Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

En route northbound for a C&V adventure

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 12:32 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts

It’s a day off from work. I found a little extra spending cash. A 220 mile round trip bus ride with an afternoon spent visiting Portland, Oregon... Couldn’t resist.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2042506700692/

Not exactly sure what the full plans are for it yet though...

Last edited by deux jambes; 09-07-18 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 01:23 PM
deux jambes

The bus pulled in on time, and the fella was waiting for me. Now I only need to stay busy, and carry the old bike around town for 2 hours..,

Last edited by deux jambes; 09-07-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 02:14 PM
deux jambes

Checked into one of the many used record shops. Dire Straits are definitely classic! But are they vintage yet?

Last edited by deux jambes; 09-07-18 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 02:48 PM
deux jambes

Starbucks is about the only dependable public restroom anymore.

Old 09-07-18, 02:53 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 653 Posts
Classic tale with a nice twist! Wicked potential project you got there. I would have been scared with those bars swinging around. Too easy a chance for a dented top tube.
Old 09-07-18, 02:57 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 367 Posts
A Green Grand Prix was one of my early rebuilds, nice score on the bar end shifters. IIRC the brake adjustment piece that goes on the rear brake cable guide/ bridge (the curved piece) is a special size. Have fun with the build

Old 09-07-18, 02:58 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 703 Posts
Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms gets vintage points for the National Style O on the cover! Have fun with the Raleigh!
Old 09-07-18, 03:38 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
...I would have been scared with those bars swinging around. Too easy a chance for a dented top tube.
Surly! And I considered that last night. I had planned to bring along a length of cord to secure them, but had spaced it by the time I left out this morning. Hopefully the top tube had survived the walking around well, and that the frame isn’t sliding around too much in the luggage compartment.

Originally Posted by ryansu
...nice score on the bar end shifters. IIRC the brake adjustment piece that goes on the rear brake cable guide/ bridge (the curved piece) is a special size...
Very nice bike you’ve shown there. Just added to my inspiration, thank you for that! And also for mentioning the rear break adjustment. I’m excited to try bar ends out for the first time. I figured for as much as they’re going for on eBay, taking the trip up was plenty worth it for those alone.

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms gets vintage points for the National Style O on the cover! Have fun with the Raleigh!
Definitely agree on the Style 0!

Heard a track on the radio a couple weeks ago, and realized how long I’ve missed having a copy of that album.

Last edited by deux jambes; 09-07-18 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 03:49 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 911 Posts
Dire Straits = Dad Rock
Old 09-07-18, 03:56 PM
deux jambes

I spent most of my time carrying the Raleigh around indecisive about where to eat. There’s almost too many options in Portland’s Pearl district.

And making my way back to the bus depot, I spied the infamous Mary’s club. The only place I’ve ever been pickpocketed. Years ago...

And finally, waiting for the home bound bus to arrive..,

As far as cities go, I really like Portland, and should visit more often. I’d like to bring a bike along next time however... ride around, and stay longer!
Old 09-07-18, 04:07 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I just love the excitement involved with acquiring a "new" vintage bike. If all goes well, I am venturing to the Boston suburbs to acquire a bike this weekend.
Old 09-07-18, 04:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2402 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Dire Straits = Dad Rock
I hope your dad disinherits you

money for nothing, chicks for free

Old 09-07-18, 10:07 PM
deux jambes

Tired from more walking today than I’m used to, I’ve been looking the frameset over while listening to Dire Straights, and I’m really impressed with the shape it’s in.

The paint, and decals have held up extremely well over the decades. Just enough chipping, and scratches to give evidence that it may have seen a few miles here, and there in the past. As well, I can’t find any dents, dings, or rust.

Seven digits on the left dropout places this Grand Prix in 1973.

Specs for ‘73 lists a “Raleigh” 52/40 crankset, which leads me to believe that the Stronglight 52/42 must not be original. Looks like this crank would have come on the Super Courses in 1972 but with a 40t inner ring. As it happens I have that specific frame but I don’t foresee using this crank on it. Too much weight!

Last edited by deux jambes; 09-08-18 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 10:13 PM
deux jambes

I’m presuming the stem for sure, and maybe the bars are original though I don’t have a sharp enough eye for logoless Maes bars to really know. Of course the Suntour barcons aren’t, but I’m sure glad they’re here!

It all makes me wonder about the bike’s life, and where all of its original components went. What’s behind the upgrades? I do know a little about it but not much. The seller said he’d gotten it from his friend’s dad who being the same height as his wife, purchased two brand new, identical Gran Prixs on the same day so that they could bicycle together. Makes me wonder about the status of the second bike too.

The fellow I bought it from had just started riding when he acquired it. He’s 6’ tall, and didn’t realize the bike wouldn’t fit him. It is just my size however, and it’s the same size as the ‘72 Super Course I’m working on. That bike came to me as a 100% bare frame minus a fork even.

In all honesty, I bought this Grand Prix planning to use its fork on the Super Course. I defiantly wanted the barcons too, but for an undetermined future build. What I’d do with the rest of the frame, and parts I hadn’t given much thought to. But seeing how lovely of shape the Grand Prix is in, there’s no way I can poach it’s fork for the Super Course.

