Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Should I buy the Wahoo Roam or the Garmin Edge 830?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Should I buy the Wahoo Roam or the Garmin Edge 830?

Old 06-09-20, 07:43 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I finally decided to upgrade my 800. I tried a NOS 820 first but map redraw time was about 4x longer than on the 800, so I sent it back and got an 830. I've been quite pleased with the 830 as a standalone (not paired to anything).

My biggest complaints at this point are quite minor. The map appears a bit smaller than on my 800 despite similar sized screens, and if you accidentally drop a push pin on the map screen you can't tap to get rid of it like on the 800. The zoom icons would better if black, the white is practically invisible on my map. Most of the other things that annoyed me were things that could be turned off or change (ie: segments, which I might reactivate in a separate activity profile, Garmin map styling is lackluster, but I'm using a custom OSM map anyway).

I think part of the reason for the map size difference is that the upcoming road notification text is so huge, and unlike the 800 it isn't partially transparent. I should try disabling that feature and see if the map gets bigger.

EDIT: OK, I see what's going on now. Because of the higher screen resolution zoom level comparison between the 800 and 830 isn't apples to apples. A zoom level of 50m on the 830 has a hair smaller viewing area than 120m on the 800. Its like going to a higher resolution monitor and everything looking smaller while covering a larger area. In that case Garmin should have increased the size of the "you are here" triangle a little to compensate. So I should be riding 1 or 2 zoom levels higher than I normally use.

I do like that on the map display you can do a rotate gesture to reorient the map. Invariably when I come to a stop the map orientation rotates 90 degrees and no longer matches my heading. But seriously 3 new generations of computers and they still haven't fixed that.

I was sort of hoping they'd add moonrise / moonset in addition to sunrise / sunset, because when you are riding in the dark it gives you something to look forward to.

Last edited by gecho; 06-09-20 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 05:46 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
The 830 is a much better unit than the 820. You are better-off having spent more for it (unless, maybe, the 820 was really cheap).

Sunrise is a much easier calculation. Not many people need the moonrise stuff. So, it's better to keep that code out of everybody's firmware.

You can install apps on your Garmin.

https://apps.garmin.com/gcmen_US/app...c-df4bbe2298dc

There are others.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-10-20 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 05:56 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by gecho
I do like that on the map display you can do a rotate gesture to reorient the map. Invariably when I come to a stop the map orientation rotates 90 degrees and no longer matches my heading. But seriously 3 new generations of computers and they still haven't fixed that.
Older units did not have a compass, which means they could only determine heading accurately when moving (the GPS position jumps around too much when not moving).

The 830 has a compass, which means it should be able to orient the map properly.

You might need to calibrate the compass first.

​​​​​​
Old 06-23-20, 09:28 PM
Cyclist7485
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
I used to use Garmins. I had an Edge 500, then an 810. My 810 was trouble-free, but a couple of years ago, I got restless and wanted to try something different. so I purchased a Wahoo Elemnt (the original model). It has also been trouble-free so far. Recently, my wife managed to somehow damage the charging port on her Edge 510, so I installed a new battery into my old 810, and she uses that one now. It's still working flawlessly.

Garmin's menu system does have a learning curve. Once you know your way around it, it's not bad. Their maps are far superior to Wahoos. Even to the new maps on the Roam. Better colors, and street names on every street. Also, when you're on the map screen, your garmin will read at the top of the screen "now riding on W. Blahblahblah Ave". if I remember correctly. Which is nice.
I wish Wahoo's maps had those features.

The Wahoo interface and phone app make setup and configuration easier for sure. I like the LEDs on the side for Heart Rate Zone, Power Zone, or Speed, and the top row of Leds for navigation prompts. I wish Garmin had those features.

Garmin connect is complete. It is a one-stop shop for training data, training diary, course creation, and device updates.
Wahoo depends upon third party software for those functions. Updates are through their own app, but training data and diary function rely upon either Strava (not very accurate) or Training Peaks (very accurate but expensive) or similar, and creating courses with turn-by-turn prompts depends upon Ride With GPS.com.
It is more convenient to have just one web service for everything, especially if that service provides more accurate training data and doesn't round down the numbers from your head unit the way strava does.
There are some training related features incorporated within the 830 and 1030/1030+ head units that I really like, but I'm not yet certain that I want to give up my Elemnt's Leds. Sure it's a little thing, but sometimes those little touches really improve the user experience.

