Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek FX and Giant Escape bike geometry comparison

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek FX and Giant Escape bike geometry comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 10:00 PM
JediBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Trek FX and Giant Escape bike geometry comparison

Hello, I'm looking for a hybrid bike for short commuting, fitness riding and long distance touring.

I've narrowed it down between the 2014 Trek FX 7.2 and the 2014 Giant Escape 2. Both feel good but I want to know which one would allowed me a more racing position and which is would be more upright as I'm looking for a more aerodynamic position. One of the changes I planned to do is to add aero bars on the handlebars to that end.

Finally my question is: looking at their geometry which one you think is more upright, which more aerodynamic.

Trek FX 7.2 (size 20)

Giant Escape 2 (size 19)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 08-16-14, 10:08 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Do you want a 29er or a performance hybrid? If you want to do all-around rides - get a 29er. If you want to do fast day rides on roads, a performance hybrid is a better fit.
Old 08-17-14, 01:03 AM
Daddy Wags

Bikes: Raleigh Mountain 200.....Giant Escape 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having just closely compared the Trek FX 7.4 and the Giant Escape 0, the most significant difference I found in geometry was the Escape had longer wheelbase and chain stays. As you probably know, the longer wheelbase and chainstay give a more comfy ride (all things being equal) look to the light touring and touring bikes. The shorter wheelbase and chain stays create a more lively feeling bike heading in the direction of a road bike. The above mentioned bikes and the lower models will have the triple cranks, sturdier wheels, and a little higher relaxed riding position than the more expensive models.

Now if you want a more spirited performance hybrid, you go to the Trek 7.5 F X and Giant Escape RX and above models. You get lighter weight, compact double, faster wheels, lower riding position, and more refined components.

I chose the Giant Escape 0 as I wanted a performance hybrid pushing in the direction of a light touring bike.
Old 08-17-14, 04:02 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
As between the two specific bikes you are actually looking at neither is particularly "aero"; stock, the Giant will stretch you out slightly more. However, the Giant has more potential in that regard: longer effective top tube and shorter head tube length. That means you will be able to lower your position/stretch out more on the Giant more easily, if that's what you want, by removing spacers/flipping the stem/adding aero bars etc.

The Escape does have a slightly longer wheelbase, but there's little in it between the two in that regard -- the Trek might feel slightly snappier cornering etc.
Old 08-17-14, 05:47 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer a longer wheelbase of a touring or hybrid bike over the short wheelbase of a road bike as it feels more stable. My body is longer proportionally in the trunk vs. the legs so I like a longer top tube. If it was me, I would prefer the Giant Escape. Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-17-14, 08:26 AM
MissDaisy

Bikes: Salsa Vaya 2; Giant Anthem X4; Trek FX 7.2; Giant Escape 3; Giant Simple Single cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in the exact same position a few weeks ago and I ended up choosing the Trek FX 7.2 based on color. (I know some people are shaking their heads right now...). I prefer the geometry of the Giant - the longer wheel base was more relaxed and comfortable and felt like I could ride for hours on it. I also really liked the slacker seat tube on the Giant, which accommodated my long femurs better. It is amazing how much of an impact there is on feel (more so than fit) from different wheel base measurements. A shorter wheel base (Trek) will definitely feel more agile and sporty. The longer wheel base will feel more comfortable. It is like the difference between a sports car and a sedan - you can drive both, but they feel a bit different in handling and riding. I don't think you could go wrong either choice.
Old 08-17-14, 01:08 PM
Daddy Wags

Bikes: Raleigh Mountain 200.....Giant Escape 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where as the shorter chainstays and wheelbase bikes generally have sharper handling, there is one handling characteristic of the longer wheelbase bikes that I particularly appreciate. If you are descending at fast speed, the longer wheelbase bike will sweep the curves with more control and confidence......as they say....the bike felt like it was on rails.

However, it is a mistake to think longer or shorter wheelbase is the lone determinant in bike handling. Many other factors come into play.
Old 08-18-14, 11:06 AM
JediBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I noticed that too, the escape is more "aero" you go lower, as in the FX you are in a more upright position.
Old 08-18-14, 11:10 AM
JediBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello MissDaisy, can I ask why did you chose the FX over the Escape if you like more the geometry of the Giant.
Old 08-18-14, 11:14 AM
JediBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Daddy Wags, yes there is another factor in the geometry, in this case the FX has a longer headtube and shorter effective top tube distance (saddle to handlebar).

