Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What to carry with tubeless wheels?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 08-30-20, 01:22 PM
grannygears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Hello, I have just bought my first tubeless gravel bike (2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0). I have never run tubeless before and I am excited to put it to the test. Normally I carry a tube, patches, bike multi tool and a Lezyne road drive hand pump mounted beside my water bottle cage.

Do I still need to carry a spare tube and pump with me on rides? Do you use these if the sealant doesn't do it's job and seal the puncture? So if I get a flat with a tubeless set up and it won't seal I am basically taking the tire off and installing a tube old school?

How hard is it to get the tubeless tire off the rim? Is it a really messy job? Do I need to carry a pump with me? Thanks
Old 08-30-20, 01:33 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Road bacon, pump, spare tube, and tire boot
Old 08-30-20, 01:45 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
If you are riding remote areas and want to be sure you'll get home, carry the same stuff you would if you had tubed tires. Extra tube or two, CO2 inflator and cartridges, mini pump, patches, tire boot as Elvo says.. Also carry some kind of plugging tool. I've used the bacon strips, but recently tried a Dynaplug tool on a 4 day 412 mile ride across NYS and the Dynaplug was worth it's cost...plugged a cut that was almost 1/4 inch in just a few seconds and rode on.

PUtting a tube in is a bit messy but not a huge deal...dump the excess sealant first. Had to do this on a solo remote-ish ride where I pinch flatted on a pretty rugged forest road a few weeks ago - sliced the tire right near the bead and sealant wasn't working.

Keep your sealant fresh. It's worth the cost. Every season at the very least, and top it up after flats. Change it every 2-3 months to be more certain it will work.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 08-30-20, 06:10 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
For my regular shorter rides not far from home, all I bring is CO2 inflator and one cartridge. I'm talking rides I could get a ride back from, or have a nice long walk home from if somehow I got a really bad puncture or gash. Anything longer, it's the CO2, a spare tube, a mini pump, tire lever, boot, bacon and tool. If I was going on a long bikepacking journey, I'd bring a way to sew up a bad sidewall gash.
I live where it's hot and dry and put in 2oz sealant in each tire every 3-4 months.
If you're new to tubeless, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how little (if ever) you use half of this stuff out there!
Old 08-30-20, 06:22 PM
grannygears

Thanks

Thanks for the reply's, sorry for my lack of knowledge here but this raises another question.

With regards to topping up the tires every 3-4 months do you just top it up thru the valve stem without taking the tire off? The old sealant does it just stay in there? Do you have to unmount the tires every 3-4 months to add more sealant? Thanks
Old 08-30-20, 06:33 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
What is “bacon”?
Old 08-30-20, 06:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
"Bacon" is a term for a plug. There are a number of plugging systems now. Since I use Stan's sealant, I am thinking about getting their Dart system. I have yet to have a puncture bad enough to need them though.
Old 08-31-20, 10:16 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
With tubeless, you still need a way to add air to the tire because you could get a minor puncture that the sealant fixes, but you lose some air in the process as the sealant gets pushed out the puncture. And of course there's always a chance of an unfixable puncture or tear.

Here's what I carry: air pump, CO2, CO2 inflator, tire lever, tire plug tool (the Stan's mentioned above is good), and a tube.
Old 08-31-20, 10:17 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
What is “bacon”?
https://www.jensonusa.com/Genuine-In...Of-Bacon-Plugs

This is the refill kit. The regular kit has the applicator tool.

I have used them several times with great success.
Old 08-31-20, 11:06 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I'd bring a way to sew up a bad sidewall gash.
A few rounds of Gorilla tape around my pump body for that.
Likes For u235:
Old 08-31-20, 11:45 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
The only thing I have ever actually used over the years was a tire pump. I've gotten pinch flats that of course won't seal before all of the air is gone.
By letting the sealant pool near the puncture and using low pressure, they both sealed up fine (with about 5 minutes of finagling).

I wouldn't want to use CO2 when trying to get sealant to plug a hole.
Old 08-31-20, 12:05 PM
howardv

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by grannygears
With regards to topping up the tires every 3-4 months do you just top it up thru the valve stem without taking the tire off? The old sealant does it just stay in there? Do you have to unmount the tires every 3-4 months to add more sealant? Thanks
Take off your wheel and shake it. Do you hear any fluids splashing around inside the wheel? If yes, then you're fine. Re-install wheel and ride. When you don't hear anything splashing around (or you feel the splashing noise is very low), then add sealant. If you have an injector, you just remove the stem from the valve and inject fluid without having to remove the tire (cleanest method). If you don't have a valve injector, then pry a bit of the tire off and pour in some sealant. But this breaks the bead and you may need a compressor to re-seat.

No need to clean or remove the old stuff. Just add sealant. Personally, although I check every few weeks, I usually add sealant about once a year. I ride often and it lasts me a lot longer than 3-4 months.