Last edited by Cyclist7485; 06-23-20 at 09:29 PM. Reason: punctuation
Likes For Cyclist7485:
Old 06-24-20, 07:59 PM
Justin17

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really don’t think you can make a bad decision here.
Likes For Justin17:
Old 06-25-20, 08:46 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddy_G
I

Garmin connect is complete. It is a one-stop shop for training data, training diary, course creation, and device updates.
Wahoo depends upon third party software for those functions. Updates are through their own app, but training data and diary function rely upon either Strava (not very accurate) or Training Peaks (very accurate but expensive) or similar, and creating courses with turn-by-turn prompts depends upon Ride With GPS.com..
A good synopsis here.

My only comment is that a Garmin unit sends completed ride data to either the smartphone Garmin Connect Mobile app, which then sends it onward to the Connect online site, or via WiFi to Connect online. You can view and manipulate all kinds of data on that site, OR have it ported immediately to RideWithGPS or Strava or maybe Kamoots. Wahoo does essentially the same, right off the phone app, bye passes any online site and right to RWGPS/Strava. In operation, the Garmin data works essentially the same as Wahoo in that if you are using RWGPS as your training app, the data is there automatically and with no input or additional steps needed other than to have saved the ride on the devise.
Old 06-27-20, 08:07 PM
gecho

After a few rides with the 830 I decided to tweak my custom map style to improve visibility on the higher resolution screen. I bumped up all my road widths by 1, and increased the icon size for some of my custom POIs from 16x16 to 24x24. I also tweaked the colors I was using since they look so much different than on my 800's screen. Its nice being able to copy the map to the 830 in 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes like on the 800 with its USB 1.1 interface.

One feature I really like over my 800 is the wifi. When I'm done the ride is uploaded to Garmin Connect before I even finish pulling the bottles off my bike. I've been turning the unit off after an upload and only plugging it in to charge as needed. To help prolong battery life I'm going to manage the charge level better, not letting it get too low or charging until full (unless I need the full capacity).
Old 06-30-20, 01:02 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Thread title says it all. All opinions welcome.
Edge 830. Better navigation and more stable software.
Old 06-30-20, 01:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
After a few rides with the 830 I decided to tweak my custom map style to improve visibility on the higher resolution screen. I bumped up all my road widths by 1, and increased the icon size for some of my custom POIs from 16x16 to 24x24. I also tweaked the colors I was using since they look so much different than on my 800's screen. Its nice being able to copy the map to the 830 in 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes like on the 800 with its USB 1.1 interface.
A microsd writer makes Edge 800 map updates far less painful.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 07-02-20, 12:06 AM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
It's been interesting reading through this and seeing the experiences with both Garmin and Wahoo devices, especially beyond initial impressions. As someone with an Edge 820, I've been pondering an update. The thing with Garmin is that they seem to consistently shoot themselves in the foot (or other, more vital, anatomy) with software updates- a few months ago, they pushed out firmware 12.30 which caused sensors to randomly disconnect during activities, and the current version of Connect for iOS broke the reporting of calories to the Activity app. They seem to have these gaffes a few times a year, and the lethargic responses ranging from weeks to months is frustrating in a lot of ways.

From the experiences here, seems I owe it to myself to give a Wahoo device a try when it's time, thanks everyone for sharing!
Old 07-02-20, 06:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Just got back from a riding vacation with the Roam, and it performed flawlessly over hundreds of miles. Never lost a sensor, never lost the BT connection to my phone, successfully uploaded each ride to Strava upon completion. Navigation from a ridewithgps file was a little slow, but worked okay.

The Edge 530 has been returned, and I will stick with the Roam. Yeah, the maps aren't as nice as Garmin's, and the Edge computers have some additional snazzy features. But the Edge computer and app were a giant pain in the ass in daily use.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-03-20, 05:44 PM
gecho

My biggest Garmin problem at the moment doesn't even have anything to do with the Garmin itself.

