Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Best Road Fitness Bike?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Best Road Fitness Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 09:06 PM
dldlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Road Fitness Bike?

Im new to biking looking at the Giant Escape 3 and Trek for fitness and greenway biking. Assuming proper fitting and subjective riding experience, is there a difference in these bikes or another brand that would result in making the best choice?
Old 08-29-14, 11:52 PM
Shanej

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dldlaw
Im new to biking looking at the Giant Escape 3 and Trek for fitness and greenway biking. Assuming proper fitting and subjective riding experience, is there a difference in these bikes or another brand that would result in making the best choice?
The one that fits you the best and the one you like. It will help you to get out on it
Old 08-30-14, 02:57 AM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The major brands at a specific price point all work for someone - the challenge is to determine which is best for you - which is where the test ride is so important.

Do not underestimate the importance of the store you are buying it from - some are wonderful and definitely will enhance your overall satisfaction, but one also needs to assess whether location will impact convenience of getting 'after-sales-service'.

Great time to be buying a bike - do not overlook 'sales' which may enable you to move up a level if you accept a 2014 model.

In budgeting $, do not forget about the 'extras' (helmet, lock, water bottle + cage, lights, pump, ability to cope with a puncture, gloves - especially if riding when temperatures are low, etc etc). Can be used in negotiating with the store when buying the bike.

I hope you find a bike that puts a smile on your face when you ride - I certainly have with my Cannondale Quick SL1

I felt decisions on whether I wanted 'suspension' front forks or disc brakes were important - I decided against both based on type of riding I expected to do. I also wanted a relatively upright riding position (when riding with my wife) with flexibility to get some power when riding with my son (small bar ends came with my bike).
Old 08-30-14, 08:15 AM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would try to get a bike that is fast and nimble--more road bike than mountain bike.

I was probably in your shoes 4 years ago. I bought a commuter bike that I thought would do it all. Unfortunately, the fun factor was not as high as it could have been. Once I got a second bike less than 2 years later that can be described as a "flat bar road bike", I was biking like a fiend. It helped me lose 30lb and keep it off. I no longer had to take high cholesterol and heart burn medicine. A hybrid bike covers a wide range but one hybrid cannot be all things. Decide what you want for your bike, not just today but where you might want to do with it in the next few years. Otherwise you'll be buying a new bike in short order like the rest of us. :-)