UPDATE: I was going for the Escape 2 but the LBS told me that they only have Escape 3 left now. The Escape 3 is equipped with Shimano Tourney so I don't think that's good enough for daily use. Maybe if it were easy to upgrade, but it is 7-speed so I would have to change the shifters also.

Last edited by JediBiker; 08-21-14 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 12:09 PM
MissDaisy

Bikes: Salsa Vaya 2; Giant Anthem X4; Trek FX 7.2; Giant Escape 3; Giant Simple Single cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JediBiker
Hello MissDaisy, can I ask why did you chose the FX over the Escape if you like more the geometry of the Giant.
Not one of my more logical decisions, but I chose the FX b/c of color. Then tried to make it work, then realized it would work only after replacing the seat tube and stem. Didn't want to spend the money to do that, especially after I discovered a stagger version of the FX that had geometry more similar to the Giant. (Slacker seat tube and head tube, though wheelbase still wasn't as long.) So, I am in the process of exchanging my original FX 7.2 WSD for a stagger version. My next hybrid will be a Giant, though.
Old 03-10-19, 12:18 PM
BikeTall

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I ride a Giant Escape which I use as a daily commuter and for long distance touring. It’s great for both. And is a surprisingly fast. ��*♂️ �� I keep up with dedicated road bikes no problem. Plus it also has a long wheelbase & chain stay which are good for stability & touring so your feet don’t hit the back panniers. I’m biased, but i’d go with the Giant Escape over the Trek.
Old 03-10-19, 12:55 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Trek FX in general has a more compact frame than most competitors if you compare the effective top tube measurements which will give some idea of reach but doesn't stand alone.
You really got to ride em.
Old 03-12-19, 05:22 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I understand that Cannondale is not even on your radar but the process is what I am explaining not the brand. I have a Quick 7 that is the "correct" size for me but while it rode nice I wanted more of a aero position but not the drop bar bike. I tried the Escape 2 and while it was a very nice bike I felt very cramped so I passed. I rode a Quick 3, but moved up to a large size, and found it a reach I could adjust and had an entry level, Sora, road bike group-set that I could work with. Changed the stem to a shorter 30* rise piece and aligned the seat for correct knee over pedal and I am very happy. Not saying the Quick is your answer but you might want to consider finding a bike that you can make modest changes too that will fit your requirements.
Good luck, Frank.
Old 03-12-19, 12:56 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I understand that Cannondale is not even on your radar
Who knows, maybe now it is, seeing as the original post has almost 5 years.
That said, good advice is always welcome.
Old 03-12-19, 09:16 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Who knows, maybe now it is, seeing as the original post has almost 5 years.
That said, good advice is always welcome.
Sorry. I did not look at the date of the OP but the last post on the 10th. My bad and I will be more observant in the future.
Thanks for the heads up, Frank.
Old 03-13-19, 06:12 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Sorry. I did not look at the date of the OP but the last post on the 10th. My bad and I will be more observant in the future.
Thanks for the heads up, Frank.
Neither one of those bikes has changed at all since they came out. So anything relevant then still today.
Old 03-13-19, 06:58 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

Neither one of those bikes has changed at all since they came out. So anything relevant then still today.

Trek definitely changed the frame on the FX aluminium line in 2017 or 2018.

I'm sure the geometry would not have changed too much, but I'm not sure it is identical.
Old 03-15-19, 10:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Dealers can change things at point of sale for you.
Old 04-17-19, 02:19 PM
TheShanePedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just test rode both FX and Escape bikes . My dealer sells both. And for me, it confirmed what I was reading: The FX series are a bit livelier. I could feel it. When I stepped into the cranks the bike felt like my road bike almost. And slightly more lively. I was absolutely intrigued by the feel...
The Giant Escape seemed to just carry speed, it just glided along compliantly and smoothly. The bike also felt more "planted" to the groun than the Trek. It FELT more solid. My dealer was willing to swap the 32cm tires with 35cm for no charge and I am hopeful that adds even more comfort to the already smooth ride. So yes, I went with the Giant (it is also a very nice vibrant blue color)