The Garmin Express program causes my Windows 10 CPU usage to continuously alternate between 0 and 40% as long as the program is running. At least with wifi uploads I can just turn Garmin Express off and disable the auto startup with Windows.
Old 07-03-20, 08:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I've never checked cpu usage when using garmn express. But I don't leave it running
on edit: you're right, it's a hog. I think it might have been using most of a core. Wow, just looked again and even though it wasn't open, it still was using 15 percent

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-03-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-04-20, 07:06 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
My biggest Garmin problem at the moment doesn't even have anything to do with the Garmin itself.

The Garmin Express program causes my Windows 10 CPU usage to continuously alternate between 0 and 40% as long as the program is running. At least with wifi uploads I can just turn Garmin Express off and disable the auto startup with Windows.
Only time I have Express running is when I am updating a device. It's off otherwise. My 1030 does it's uploads and downloads via BT to the GCM app on the phone, as I never use WiFi on the device.
Old 07-11-20, 09:21 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Seems like a lot of great experience here. I decided this week to take my road bike off the garage wall and actually put it to use after several years of inactivity. The old tires didn't have many mile on them... maybe 1000+, but the sidewalls showed some dry rot cracks... so I put some new tires/tubes on. I found my old Garmin Edge 305 in a drawer, charged it up and have been out several times this week. The 305 still performs well and holds a good battery charge which surprises me. It can't pair with my Vivoactive HR watch, so I use a HR strap with the Edge 305. And of course the Vivo HR can't pair with the cadence sensors that work with the E305.

I'm considering upgrading the 305, but not sure I'll really gain anything by doing so. What do you guys find useful about the E530/830 or Wahoo over what the E305 provides?

Edit: in years past I was importing my data from the E305 to Sporttracks 3.1 on my PC. This time when I tried it, I got an error msg about not being able to initialize a required component... referring to Garmin Communicator Plugin, I believe. And from what I could gather, Garmin no longer supports the communicator plugin... so maybe I can't use that app any more? Or is SportTracks 3.1 still supported?
Old 07-19-20, 11:51 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Seems like a lot of great experience here. I decided this week to take my road bike off the garage wall and actually put it to use after several years of inactivity. The old tires didn't have many mile on them... maybe 1000+, but the sidewalls showed some dry rot cracks... so I put some new tires/tubes on. I found my old Garmin Edge 305 in a drawer, charged it up and have been out several times this week. The 305 still performs well and holds a good battery charge which surprises me. It can't pair with my Vivoactive HR watch, so I use a HR strap with the Edge 305. And of course the Vivo HR can't pair with the cadence sensors that work with the E305.

I'm considering upgrading the 305, but not sure I'll really gain anything by doing so. What do you guys find useful about the E530/830 or Wahoo over what the E305 provides?

Edit: in years past I was importing my data from the E305 to Sporttracks 3.1 on my PC. This time when I tried it, I got an error msg about not being able to initialize a required component... referring to Garmin Communicator Plugin, I believe. And from what I could gather, Garmin no longer supports the communicator plugin... so maybe I can't use that app any more? Or is SportTracks 3.1 still supported?
A) You're a masochist for still using one of those 1st gen Edge units...they sucked, even back in the day. Amazing yours hasn't suffered Narcolepsy after a decade.

B) They literally do everything better and more. They boot faster, the screens are far better, they're less glitchy, they're more easily configured, the hardware compatibility is better, the software is better, the mapsets are far better, there's actual navigation.....literally everything they do is superior

Making a reference to comparing a Prius to a Model T wouldn't be inaccurate.
Old 07-19-20, 03:05 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
A) You're a masochist for still using one of those 1st gen Edge units...they sucked, even back in the day. Amazing yours hasn't suffered Narcolepsy after a decade.

