Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Minoura FT-1 wheel truing stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 11:47 PM
bobonker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up a Minoura FT-1 truing stand last year as an upgrade to the Spin Doctor one that I had been using from Performance Bike.

I've had a frustrating time with the FT-1 and am wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

Specifically, the "T" that is included to center the truing "arms" does not seem to get the arms centered properly.

Here's a pic of the stand with the "T" in place.

After performing this step (and ending up with a ~1mm gap on either side of the "T"), if I drop in a couple of known good front wheels, the truing arms that measure runout are not centered. I'll have a ~2mm gap on the left, but a ~6mm gap on the right. The "T" includes 2 small washers and 1 large one. One set of instructions (the main set) says to make sure that the big washer is "on the inside". The 2nd set says to not use the big washer at all. In either scenario, the arms do not end up centered.

Anyone else using this stand?

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by bobonker; 03-06-13 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 01:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, but I have used out of whack truing stands for a long time,
just get a dish stick,
to double check that centering measurement, after flipping the wheel over often..

your picture is [?] now

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-10-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 07:25 AM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobonker
Yup, I've built dozens of wheels using mine, and have never had a problem. I think I've checked the "centering" of the gauge about once. I think the "centering" seems to only really matter if you're planning to set the dish of the wheel using the Minoura. I have a Park Tool WAG-3 Dishing gauge which I use for that purpose. The "Important Notes" in the instructions for the Minoura suggests that you use a wheel-centering gauge for setting the "dish" of the wheel.

HTH -

- Wil
Old 03-06-13, 09:25 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Not familiar with your stand, but can you "flip" the T stick over until you get the same reading both ways?

With my old Park TS-2, IF I'm "centered" for a front (100mm), it's off for a rear and vice-versa.
Old 03-06-13, 11:16 AM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill: The T produces the same result even if I flip it over. So, it appears to be centered. I'll play with it some more (ie, with the washers) and see if I can get to consistent start in the middle. Not a huge deal for truing a rim, but when building a new front wheel, I'd like to know that the rim will end up centered over the hub.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-06-13, 11:47 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine has this problem too, and I use a wheel dish gauge to check the dish after truing the wheel. Yes, it's a work-around solution that I wish wasn't needed, but it gets the job done without spending extra for a better truing stand.
Old 03-06-13, 12:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
I think the Op's problem is believing that a truing stand is also a dishing tool. It's a rare truing stand that can stay centered. I never trust a truing stand for anything other then a suggestion of dish condition. For a proper check of dish you need a proper tool, that's why a dishing tool is made.

Now you can make one out of a flat table top and some blocks and business cards. Place the wheel flat on the table top. It will rock/roll around on it's axle. Place blocks of enough height to support the rim at two opposite points and so the axle is slightly above the table top. Using business cards or coins make a stack and place it under the axle so the stack just touches the axle lock nut. You now have what is in essence a dishing tool. Flip the wheel over and note the stack of cards/coins and whether it touches the lock nut.

I have used this when at friend's houses and we needed to check their wheel's centering. It's easy to carry a few spoke wrenches on your bike, a dishing tool is a bit less easy to carry... Andy.
Old 03-06-13, 02:09 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use a Dishing tool. I have a Minoura stand and have found the only reliable way to dish the wheel is with the tool.
Old 03-06-13, 02:19 PM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not trying to use the stand as a dishing tool. The included instructions make it clear that it was NOT designed for that purpose.

However, they include the "T" to help calibrate things (ie, center the runout arms) and it's annoying that it doesn't seem to do the job. Why even include it? Hence, my thought that maybe it DOES do the job and that it's user error.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-06-13, 03:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Bob- The truing stand has no need to be centered for the indicator to be adjusted close to the rim. Only one side's indicator is needed for truing. Everything else is needless features and extra no value added. The inclusion of the centering tool is for marketing purposes actually. I'll bet when you bought the truing stand you said "cool, it even has a center Gage" (or something like that). Not that there's anything wrong with trying to keep the indicators fairly centered or including a center Gage with a stand. Just that it's not needed. You're methods aren't in error. Andy.
Old 03-06-13, 04:50 PM
lvolpe

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used the park stand and while solid and well built, I will say that as stated by many others, there is no substitute for a dishing gauge.
Old 11-10-13, 12:58 PM
itstom

Bikes: a bunch of mid 80's Fujis, and a specialized Globe City 6 for the rain

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I think the Op's problem is believing that a truing stand is also a dishing tool. It's a rare truing stand that can stay centered. I never trust a truing stand for anything other then a suggestion of dish condition. For a proper check of dish you need a proper tool, that's why a dishing tool is made.

Now you can make one out of a flat table top and some blocks and business cards. Place the wheel flat on the table top. It will rock/roll around on it's axle. Place blocks of enough height to support the rim at two opposite points and so the axle is slightly above the table top. Using business cards or coins make a stack and place it under the axle so the stack just touches the axle lock nut. You now have what is in essence a dishing tool. Flip the wheel over and note the stack of cards/coins and whether it touches the lock nut.

I have used this when at friend's houses and we needed to check their wheel's centering. It's easy to carry a few spoke wrenches on your bike, a dishing tool is a bit less easy to carry... Andy.

That's the best diy dishing tool I've ever heard of! Thanks!
Old 11-10-13, 01:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
its just a reference point. brake pads on the bike are OK too .. [mid trip broken spoke compensation truing].

truing stands are convenient.. again, you might be good to get a 'dish stick' too. (mine is Minoura)

Though wheel flipping is often sufficient.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-10-13 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 07:27 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have their stand and the T doesn't help much. I use a dishing tool and use a true wheel to center the radial gauge.
Old 11-11-13, 09:20 AM
Hendo252 

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by itstom
That's the best diy dishing tool I've ever heard of! Thanks!
FB suggested using soup cans for the blocks -- work great and usually available!
Old 11-11-13, 09:47 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I discovered by using Parks instructions, I was able to center my stand.
I'd picked it up used, and it was misaligned when I got it.
IF I centered it for a front, it would be off on the rear or off on the front with the rear centered.

Basically the concept was-
Adjust the threaded rod with both arms exactly vertical.
IF you don't, "trigonometry" causes the arm "ends" to move different amounts.
Old 11-13-13, 04:37 PM
lvolpe

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Minoura as well as the Park which I later upgraded to and I can tell you that there is no real substitute for a dishing gauge. While flipping the wheel back and forth will serve the purpose, the dishing tool gives a better measurement.