Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 11:16 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Congrats on the retirement! That's awesome.
Old 04-20-17, 11:17 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I hate to say it, but CO is full of D-Bags. The metro area is getting so crowded, that people pretty much hate everyone else on the road. Cyclists, it's a toss up whether you get a wave or not. No biggie. I wave to everyone, and am OK if it's returned, or not. I did my part.
I don't think you extended the proper amount of vitriol towards the predominantly Californian invading army who have reduced the state to, this is most polite of many terms, Sprayarado. Trash begetting trash, eviscerating the landscape with wanton disregard. Nothing says a day in the mountains like a couple hundred cars per square mile individually emitting loud enough bass to disrupt a busy inner city street.

Proudly feral.
Old 04-20-17, 12:10 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,758 Times in 2,767 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
I don't think you extended the proper amount of vitriol towards the predominantly Californian invading army who have reduced the state to, this is most polite of many terms, Sprayarado. Trash begetting trash, eviscerating the landscape with wanton disregard. Nothing says a day in the mountains like a couple hundred cars per square mile individually emitting loud enough bass to disrupt a busy inner city street.

Proudly feral.
I agree with this.
Old 04-20-17, 03:26 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
The reality of moving away from where I grew up is really starting to sink in. And I've still got two months of school left.

Anyone have any contacts on insight into the area aroudn Ogden in Utah? Will be working at the AFB there. Hoping to go down and visit in a few weeks to pick out an apartment. Scary times ahead....
i know lots of people in that region and used to do all the local races there. (i live about 4h from ogden.)

there's also way more road racing than you'd expect. i remember a few years ago that the SLC area had more road races on a per-licensed-racer basis than any other region. a large part of this is because there are quite a few rural roads a short distance (0-60') from the city center, so permits are easy. this is not the case (for actual road races) in many other areas.

there are weekly crit, TT and hill climb series.

there are many outdoor opportunities. the summer can be pretty damn hot. there's also good access to meth in Ogden. (serious issue)

ogden's trying to reinvent itself as mecca for businesses in the outdoor industry. the state as a whole, however, is busy selling out public lands.
Old 04-20-17, 07:06 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramercy
No, housing here is insane. This is relatively cheap for the area. 4 million for a generic house.
https://www.659tennyson.com
Yep, that's insane. Taxes are incredibly cheap though. Out here the taxes on that would easily be $70k. Who is paying 4 million for that? I've looked at silicon Valley jobs, they pay fine, but nowhere near that. More like $150k there instead of $100k here. So it's not the engineers buying those.
Old 04-20-17, 08:46 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
i know lots of people in that region and used to do all the local races there. (i live about 4h from ogden.)

there's also way more road racing than you'd expect. i remember a few years ago that the SLC area had more road races on a per-licensed-racer basis than any other region. a large part of this is because there are quite a few rural roads a short distance (0-60') from the city center, so permits are easy. this is not the case (for actual road races) in many other areas.

there are weekly crit, TT and hill climb series.

there are many outdoor opportunities. the summer can be pretty damn hot. there's also good access to meth in Ogden. (serious issue)

ogden's trying to reinvent itself as mecca for businesses in the outdoor industry. the state as a whole, however, is busy selling out public lands.
Good to hear. I just recently checked out the Utah road race calendar and it's not quite as busy (or organized..) as the calendar I see up here in Washington, but maybe I'm missing something.

Is the weekly crit sanctioned? Couldn't find that information anywhere. Our weekday crit in Seattle is not, which I'm perfectly fine with.

What about riding in the winter. Will I be confined to the trainer all winter, or does the snow clear out for long enough to go outside on the weekends? Is there a weekly hammerfest ride? I'm used to being able to get out a with a group of people most weekends over the winter, but if it's snowed in then I guess I'm teaching myself how to xc ski next winter to stay competitive over the cold months.

Any tips on where I should be looking for housing? Been looking at Layton area as it seems to be a bit further out from the base so (hopefully) a bit more affordable.
Old 04-20-17, 08:50 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
A teammate of mine from way back in the day moved there a few years ago. I'm pretty sure he loves it, it's super outdoorsy. You looking for any specific info? Want me to put you in touch?
Two big questions I've got about bike riding is training through the winter, and dealing with the inversion.

Super stoked about the outdoorsy stuff, but want to keep bike racing. Skiing should be great and I plan to take up the skinny skis (skate ski, maybe?).

I wouldn't mind having someone to ask questions to. @tetonrider got me a bunch of good info too!
Old 04-20-17, 10:03 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I moved this from the video thread.
In the FWIW department, I was visiting junior at the USAF Academy last week (obvious from some videos) for their TTT, Crit and RR in that order. Anyway, they have some drones and cameras and some of the cadet racers are pretty good pilots - they say. What I mean is some of the bike racing teens also are flying $$$$ drones that can read your bike computer display during the race.

The problem is...they can shoot the video, but can't get it. It all goes to some "lock box" in the sky. They say they can't / or may not (it was unclear) download it.

I found it both fascinating and frustrating we tax payers spend so much money on this stuff and can't use it for bike races.
Old 04-20-17, 10:35 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
8 hour engineering exam tomorrow, took a total of 26 hours for studying plus 2 exam days, plus tomorrow's exam day off work. I think I'm ready... except I forgot to buy a watch!! Phones aaren't allowed obviously, and chances are I won't be able to read a wall clock across the room in a convention center. To go without, or wake up earlier and stop at a walgreens or CVS and buy a cheapo wristwatch?
Old 04-20-17, 10:58 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
good luck. watch would be good to have even if it's just a cheapie.
Old 04-20-17, 11:03 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Sat April 15 AM Puppy had an AM TTT (still don't know results) and the Crit was at 3:00ish.
So wife and I did the hardest 1.5 mile hike we have ever done between races. I won't bore you with the hike - just the view. This is where puppy goes to school. I have been to a lot of campuses, but for a cyclist, kind of hard to beat. It is only a 18,500 acre campus, but then there is the stuff it butts up next to (where I took the video) From ~9,300ft

Last edited by Doge; 04-20-17 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 03:45 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first speeding ticket on a bike was on that base. Technically they gave it to a parent. MP's do not take their authority lightly. After 45 minutes of berating and threatening improbable charges they could make stick, ripped it up and gave me such an impressively dirty look I remember it to this day.

I must be getting old if I remember the days when getting a ticket on your bike required using it as a getaway vehicle or association with some other serious crime.
Old 04-21-17, 05:24 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
8 hour engineering exam tomorrow, took a total of 26 hours for studying plus 2 exam days, plus tomorrow's exam day off work. I think I'm ready... except I forgot to buy a watch!! Phones aaren't allowed obviously, and chances are I won't be able to read a wall clock across the room in a convention center. To go without, or wake up earlier and stop at a walgreens or CVS and buy a cheapo wristwatch?
PE exam? I remember something weird about the watch at mine. Like we couldn't keep it on the desk or something, I'm not sure I ended up using the one I took.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-17, 05:31 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
8 hour engineering exam tomorrow
Good luck! Stay focused, follow wheels, be opportunistic.
Old 04-21-17, 06:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
An alternate option would be a cheap kitchen timer. Those always come in handy later as well.
Old 04-21-17, 06:51 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After 18000+ posts and 1000000+ views I think it's time for a new Misc thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bi...at-thread.html