B) They literally do everything better and more. They boot faster, the screens are far better, they're less glitchy, they're more easily configured, the hardware compatibility is better, the software is better, the mapsets are far better, there's actual navigation.....literally everything they do is superior

Making a reference to comparing a Prius to a Model T wouldn't be inaccurate.
Maybe, but I haven't had any problem with my 305 and it's seen a lot of miles. No glitches or issues with it at all. I think I'll keep it running for the time being and see what new devices hit the market next year.
Old 07-20-20, 11:37 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So there I was bragging on my Edge 305 giving such great service. Today, about 3 hours into a ride with 3/4 bars of power still showing, the display blanked. What? So I futzed around with that while pedaling down the road and with my attention diverted, hit a huge pothole and got a pinch flat in the rear tire. I hit so hard the heel of my left hand (on the handlebar) is still sore, hours later.

Then while attempting to remove the Edge 305 from the handlebar mount, the release tab broke and and I had to use a screwdriver to get it to release so I could put the bike upside down to get to the rear wheel to change the flat.

After putting the spare tube in the rear tire, i was attempting to inflate it using a CO2 cartridge with a variable flow inflator... and the head of the inflator blew off never to be found and all the CO2 escaped! As I was calling my wife to come rescue me, a car stopped and asked if I needed assistance. I said I just need to put some air in the tire and they drove up the road a short distance to their home and brought back a bicycle pump and I was up and cycling again and was able to finish my ride.

All that to say it looks like I'm back in the market for a new computer (and a couple new tubes and a new inflator too!).

Last edited by speedlever; 07-20-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-20-20, 11:50 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

So there I was bragging on my Edge 305 giving such great service. Today, about 3 hours into a ride with 3/4 bars of power still showing, the display blanked. What? So I futzed around with that while pedaling down the road and with my attention diverted, hit a huge pothole and got a pinch flat in the rear tire. I hit so hard the heel of my left hand (on the handlebar) is still sore, hours later.

Then while attempting to remove the Edge 305 from the handlebar mount, the release tab broke and and I had to use a screwdriver to get it to release so I could put the bike upside down to get to the rear wheel to change the flat.

Then, after putting the spare tube in the rear tire, i was attempting to inflate it using a CO2 cartridge with a variable flow inflator... and the head of the inflator blew off never to be found and all the CO2 escaped! As I was calling my wife to come rescue me, a car stopped and asked if I needed assistance. I said I just need to put some air in the tire and they drove up the road a short distance to their home and brought back a bicycle pump and I was up and cycling again and was able to finish my ride.

All that to say it looks like I'm back in the market for a new computer (and a couple new tubes and a new inflator too!).
I'd advise staying away from all things mechanical the rest of they day.

Srsly, glad you're okay
Srsly2, sounds like Edge Narcolepsy. The battery has a spring contact that metal fatigues over time--leading to an open circuit when you hit a bump....and blank displays. Design flaw from back when the unit was new
Srsly3, Edge's tend to have Public Beta Period of instability of firmware...year old ones are generally more reliable than brand new ones.
Old 07-20-20, 12:26 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I'd advise staying away from all things mechanical the rest of they day.

Srsly, glad you're okay
Srsly2, sounds like Edge Narcolepsy. The battery has a spring contact that metal fatigues over time--leading to an open circuit when you hit a bump....and blank displays. Design flaw from back when the unit was new
Srsly3, Edge's tend to have Public Beta Period of instability of firmware...year old ones are generally more reliable than brand new ones.
No lottery tickets for me today either!
If I understand your point 3, I'm better off buying the current crop of computers vs waiting for the new stuff to debut next year. And since I'm a little pi$$ed at my 305 at the moment, I'm inclined to do just that!

What comes standard with the 530/830? I'm inclined to get a bundle for my road bike but not sure what I need that doesn't come standard. I have the GSC-10 speed and cadence sensor.. but not sure that and the HR strap I got with the Edge 305 are compatible with the newer gear. And even if they are, they are getting pretty old. Does the handlebar mount come standard too?
Old 07-20-20, 12:39 PM
njkayaker

What comes standard with the 530/830? I'm inclined to get a bundle for my road bike but not sure what I need that doesn't come standard. I have the GSC-10 speed and cadence sensor.. but not sure that and the HR strap I got with the Edge 305 are compatible with the newer gear. And even if they are, they are getting pretty old. Does the handlebar mount come standard too?
The "out front" mount comes standard. The bundles come with speed/cadence sensors. Look those up for more specifics.