While not a rare bike by any means, it is in remarkable shape for what’s left of it. That it’s survived as long as it has without anyone committing some form of irreversible hack or damage to it, I don’t want to be the one who finally does. I feel like I have a responsibility to keep it whole, and bring it back from limbo. So be it!

So now, the standing questions are... Which way to build it? And for what purpose will it serve?
Old 09-08-18, 12:28 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
While not a rare bike by any means, it is in remarkable shape for what’s left of it. That it’s survived as long as it has without anyone committing some form of irreversible hack or damage to it, I don’t want to be the one who finally does. I feel like I have a responsibility to keep it whole, and bring it back from limbo. So be it!

So now, the standing questions are... Which way to build it? And for what purpose will it serve?
Well, like you say, it's nothing special. Do exactly what you want with it.

I had a moment of guilty conscience recently when I bought a clean '72 Nishiki Semi-Pro in pretty much original condition. I didn't want to bastardize it, but that's what I had to do to make it a bike I'd actually ride. The ridiculously beautiful original SR crank with the insane 54/47 chain rings stayed with the seller, as did the 27" rims (hi-flange hubs!) and Suntour Vx derailleurs, and I got a big discount on what would become my fat-tired 700c gravel bike. It's exactly what I wanted, but I'm the guy responsible for casting all those original parts to the wind.

No regrets, so far. It's the bike I'm mostly riding these days
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-08-18, 04:59 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
The presence of wrap over seat stays and the Stronglight cranks ( indicates standard 24tpi British threading; not Raleigh proprietary 26tpi threading) suggests that this frame may have been built in the Gazelle factory in the Netherlands. Oddly though, there is a Carlton "C" seat binder bolt that would have come from Worksop, England. The fork, however, has Rampar decals and a decidedly Asian / Non British fork crown and drop outs. It would not have been a good replacement for your Super Course. It would have had a nicely chromed Wagner fork crown and Raleigh 26tpi Proprietary threading. This fork may have standard 24 tip British threading.
Sourcing OEM parts shouldn't be too difficult, as many European bikes of that era would have had Simplex derailleurs and Weinmann centerpull brakes. A Simplex Front Derailleur, however, are rare as the delrin bodies tend to crack. You might want to consider Suntour from that era, or for that more OEM plausible look ( and better durability, IMHO) use Huret derailleurs- some Grand Prixs were equipped with Huret Challenger derailleurs.
As Ryansu pointed out, that pesky adjustment ferrule for the rear brake bridge are really difficult to find. There is a similar ferrule found on the same era's Simplex delrin downtube shifters. It was a completely superfluous part unless the bike had completely enclosed cable runs. Since these shifters were notorious for breaking, they can be found at the bottom of the bins at your local co op. These particular shifters were OEM for this model, anyway.
Good luck with the rebuild, looks like a fun project.

Last edited by elcraft; 09-08-18 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 05:21 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 437 Posts
Nice find and what a pleasant way to kill some time with a 20-30 frame and a chromed cottered crank wrapped around you neck...

Speaking of which, wrap-around seat-stays and Vagner fork-crowns are some of the main attractions of the 1970's Grand Prix's. I have seen a few GP's with non-Vagnerian crowns such as the OP's. I believe those were made by Gazelle in Holland, but I could be mistaken.

It definitely has Raleigh's proprietary 26 tpi threading for the head-set and bottom bracket.
Old 09-08-18, 06:48 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by elcraft
The presence of wrap over seat stays and the Stronglight cranks ( indicates standard 24tpi British threading; not Raleigh proprietary 26tpi threading) suggests that this frame may have been built in the Gazelle factory in the Netherlands.
Thank you for the reply, and for all the info. I did notice however that forum member branko_76 mentioned below that “It definitely has Raleigh's proprietary 26 tpi threading for the head-set and bottom bracket.” So until I service the parts, it looks like which threading I’ve wound up with will go unconfirmed.

Oddly though, there is a Carlton "C" seat binder bolt that would have come from Worksop, England.
Another example of Raleigh’s randomness?

The fork, however, has Rampar decals and a decidedly Asian / Non British fork crown and drop outs. It would not have been a good replacement for your Super Course. It would have had a nicely chromed Wagner fork crown and Raleigh 26tpi Proprietary threading. This fork may have standard 24 tip British threading.
It interests me that Raleigh would mix parts across models! I’m glad you’ve point the fork, and crown out. That is perhaps what I love most about this forum. All of you are constantly informing me, and training my eye. I really appreciate it.

I do have a proper fork for the Super Course, but it came from a 63.5” frame. Its also a bit out of true. I’m trying to avoid having to straighten it, and chopping/rethreading it if I can. Another option is a chromed, sloped crowned CRO-MO fork I have on hand. We’ll see...

But for what you’ve pointed out, all the more reason to keep the Grand Prix frameset together!

