Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbent trike for a disabled person?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 06:42 PM
dan828

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My brother-in-law's brother had a stroke a couple of years ago after being hit by a car while on foot (he stopped to help at a car accident and an idiot rubernecker plowed into him because he was looking at the wreck instead of the road). Anyways, he had two badly broken legs that didn't heal that great and has partial paralysis on his right side. He used to run 5-10 miles a day but is now pretty much house bound. He has a recumbant exercise bike that he uses from time to time, but I was thinking that he may like to get out and exercise and a recumbent trike might be just the thing. Does anyone have any suggestions or recomendations for something that would work for him? Stability and easy control being to main factors to look for, and he would only be able to brake using his left hand. Also, he'd probably need some sort of parking brake for getting on and off (although we could probably rig something up if need be).

If anyone has any experience with something along these lines I'd appriciate advice. Thanks.
Old 12-13-05, 07:25 PM
trailwarrior

Bikes: 2014 Muru Mungo, 2014 Surly ECR, 2006 HP Velotechnik Scorpion,2001 ICE Trice Micro,1995 Specialized Globe 7,1979 Schwinn LeTour IV Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, they make single lever brakes for recumbent trikes which allow you to brake both front wheels simultaneously. I debated getting this option on my new HP Velotechnik Scorpion, but I didn't. You can also get something like the Rohloff Speedhub and use a single chainring which eliminates the need for front derailleur and allows for one hand shifting. I have the Rohloff Speedhub on my Scorpion and I love it.
https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkt...details_e.html

You mentioned he has leg injury. You may also want to consider Handcycles. I just got a great deal on a used Top End XLT-Gold through bike-on.com. I purchased the handcycle because I can alternate with riding my recumbent for cross-training and still be riding. I also believe the Handcycle provides a better workout than the recumbent.
https://www.bike-on.com

You may also want to check with Lightfoot Cycles which specializes in special needs.
https://www.lightfootcycles.com/special.htm
Old 12-14-05, 10:17 AM
BK Xray

Bikes: EZ Tandem, Catrike Road, EZ Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S&B Recumbents (recumbnts@pacbell.net)will make customized bikes for impaired individuals. They tend to be lower priced than many other companies. I just ordered a recumbent tandem trike off them and Jack Baker was very nice to work with. Their Venice Beach trike has a higher seat than most tadpole designs and should be easier to mount. It also comes with the option of OSS if needed. They show a picture of it with a boot setup on one leg for a handicapped individual. Of course the EZ recumbents are an option with several delta trikes and a tadpole as well but probably not going to have special designs. I think Organic Engines and others will also adapt a bike for special needs. There are also some who offer both hand and foot power on the same bike, the combo might increase his ability.
Old 12-19-05, 12:21 PM
beatle bailey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
J and B Imports sell the Sun line of trikes, the EZ3 and the EZ3 USX and now the new Sun Tadpole. All of them have a parking brake. They are reasonable priced, and easy to get on and off.
Old 12-31-05, 01:52 PM
jman7659

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sid Gowdy is from Southern Cal. and he custom builds affordable trikes to suit the needs of handicaped riders as well as folks who just like them
He can provide you refrences from handicaped riders who are very happy with his trikes, and they do have a hand brake for entering and exiting the machine. all this for a starting price under a grand , he has some videos you can watch at his site and he is very easy to contact when you have questions. Worth a look definately.
Sid Gowdy
American Cruiser Company
619-281-6720
Authorized Currie Electric Power Dealer
https://www.AmeriCruiser.com
TriCruiser2000@aol.com

Good luck, I ride several recumbents but if I ever get to where I can't ride without extra help, Sid will be my "My go to guy"
Happy Trails,
Joe Martin
ActionBent Tidal Wave 2 SWB USS
Burley Koosah LWB OSS
Cannondale Pepperoni M500 Hybrid
Old 12-31-05, 02:03 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Bikes: Performer JC-70