The GSC-10 will work fine. The HR should work too.

The mount on the 305 should be fixable (in some way) reasonably cheaply.
Old 07-20-20, 03:39 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The "out front" mount comes standard. The bundles come with speed/cadence sensors. Look those up for more specifics.

The GSC-10 will work fine. The HR should work too.

The mount on the 305 should be fixable (in some way) reasonably cheaply.
Thanks.

I talked to Garmin and they said both the HR strap and the GSC-10 should work fine with current Garmin units. They even sent me a new mount for the Edge 305 free of charge!

But I don't expect to use that very much anymore. I lost the data for the portion of the ride before the screen went blank... (about 45 miles). When I look at the history page in the 305, the data appears to be there, but when I sync it to Garmin Connect, it only pulls up a portion of the route after I got the display back up. So I"m not sure what it's doing. Good thing I had my Vivoactive HR watch on too. I got the data from that.

I'm leaning to either the 530 or the 830... but wonder if I should consider the units from Wahoo too. It's good to have choices! But can be confusing too.
Old 07-20-20, 05:03 PM
njkayaker

Thanks.

I talked to Garmin and they said both the HR strap and the GSC-10 should work fine with current Garmin units. They even sent me a new mount for the Edge 305 free of charge!

But I don't expect to use that very much anymore. I lost the data for the portion of the ride before the screen went blank... (about 45 miles). When I look at the history page in the 305, the data appears to be there, but when I sync it to Garmin Connect, it only pulls up a portion of the route after I got the display back up. So I"m not sure what it's doing. Good thing I had my Vivoactive HR watch on too. I got the data from that.

I'm leaning to either the 530 or the 830... but wonder if I should consider the units from Wahoo too. It's good to have choices! But can be confusing too.
Post the FIT file to the "fix my fit file" thread in the Garmin forums.

The Wahoo units are well-liked. Navigation-wise, they match the 520 but with better maps. They can't generate routes on the device (you have to use a smartphone). People appear to usually download routes to the Gamins but the on-device routing can be useful.

If you are really into navigation, the Garmins that use maps (520+ and units with larger "numeric" values) have more navigation options.

The 530/830 (and the 1030) appear to be fairly solid units.The screens on the 530/830 are a bit too small for navigation.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-20-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-20-20, 05:52 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Post the FIT file to the "fix my fit file" thread in the Garmin forums.

The Wahoo units are well-liked. Navigation-wise, they match the 520 but with better maps. They can't generate routes on the device (you have to use a smartphone). People appear to usually download routes to the Gamins but the on-device routing can be useful.

If you are really into navigation, the Garmins that use maps (520+ and units with larger "numeric" values) have more navigation options.

The 530/830 (and the 1030) appear to be fairly solid units.The screens on the 530/830 are a bit too small for navigation.
The Edge305 didn't use FIT files....The 205/305/605/705 is older than the FIT file format. FIT didn't come along until the Edge 500/800 vintage I want to say.
Old 07-20-20, 07:15 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
speedlever- frustrating to have things go sideways like that on a ride, but maybe the jinx on the 305 will provide a chuckle in hindsight at some point down the road. When I switched from an Edge 500 to my current 820 I got the bundle figuring A) the HRM I got with the 500 would fail sooner than later (of course it still hasn't) and B) the accelerometer-based speed and cadence sensors are a much tidier install than the magnet-based predecessor, both sensors have been reliable to the point of being forgettable.

There definitely is a lot to figure out with computers, and Garmin making the 530 and 830 so similar just makes deciding more difficult IMO. Depends on how tied in to the Garmin ecosystem you are, but if navigation isn't one of your top "wants" it seems like a good opportunity to see if a Wahoo device is a good fit, worst case return/exchange it and go back to Garmin. I will say, in my experience with navigation on my 820, I've been plenty happy with the screen size and how it displays info (as you approach a turn, it'll switch away from whatever data screen you're on, show the map zoomed to fit the upcoming turn with the route highlighted, count the distance down as you approach, and then return to the data screen you were on).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.