Sourcing OEM parts shouldn't be too difficult, as many European bikes of that era would have had Simplex derailleurs and Weinmann centerpull brakes. A Simplex Front Derailleur, however, are rare as the delrin bodies tend to crack. You might want to consider Suntour from that era, or for that more OEM plausible look ( and better durability, IMHO) use Huret derailleurs- some Grand Prixs were equipped with Huret Challenger derailleurs.
Picked up a pair of Weinmann brakes today at the co-op. I like the Huret idea, and just might go that route. I know there’s a few examples floating around the co-op to take a look at next visit.

As Ryansu pointed out, that pesky adjustment ferrule for the rear brake bridge are really difficult to find. There is a similar ferrule found on the same era's Simplex delrin downtube shifters. It was a completely superfluous part unless the bike had completely enclosed cable runs. Since these shifters were notorious for breaking, they can be found at the bottom of the bins at your local co op. These particular shifters were OEM for this model, anyway.
Also from today’s co-op pickings, I snagged these from a set of, just as you said, “broken” delrin Simplex DT shifters. The ferrules sit pretty loosely in the brake bridge hole however. Does that sound right, or should I expect a snug fit? Both the Super Course, and the Raleigh are missing these parts.

Good luck with the rebuild, looks like a fun project.
Thank you. I’m sure it’ll be fun, as it already has been, and I’ve hardly just begun!
Old 09-08-18, 06:51 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by branko_76
Nice find and what a pleasant way to kill some time with a 20-30 frame and a chromed cottered crank wrapped around you neck...
Next time I’m definitely going to limit myself to Columbus SL tubing 😂
Old 09-10-18, 05:51 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Those are exactly the ferrule type I mentioned. The original Raleigh part was not a snug fit on my Super Course; one of the reasons this part gets lost in the first place. Unless there is a brake cable anchoring it in place, the part falls out instantly! As for the bottom bracket threading, if you can show us a picture of the NDS / Adjustable cup, we might be able to better identify the situation. I don't believe Stronglight ever manufactured anything in the 26 tpi threading.
If you can locate them, the Huret Challenger derailleurs area rally nice option; solid and reliable. If you can find a Luxe model that isn't too worn, they are nice as well. I am not a fan of the ubiquitous Alvit model, really heavy and a dirt catching design, IMHO. The delrin Simplex derailleurs can be made to look new, I'm told, with a soak in motor oil, but I was never a fan of them. The front derailleur, in particular, uses a horizontal rod rather than a parallelogram design to shift- crude and very dated. And the afore mentioned shift levers are unreliable at best. Definitely continue to keep us posted on the progress!
Old 09-10-18, 12:35 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked 1,140 Times in 666 Posts
Those are exactly the ferrule type I mentioned. The original Raleigh part was not a snug fit on my Super Course; one of the reasons this part gets lost in the first place. Unless there is a brake cable anchoring it in place, the part falls out instantly! As for the bottom bracket threading, if you can show us a picture of the NDS / Adjustable cup, we might be able to better identify the situation. I don't believe Stronglight ever manufactured anything in the 26 tpi threading.
If you can locate them, the Huret Challenger derailleurs area rally nice option; solid and reliable. If you can find a Luxe model that isn't too worn, they are nice as well. I am not a fan of the ubiquitous Alvit model, really heavy and a dirt catching design, IMHO. The delrin Simplex derailleurs can be made to look new, I'm told, with a soak in motor oil, but I was never a fan of them. The front derailleur, in particular, uses a horizontal rod rather than a parallelogram design to shift- crude and very dated. And the afore mentioned shift levers are unreliable at best. Definitely continue to keep us posted on the progress!
Simplex jockey wheels have a disturbing habit of rapidly disintegrating when used 35+ years on. Sun Tours are much more durable replacements.
Old 09-10-18, 01:35 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 703 Posts
I think your Grand Prix is actually Carlton-built and not a Gazelle product - my memory of the last Gazelle GP I had was that the headbadge had the slash marks in the place where yours says Nottingham England. The Stronglight cranks are the same ones I'm used to seeing on Super Courses, and someone could have chosen to replace the inner ring. Which reminds me - I once had an RGP that came to me with 40/49T rings, so who knows? Maybe somebody grabbed what was in the bin that day. Anyway, you'll know more when you remove the cranks and can see what sort of BB they're mounted on.

I would suggest keeping your eyes open for a good deal on a SunTour V-GT Luxe and some sort of normal-pull SunTour front derailleur and calling it a day. If you're gonna use those lovely barcons on another project, snag a set of down tube power ratchets and you will be shocked at how well it all works. I've been enjoying that system on my Clunker Challenge 100 Liberia, and it's hard to beat!
Old 09-10-18, 08:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7403 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,507 Posts
You definitely got a good one, as you know.

Where do you live? I invite you to put your home town in your profile.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-11-18, 08:16 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 422 Posts
Great thread, love the photo essay. +1 on the VGT Luxe RD. I built this Super Course from a found frame using Suntour bar ends, VGT Luxe, Cyclone II FD, and a Sugino AT triple. Great riding bike, very little in parts $$$, lots more in paint and decals.
Old 09-11-18, 08:25 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 437 Posts
Here's one of my Grand Prix restorations. I upgraded some of the components but tried to keep the overall look of the 70's...