Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Great idea for a MUP in my town

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 11:21 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://lancasteronline.com/conestoga...a4bcf6878.html

For the non-locals, the "Goat Path" is a graded, bridged, but never paved limited-access bypass to PA-23 that was started in the 70s and cancelled due to lack of funds. It runs from Lancaster city out to the town of Leola. Building the trail described in the article would connect many of the suburbs with the city and would enable riders who aren't comfortable on the roads to use a bicycle for transportation.
Old 01-30-14, 11:54 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I wonder how many roads for motor vehicles were built during this "unfunded" period.

Looks like a great spot for an MUP.
Old 01-30-14, 03:44 PM
richardmasoner
Fritz M

Bikes: Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do I understand correctly that this "goat path" was originally purchased as right-of-way for a highway? If so, that's doubly encouraging to see this non-motoring proposal.
Old 01-31-14, 09:13 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it was meant to be a high-speed bypass for one of the local two-lane highways. They cleared the land, graded it, and even built the overpasses and underpasses and on-ramps and off-ramps. They just never got around to paving it. It's quite interesting to see in person.

Here's a website with some photos. https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/pa/pa_23/1.html

I'm not sure how they're going to connect it to the Health Campus mentioned in the article. Perhaps they'll get an easement along the Amtrak line.
Old 02-01-14, 02:37 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I wonder how many roads for motor vehicles were built during this "unfunded" period.

Looks like a great spot for an MUP.
It was intended to be a motor vehicle highway. Sort of kills whatever point you where claiming.
Old 02-01-14, 03:03 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
It was intended to be a motor vehicle highway. Sort of kills whatever point you where claiming.
Oh we donno... during this same period there might have been lots of funding in other areas of the state for other motor vehicle highways.

BTW my point is that cycling transportation is still transportation and should be funded the same as all other transportation... there should be no priority for individual car roadways over any other form of transport if in fact we are still moving PEOPLE! Motor vehicle exclusive highways tend to be segregated from bicycle use... and generally the vehicles using them are still only carrying one person.
Old 02-01-14, 03:14 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Oh we donno... during this same period there might have been lots of funding in other areas of the state for other motor vehicle highways.

BTW my point is that cycling transportation is still transportation and should be funded the same as all other transportation... there should be no priority for individual car roadways over any other form of transport if in fact we are still moving PEOPLE! Motor vehicle exclusive highways tend to be segregated from bicycle use... and generally the vehicles using them are still only carrying one person.
I am very happy whenever one of the highways I ride on gets resurfaced. Nothing like a nice new smooth surface to ride on. The benefit of a resurfaced road is far greater for cyclists than motorist in my opinion.