Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to ride a bike with ZERO pain and discomfort around the butt region?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it possible to ride a bike with ZERO pain and discomfort around the butt region?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 03:55 PM
TheChosenOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't ridden a bike in 20 years until recently when I bought a hybrid bike that is the right size for me. On the first day I rode my bike on a sidewalk that has an area for pedestrians and bikes. Riding through the small bumps on the path for bikes felt like they were small speed bumps made to stop cars from speeding. At the end of my ride my butt bone in both cheeks hurt pretty bad. A few days later when the pain was gone I decided to ride on the road since it was smoother and rarely any bumps and when there was unavoidable bumps I just stood up on my pedals as I rode through the bumps. My butt still hurt and I guess it was from sitting on the bike too long. Then I bought what seemed like decent bike shorts with the cushion and it was better but still some discomfort after a ride.

So I am wondering if it is possible to be pain and discomfort free after riding a bike? Maybe with things like a better saddle, better bike underwear/shorts or other suggestions you guys might have. I had considered noseless saddles but I read that it could limit you when you peddle because you can't extend your leg all the way which would reduce performance. I'll consider noseless saddles if people recommend them. And if you guys can recommend me good regular, super comfortable saddles with a buttload of cushion to help with the pain that would be nice too.

Before buying a bike I had imagined how great it would be to get some fresh air, exercise, drive my car less and save money, etc. from riding a bike. I was really happy once I bought my bike but it hasn't been that enjoyable so far.
Old 01-10-17, 04:01 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just stepped off 32 miles on a brand new Brooks Swallow Select on my road bike.
I thought we'd be breaking each other in, but the saddle was 100% invisible, except on bumps, where I could feel it giving way.

my other two bikes, semi-upright and upright have B17 Select and they're equally invisible.

This is in loose nylon shorts or knickers and merino boxers - no chamois or diaper. The no chamois or diaper with the cooling of a Brooks saddle prevents chaffing on the longest hottest summer ride.

Weather permitting, I try to ride 100-150 mi/wk.

The trick is to match the right saddle shape with your riding position first, and sit bone width next.

If your bike is upright, you're in luck - you can ride a Brooks B67 and won't know it's there.

This is a 10,000 mi B17 Select

Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-11-17 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 04:08 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Bikes are exercise machines.

Do five mile rides till you feel you can go further without pain.

Get Fitted to your bike after you have ridden 500 miles.

Old 01-10-17, 04:21 PM
TheChosenOne

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
I just stepped off 32 miles on a brand new Brooks Swallow Select on my road bike.
I though we'd be breaking each other in, but the saddle was 100% invisible, except on bumps, where I could feel it giving way.

my other two bikes, semi-upright and upright have B17 Select and they're equally invisible.

This is in loose nylon shorts or knickiers and merino boxers - no chamois or diaper. The no chamois or diaper with the cooling of a Brooks saddle prevents chaffing on the longest hottest summer ride.

Weather permitting, I try to ride 100-150 mi/wk.

The trick is to match the right saddle shape with your riding position first, and sit bone width next.

If your bike is upright, you're in luck - you can ride a Brooks B67 and won't know it's there.

This is a 10,000 mi B17 Select

I wouldn't say I am riding upright. My head is leaning at around 65-70 degree angle. Sort of like this:

Last edited by TheChosenOne; 01-10-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 04:24 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
can you show a photo of your bike?
Old 01-10-17, 04:25 PM
SHK

Bikes: 13 Raleigh Cadent FT1/ 16 Specialized Allez Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get an extra wide padded seat with little rubber shocks built into the saddle itself. Then they also have seat posts with a little shock built in as well.
Old 01-10-17, 04:25 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The longer your rides become the longer you go without discomfort. It takes time, weeks, months depending how regularly you ride.
Old 01-10-17, 04:26 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
there it is, that's not quite upright - I'd try a Brooks B17 - look for a cheap one, try it, and see if it works.
For these saddles to work right, the nose should be pointing up a bit.

ok, I googled a bit - no such-a-deals on these right now. They're running about $100 everywhere.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-10-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 04:37 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This saddle ends up on everybody's invisible list. https://selleanatomica.com/

If there is a problem with them, the saddles stretch and don't last for distance riding. I tried two, and couldn't get them to last past 6 months.
But the people who swear by them wouldn't give them up for anything.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-10-17 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 04:49 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Bikes are exercise machines.

Do five mile rides till you feel you can go further without pain.

Get Fitted to your bike after you have ridden 500 miles.
+1 This. Ignore saddle model recommendations from the crowd. It sounds like you've ridden your bike exactly twice. You need to build up the equivalent of butt calluses before deciding the saddle you have is not the right one.
Old 01-10-17, 05:04 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Since you haven't ridden a bike in 20 years and you've just ridden it a couple times, it is going to take time for your rear end to build up a bit of tolerance to your bike seat.

Personally, I have a wide Bell saddle with memory foam which remains plenty comfy, but even after being off my bike for 2 months it took a little while for my butt to get used to being on a bike seat again.
Old 01-10-17, 05:26 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
What Milton said. It will take a few weeks to condition your bum. Be patient. don't ride too long if it hurts but do keep riding. It does get better.