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ride fast on that thing. It looks tippy
Old 01-01-06, 12:23 AM
thermalgran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was recently given a recumbent bicycle as it is hard for me to ride a normal type bicycle. I am handicapped and it is indeed easier. I have a problem with balancing so we were thinking a tricycle would be more what I need. Does anyone know of where we might get directions on how to convert the recumbent bicycle into a recumbent tricycle? Thanks
Old 01-01-06, 02:04 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been shopping for a bent myself and am amazed at the things they can do for disabled riders.... Try this list....
https://www.recumbents.com/recumbents.asp
Old 01-01-06, 04:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You might also consider an Irish Mail. No, it's not a cart with a leather bag on it. Irish Mails are 4-wheel row bikes. Here's an intro:

https://www.math.msu.edu/~drachman/cycle/irishmail.html
Old 01-01-06, 06:17 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a few trike riders who have neurological problems, but not any problems using legs or hands. They all ride Logos, but that's mostly because in my area Logos and Catrikes are what most people who have trikes ride. I have a Catrike Pocket and you can't really ride it safely with one hand exclusively. Gotta have two hands for braking.
Old 01-02-06, 07:48 AM
MrEWorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a shop in Illinois, www.thebikerack.com that has a section called Creative Mobility.
a quote from their page

"Creative Mobility is about putting a positive spin on wheelchairs and adaptive bikes. Enabling people to go where they've never gone is our specialty. Check out our online catalog featuring many different types of adaptive equipment. Here you will find pictures, specifications and pricing info. Our catalog features wheelchairs, hand powered bikes and adaptive trikes, bikes and tandems.

At Creative Mobility, we specialize in helping you find the right equipment solution for your specific needs. Custom fitting is an integral part of what we can do for you. Seating, adaptations and modifications are only part of the services we offer. Fittings by appointment.

Please email us or call Hal at 1-800-711-BIKE to set up a time for us to meet."
Old 01-02-06, 11:07 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by thermalgran
Does anyone know of where we might get directions on how to convert the recumbent bicycle into a recumbent tricycle?
The best way I know to convert a 2-wheeler into a 3-wheeler is to use the 2-wheeler as a trade-in.
Old 01-02-06, 02:17 PM
dan828

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jman7659
Sid Gowdy is from Southern Cal. and he custom builds affordable trikes to suit the needs of handicaped riders as well as folks who just like them
He can provide you refrences from handicaped riders who are very happy with his trikes, and they do have a hand brake for entering and exiting the machine. all this for a starting price under a grand , he has some videos you can watch at his site and he is very easy to contact when you have questions. Worth a look definately.
Sid Gowdy
American Cruiser Company
619-281-6720
Authorized Currie Electric Power Dealer
https://www.AmeriCruiser.com
TriCruiser2000@aol.com

Good luck, I ride several recumbents but if I ever get to where I can't ride without extra help, Sid will be my "My go to guy"
Happy Trails,
Joe Martin
ActionBent Tidal Wave 2 SWB USS
Burley Koosah LWB OSS
Cannondale Pepperoni M500 Hybrid
This is actually what his brothers ended up getting him for Christmas. It had some things going for it that made it a good choice. It sits up high enough that he'll be able to get in and out without much assistance (and it ain't very tippy, I tooled around in it for a bit and did some hard turns at speed to check that out, it's quite stable). Also, it has single handed steering, braking, and shifting which is absolutely necessary in this case (and Sid had a lefty in stock which is what we needed). Also, as was noted, the price is decent.

And I talked to Sid on the phone several times and he seems to be quite a nice guy and was very helpful with everything.
Old 01-02-06, 02:47 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The best way I know to convert a 2-wheeler into a 3-wheeler is to use the 2-wheeler as a trade-in.
You could also just install training wheels. You could build a quad!
Old 01-16-06, 10:20 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Checkout Worksman NYC built bikes / trikes. This company
builds mostly industrial cycles but they have the "PAV" which
is a semi-recumbent that is handicapped adaptable. There
bikes are also bomb proof so they last a LOOOOOOONG time.

Worksman also does a lot of work for the less abled or the
handicapped so give then a call.

WWW.WORKSMAN.COM