Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

what should I do once my Bikes Direct bike comes?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 07:11 PM
Collegeboy312

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey so today I ordered this bike. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...lite_trail.htm
If I had the money I would have bought a bike from the REI down the street from my apartment but as a college kid It would take a couple more months of saving up before i could afford an REI or LBS bike so decided BD was my best route. I'm stoked to get the bike to use as commuting around campus/downtown and for light trail riding over the summer.

I dont have experience assembling/tuning a bike so I was wondering if someone here could give me a list of things to check on the bike before I take it for a ride. I don't really have money to get it professionally assembled but want to learn how to maintain my own bike. On campus we have a bike shop where they will let you use the tools for a small fee and help you fix/adjust your bike. So I was hoping someone here could give me advice on what i'll need to tune so I can take it to the bike shop on campus and have them help me with it.
Also what kind of multi tool should I get to maintain my bike? Thanks for any advice, I'm excited to get the bike and learn how to take care of it.
Old 04-11-13, 08:13 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well you're gonna have to assemble the bike...so you'll handle everyting yould need to check. They're not gonna drop a fully assembled bike on your doorstep if that's what you're expecting
Old 04-11-13, 08:20 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
It is pretty much fully assembled. Wheels, handle bars and pedals are all that need to be done. There are may vids on Youtube showing how to tune everything. I think Park Tools has a channel.
Old 04-11-13, 09:42 PM
oldpuck81

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Spirit, Motobecane HAL6 Expert & Fantom 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Problema!!

Good decision for all the right reasons! I've bought 2 BD bikes- Motobecane carbon Immortal Spirit & Moto Fantom 29er. Love 'em both! To assemble your bike, go to your local bike shop and get one of those multi-tools that resemble a Swiss Army knife where they have all the necessary bike tools. That's all you really need to assemble. You will have to mount the disc brake components on the wheels with an allen hex wrench, put the seat into the seat tube, mount the handlebar into the head tube, put the quick release skewers into the hubs and mount the wheels. That's about it. Most everything can be done with 2 or 3 allen hex wrenches. The gear shifting should be fairly well adjusted and shouldn't need much fine tuning. Don't forget that the left pedal has left handed threads and goes on opposite spin from the right pedal. The pedals have an L & R stamped on them so check that all out first. Adjusting the disc brakes can be a little tricky if you find that the calipers are dragging the rotor. What you do is loosen the caliper mounting bolts so the rotor is centered after squeezing the levers, so while the lever is squeezed, tighten up the brake bolts with your allen wrench, let go of the lever, then tighten the bolts to their final torque. Remember, if you have a gorilla-grip, don't over tighten bike bolts. There are a lot of aluminum parts and the threads will strip if you over torque them. Go buy a bike pump that has a dual chuck (shrader & presta valves) because you will be pumping up your tires about every week or so. Also go buy a water bottle and holder, an cheap little saddle bag, an extra tube and stow it all in your saddle bag. Maybe a safety flasher and mini-LED headlight so you can tool around campus at night. Your survival rate will increase if you're more visible at night- very important! Enjoy your new bike! BTW- Bikes Direct have good customer service check everything over and if something's wrong, they can help you out via email or phone.
Old 04-11-13, 11:41 PM
Collegeboy312

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldpuck81
Good decision for all the right reasons! I've bought 2 BD bikes- Motobecane carbon Immortal Spirit & Moto Fantom 29er. Love 'em both! To assemble your bike, go to your local bike shop and get one of those multi-tools that resemble a Swiss Army knife where they have all the necessary bike tools. That's all you really need to assemble. You will have to mount the disc brake components on the wheels with an allen hex wrench, put the seat into the seat tube, mount the handlebar into the head tube, put the quick release skewers into the hubs and mount the wheels. That's about it. Most everything can be done with 2 or 3 allen hex wrenches. The gear shifting should be fairly well adjusted and shouldn't need much fine tuning. Don't forget that the left pedal has left handed threads and goes on opposite spin from the right pedal. The pedals have an L & R stamped on them so check that all out first. Adjusting the disc brakes can be a little tricky if you find that the calipers are dragging the rotor. What you do is loosen the caliper mounting bolts so the rotor is centered after squeezing the levers, so while the lever is squeezed, tighten up the brake bolts with your allen wrench, let go of the lever, then tighten the bolts to their final torque. Remember, if you have a gorilla-grip, don't over tighten bike bolts. There are a lot of aluminum parts and the threads will strip if you over torque them. Go buy a bike pump that has a dual chuck (shrader & presta valves) because you will be pumping up your tires about every week or so. Also go buy a water bottle and holder, an cheap little saddle bag, an extra tube and stow it all in your saddle bag. Maybe a safety flasher and mini-LED headlight so you can tool around campus at night. Your survival rate will increase if you're more visible at night- very important! Enjoy your new bike! BTW- Bikes Direct have good customer service check everything over and if something's wrong, they can help you out via email or phone.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I think i can handle most of that with the help of youtube but ill bring it to the bike shop on campus so they can help me with the disc brakes it seem that part will be more tricky. I'm so stoked to get my bike and start riding
Old 04-11-13, 11:54 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Follow the instructions that BD provides you on their site: https://www.bikesdirect.com/instructionhelp.htm
Old 04-12-13, 04:34 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
^ lol exactly, if not youtube has assembly videos
Old 04-21-13, 05:02 AM
U.V.
it cant rain all the time

Bikes: 2 MTB's and 1 commuter bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
might be worth popping into your local bike shop after you've finished it and asking them to give it a quick check-over
Old 04-21-13, 06:20 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Careful, be very careful not to cross-thread anything. Take your time, you're expecting this assembly to last a long time. Remember, the left pedal is reverse threaded, not standard thread.
BTW, what college are you in? If a member is close by, they might come by just to make sure you've got it right.