Last edited by drlogik; 01-10-17 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 05:34 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Zero discomfort is a tall order. It gets a lot better the more you ride and the right saddle helps a lot once you've hardened your butt a bit. Some riders report they can ride 150 miles and not feel the slightest twinge, but I think that's a bit of an anomaly. I still start to feel a little soreness somewhere between 30 and 50 miles. I honestly can't imagine that going to absolute zero. But you should be able to get to the point that it's an insignificant bit of soreness that doesn't persist when the ride is over. Which is what I would consider normal.
Old 01-10-17, 05:35 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Since you haven't ridden a bike in 20 years and you've just ridden it a couple times, it is going to take time for your rear end to build up a bit of tolerance to your bike seat.
This.

Even taking just the winter off, it took my bottom a week or two to get reacquainted with the seat.
Old 01-10-17, 06:29 PM
MikeinFL

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you have a bigger rear end don't you need a larger saddle? in the photo looks like the saddle is way too small for him. not sure, just looks that way to me

the Bell Comfort Wide Cruiser Bike Saddle:

however, this may not develop "butt calluses"

Last edited by MikeinFL; 01-10-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 06:29 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
after all that, the SA saddle will answer your question the way you want it answered.

Hammock leather saddles, Brooks, Rivet, SA - are just as described - a hammock for your tush.
They were invented 120 years ago and we're still riding them.
The Selle Anatomica is the most hammock-y
(they're on sale and a 30-day money back guarantee)

Hammock leather saddles keep you cool because you don't sit on a blanket.
Again, I wear nylon shorts or knickers and merino boxers - no padding, no diaper.

If wide is the answer, Brooks B67 is invisible.
This saddle is discontinued, but here's my daughter's B68, which started her riding bikes.
She had tried other saddles on other bikes, but she rode this on 10-20 mi rides without a complaint, and was an instant fan.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-10-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 06:41 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
It depends on ride time too. I can ride with zero discomfort for 3-4hrs, then I feel the saddle is there, but can go on for several hours more without problems.
Old 01-10-17, 06:43 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I was tempted to make a joke but decided to give you real advice instead. When you first start riding (first year or two, maybe longer) you'll have fanny fatigue. I would recommend a gel seat pad - it will really lessen the discomfort. As you ride more your abs will get stronger and you will use your ab muscle more. This will take pressure off your butt and you won't want the gel seat anymore. But this is probably a 2-3 year (or longer). It will never not happen.
Old 01-10-17, 07:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
So I am wondering if it is possible to be pain and discomfort free after riding a bike?
Yes, absolutely. But don't expect it to happen right away after 20+ years off the bike. You need to put some miles on, to build up some callouses on your butt. And as others have pointed out, having the right saddle can make a big difference. Finding the right saddle is very subjective and everybody is different. The saddle that came with your bike isn't necessarily the best saddle for you; in fact, it was probably chosen just to help meet a certain price point and marketing expectations. But since you have it, you may as well use it for a while to see if your butt can eventually come to terms with it. If/when you decide it can't, many bike shops have loaner saddles to you try for a while to find a model that works for you. And perhaps somewhat counter-intuitively, more padding does not necessarily make a more comfortable saddle!

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 01-10-17 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:18 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Ever buy new shoes... especially dress shoes... do they feel perfect the first few times out?

The problem is that your behind is used to couch cushions.... and now you have not only removed the couch, but you are asking lazy butt muscles to do something. When you ride, those muscles in your legs are also using your gluteus maximus... your butt muscles.

Get in a few short rides, and build up your behind.
Old 01-10-17, 07:20 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Although many (MANY) members deride gel seat covers, that is exactly what works for me. Two stacked on the road bike, one on the drop-bar commuter and a spring seat with built in gel layer on the MTB-based commuter. It seems to me the main complaint against gel seat pads is chafing, but that has not been a problem for me. I have ridden up to four hours with no discomfort "around the butt region". Running the tires a little soft can help, too, but I only do that in the winter with the studded snow tires.
Old 01-10-17, 07:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I had pretty good comfort with WTB Rocket V Race saddles on two different bikes before abandoning safety bikes for recumbent bikes.
"Is it possible to ride a bike with ZERO pain and discomfort around the butt region?"
Yes.

If you don't want to go that direction, just be patient and gradually work your way up to longer, more comfortable rides, as previously advised by others.
Old 01-10-17, 08:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
To answer your question, yes, it should be possible, if the bike fits properly and you find a saddle you are compatible with. There is no reason it should be any more uncomfortable than your favorite chair. This is important, because it tells you that you shouldn't put up with pain, and pain is off-putting and therefore counter-productive.
Old 01-10-17, 08:08 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Here's the seat I have. Sorry, I don't know a model number but they're pretty easy to find online.

I'm starting to get to the point where I think it's too wide and I might put the stock saddle back on and try it for a while.
Old 01-10-17, 08:25 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
I wouldn't say I am riding upright. My head is leaning at around 65-70 degree angle. Sort of like this:

I"m going to assume that the photo is not of you on your bike. If you're riding in jeans and underwear, it is nearly impossible to be comfortable on a bicycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.