPS) seem to go in cycles (pun). Last year stuff use to get to me in three to four days, including wheel sets. Lately it's been more like seven to fourteen days, a set of shoes actually took three weeks after I recieved the shipped notice.

The latest twist with USPS is that they'll hold the item at the post office, leaving me the lil "we tried to deliver" ticket. Oddly enough these correspond to days with inclement weather. Guess they don't like going out in the "rain, snow or dark of night" anymore.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 11-16-05, 05:32 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Gnashbar used to be amazingly fast. I'd order stuff and get it in a day or two in spite of ordering it regular ground. Then came the UPS strike and they changed their shipping mix. I don't know if that was the cause or the effect, but now delivery times are much longer. I've ordered and not gotten confirmation of shipment for 4 days. Of my last 3 or 4 orders, none have gotten to me in less than 7 days; and for one, I checked after ten days to find they'd shipped to a bad address and I had to wait 14 days for them to reship. Needless to say, my Gnashbar orders have dwindled as a result. There are plenty of other companies who are willing to vie for my dollars.

Poorformance, (same company) isn't much better. I received my last order in only 4 days, after paying for 2-day delivery. One part was backordered and took... longer.
Old 11-16-05, 05:47 PM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So is the issue the company, or the carrier?

There's a little shop in New York called B&H Photo. Ok, they're a big shop. Several blocks long. Huge, actually. When UPS went on strike, they switched to FedEx, just like that. But FedEx for me meant that if I wasn't home to get the package, I'd have to drive 45 miles round trip to pick it up at their depot. UPS was across the street from my office at the time.

I've had USPS crush a steel pipe. 3" tubing, and they crushed it! UPS online confirmed delivery of a bike frame for me. I called them to verify their info, as it wasn't delivered to me. The operator was pretty insistent that I should have it - driver's notes indicated he left it by front door of 634. Great, I'll just leave my home at 643, and go get it from my neighbour. The label was correct, driver error. FedEx left 2 boxes for me at a totally different address as well. I worked for an insurance company, and gave my work address. For reasons unexplained, the driver left my boxes at a completely different address (an insurance agency) two miles up the road.

So all things being equal, buy from whoever has the best deal, seems like all the carriers stuff up at some point or another.
Old 11-16-05, 11:09 PM
steveknight

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats nothing I have a couple of industreal supply places that if I order before noon I get it the next day and I only pay ground shipping. as soon as the order is placed it's too late to change it. hows that for speed?
Old 11-18-05, 09:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Expatriate asks:
So is the issue the company, or the carrier?
Both. If I paid for 4 or 5 day delivery, then I expect to wait. But I don't expect it to take several days for my order to leave the dock at Nashbar & the clock to start ticking for the carrier. Which is what often happens. That tells me that despite the online inventory system telling me it's in stock, it's not.
Old 11-18-05, 11:36 AM
dan828

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steveknight
thats nothing I have a couple of industreal supply places that if I order before noon I get it the next day and I only pay ground shipping. as soon as the order is placed it's too late to change it. hows that for speed?
Yeah, there are a couple of places I deal with regularly that do the same (McMaster-Carr industrial stuff and cablewholesale.com for computer cables, if anyone is interested). I just didn't expect Nashbar to get out my order so fast. And I recieved it yesterday, so no complaints at all. I have my personal stuff delivered to our shipping department at work, that way I know that someone will sign for it, and since the drivers are here every day dropping off things anyways they know the address so don't end up giving it to the neighbors.
Old 11-18-05, 02:46 PM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Once you guys experience USPS surface shipping (by boat to Australia) everything else seems pretty fast. We've never waited more than 3 months for anything. Or nearly as bad, UPS international, so you get hit with a $57.50 customs fee.
Old 11-19-05, 06:19 AM
Lion Steve

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber

The latest twist with USPS is that they'll hold the item at the post office, leaving me the lil "we tried to deliver" ticket. Oddly enough these correspond to days with inclement weather. Guess they don't like going out in the "rain, snow or dark of night" anymore.
Actually, many times, they leave the notice to pick up because they don't want to leave the package out in bad weather. I was a mail carrier for nearly 35 years.