For my short rides (less than 10-15 miles from home), I carry Gup Tire Sealant. Works pretty good on tubeless set-ups. On longer rides, I carry a spare tube, boot, and co2. Once I ran over a razor sharp rock which made a small gash in my tire. Too large for the sealant to work, so all the sealant leaked out. I used the GUP and it couldn't completely seal it either, but it sealed it enough so I could limp back home on about 10 psi.
Old 08-31-20, 04:06 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Small piece of soap, to make a slip out of for the tyre bead install.

Hooked needle and strong dental floss.

Small amount of sealant in tube, plus valve injector head plastic tube.

Disposable foam earplugs.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 08-31-20, 04:25 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Beer.
Old 08-31-20, 04:49 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
A tube is needed if you get a puncture / gash that sealant won't fix, or if your sealant is all gone from sudden loss, or not keeping it topped up enough. Sealant level does need to periodically be checked, and how often is based on mileage / temps (more miles, higher temps = more often), or if you know you lost a lot from a puncture (usually there will be dried sealant all over your frame). Personally I just crack the tires open, drain what's in there out, reuse the old sealant if there was still a lot left (Orange Endurance), and refill to 2oz.

What's in my tool bag:

-Tubolito CX tube (expensive, but light and compact)
-co2 head with one 20g cartridge for regular rides, and an extra for weekend excursions
-Lezyne pocket drive pump with gorilla tape wrapped on it
-Basic tire plug tool with bacon strips
-Two small boots cut from old tubes
-Pre-glued tube patches (they weigh almost nothing and take up no space)
-Small cone shaped piece of plastic that is wedged in the strap of my saddlebag for very quick access to temporarily plug a hole (you need to plug big holes fast to minimize air / sealant loss)

I recommend practicing with your plug tool on a used tire, and also testing if your co2 and / or mini pump will inflate a completely flat tire that may have had the bead start to come off the rim. It's obviously better to get the tubeless fixed on a ride than having to go to the tube, but again, you want the tube as a backup too.
Old 09-03-20, 10:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Daily sort of ride: Stan’s darts, bottle of sealant, pump (not CO2). The sealant is there for if I’ve neglected it long enough it all dried out. I don’t plan for tire damage bad enough the darts won’t work.

If I were touring or going somewhere remote I’d have more stuff.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-05-20, 09:46 PM
dharvey8

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty much decided on the 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0. How is it for comfort?
And how do you like it so far?
Old 11-06-20, 06:45 AM
grannygears

Giant

Originally Posted by dharvey8
I'm pretty much decided on the 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced 0. How is it for comfort?
And how do you like it so far?

I guess comfort is all relative. I am coming from a mountain bike background and comfort hybrids so these road bike geometries is foreign to me. that being said this is my second gravel bike this year I used to own a Norco search XR but I sold it in favor of this giant revolt. I find the giant pretty comfortable and the gearing to be spot on. I have never wished for a bigger or smaller gear. The GRX-800 line is incredible The shifts are lightning fast and smooth as butter. I am 6'1 or 185 cm tall with a 34-in inseam and I went with the size large. It is pretty much perfect has a nice amount of seat posts exposed to allow for some flex in the diffuse seat post. It came with a 100 mm stem but I am really thinking about shortening that to an 80 or 90 mm stem because I feel too stretched out to get to the hoods. That's not a big deal though everything else on the bike is amazing. However I did switch out the maxis velocity tires that it came with because they are basically slicks and I put on some WTB Riddler 37 and they are incredible! Enjoy the bike if you get it I truly think it is the bike of the year for 2021!
Old 11-06-20, 07:48 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Daily sort of ride: Stan’s darts, bottle of sealant, pump (not CO2). The sealant is there for if I’ve neglected it long enough it all dried out. I don’t plan for tire damage bad enough the darts won’t work.
Wait, you bring a bottle of sealant on every daily ride?
Old 11-06-20, 10:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Wait, you bring a bottle of sealant on every daily ride?
The 2oz. I'm not great about remembering to top it off on schedule, and at least until this month's replacement, I had tires that wept
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-06-20, 06:49 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Small piece of soap, to make a slip out of for the tyre bead install.

Hooked needle and strong dental floss.

Small amount of sealant in tube, plus valve injector head plastic tube.

Disposable foam earplugs.
If i may ask, why the ear plugs?
Old 11-07-20, 02:25 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
If i may ask, why the ear plugs?
In case of tyre blow-off, using co2.
Old 11-07-20, 07:10 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
In case of tyre blow-off, using co2.
I blew a mountain bike tire off the rim once in my garage. My ears rang for two weeks.
Old 11-07-20, 01:22 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
I blew a mountain bike tire off the rim once in my garage. My ears rang for two weeks.
Must have greatly exceeded the maximum recommended tire pressure for that to happen.
Old 12-19-22, 05:44 PM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Removing Valve Stem

If I can't fix a flat with plugs and need to use a tube, will I need pliers to remove the valve stem, or can I do it by hand?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.