Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

To wear pro cycle kits or not to?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-05-14, 02:46 AM
Pedalhappy

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it considered ill taste to wear pro team kits? When you see someone wearing a pro kit what is the first thing that goes through your mind?

Last edited by Mark Stone; 11-05-14 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling in title
Old 11-05-14, 02:55 AM
k_kibbler

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First thing through my mind? "How much longer is this climb?" Also: "man it's humid today!" or sometimes "I should have pooped before this ride."

IOW, don't care. I wear them, too, it's nice to have matching jerseys and bibs. That said, I make an exception for youths running aero bars on fixies in full team kit + casquettes. They tend to behave rather obnoxiously.
Old 11-05-14, 03:34 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about what other people are wearing while I'm out riding. It's their money. I personally don't enjoy being a rolling billboard for someone who isn't paying me, but maybe that's just me. In general, it's not much different than being a fan of any other sports team and wearing their shirt. Competing in an actual race while wearing it, well that's a different story - I think that is generally frowned upon.
Old 11-05-14, 04:46 AM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedalhappy
Is it considered ill taste to wear pro team kits? When you see someone wearing a pro kit what is the first thing that goes through your mind?
No.
Old 11-05-14, 04:51 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I notice local club team kit, and it affects my expectations, but for the most part, pro team kit makes no impression - it may as well be generic. Often as not it's only the jersey, casually worn, nostalgic stuff, or maybe one of the more modest ensembles, like Movistar or Sky - never seen anyone in the whole Astana turquoise get-up or anything like that. That would be in questionable taste.

However, there was one occasion when, early one morning, I passed a guy on a BMC wearing full BMC kit getting ready to enter the greenway. I thought to myself "who does this guy think he is?" He passed me soon enough, maintaining a fine cadence, but clearly relaxed. He said 'good morning' and I figured I'd see if I could take pace at a reasonable distance. At one point, as we were zipping along around 20mph or better, he sat up and ate a banana, as if it was nothing. If it hadn't seemed so natural, I would have thought he was showing off. He started fiddling with something else and slowed a little, and as I started to close the gap, I figured I should go around. Eventually I get to the spot to turn and head across town to the park and he pulls alongside. He asks how to get to the park, so I tell him that's where I was going and would show him. But I am quite shocked that an accomplished roadie living in Manhattan wouldn't know how to get to Central Park. We chat along the way and I ask him if he ever raced. "I used to make my living at it. That's why I have all this stuff. Stopped a while back and just dragged it out of storage last night"
Well, that explains things! Nice guy.
Old 11-05-14, 05:01 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I notice local club team kit, and it affects my expectations, but for the most part, pro team kit makes no impression - it may as well be generic. Often as not it's only the jersey, casually worn, nostalgic stuff, or maybe one of the more modest ensembles, like Movistar or Sky - never seen anyone in the whole Astana turquoise get-up or anything like that. That would be in questionable taste.

However, there was one occasion when, early one morning, I passed a guy on a BMC wearing full BMC kit getting ready to enter the greenway. I thought to myself "who does this guy think he is?" He passed me soon enough, maintaining a fine cadence, but clearly relaxed. He said 'good morning' and I figured I'd see if I could take pace at a reasonable distance. At one point, as we were zipping along around 20mph or better, he sat up and ate a banana, as if it was nothing. If it hadn't seemed so natural, I would have thought he was showing off. He started fiddling with something else and slowed a little, and as I started to close the gap, I figured I should go around. Eventually I get to the spot to turn and head across town to the park and he pulls alongside. He asks how to get to the park, so I tell him that's where I was going and would show him. But I am quite shocked that an accomplished roadie living in Manhattan wouldn't know how to get to Central Park. We chat along the way and I ask him if he ever raced. "I used to make my living at it. That's why I have all this stuff. Stopped a while back and just dragged it out of storage last night"
Well, that explains things! Nice guy.
Yeah...I think judging a book by its cover is often wrong. I personally don't wear pro kit but see others in it from time to time. They maybe fast and they may not be and it really doesn't matter to me. They may just be fans of a given team...like wearing a football jersey. Don't really care but personally, I wouldn't wear it but have no problem with what others wear. I don't like to get dropped by a guy in a flappy tee shirt however.
Old 11-05-14, 06:17 AM
Sheldoncooper

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Giant OCR, Giant XTC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Club kit, fine, go for it
full pro kit, nah no way
me, I don't own any, I don't even wear Lycra, I wear MTB padded shorts on my road bikes, don't do Lycra shorts, don't wear cycle specific top, I own a coupl of nice bikes and keep up a good cadence, some other riders look at me like I'm the poor relation, do I care, nahh
Old 11-05-14, 06:31 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wear the same cologne as Bauke Mollema...I figure that's close enough.
Old 11-05-14, 07:01 AM
68venable

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope. Nobody really cares what anyone else is wearing.
Old 11-05-14, 07:16 AM
RogueRadio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldoncooper
Club kit, fine, go for it
full pro kit, nah no way
me, I don't own any, I don't even wear Lycra, I wear MTB padded shorts on my road bikes, don't do Lycra shorts, don't wear cycle specific top, I own a coupl of nice bikes and keep up a good cadence, some other riders look at me like I'm the poor relation, do I care, nahh

Rule #
17 // Team kit is for members of the team.

Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.

Rule #
18 // Know what to wear. Don’t suffer kit confusion.

No baggy shorts and jerseys while riding the road bike. No lycra when riding the mountain bike (unless racing XC). Skin suits only for cyclocross.

Velominati ? The Rules

Get with the program gentleman. Lets bring cycling back to its former glory
Old 11-05-14, 07:21 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
:

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-05-14, 07:30 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lot's of opinions on this one:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...s-ok-wear.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...team-kits.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...ok-cheesy.html
Old 11-05-14, 07:30 AM
cleansheet

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not going out and purchasing one. However, I won one at a recent Grand Fondo as a raffle prize. Nice Craft brand, very comfortable. I don't give a sh#t what anyone thinks, I'm going to wear it. Just wish they threw in the socks .
Old 11-05-14, 08:26 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My wife sometimes wears pro team kits.

But they were provided to her by one of the team's sponsors.
Old 11-05-14, 08:34 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Who cares? Not me. Bright colors help us become more visible to drivers. Also, in some places all you find in a shop is pro team replica jerseys.
I think about if the other riders colors make him more visible, once in a while. I may decide to try another brightly colored jersey myself some times. Most of the time I don't look, or I look at the bike to see if it is interesting.
Old 11-05-14, 08:42 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No problem.

Old 11-05-14, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueRadio
If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.
Major cycling wardrobe fail I have seen far too often.
Old 11-05-14, 08:48 AM
Dstl1

Bikes: 14 Fuji SST 1.3 Build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't care about a guy wearing an authentic Peyton Manning jersey....or a full Trek team kit, either. I'm of the belief that most regular guys like us work hard for their bike/gear money. Let people wear what they like and makes them good...and do the same yourself.
Old 11-05-14, 08:49 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Wear what u want, nobody cares, really, no one cares what you wear. It's a fact.
Old 11-05-14, 08:58 AM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Look up "Poseur".
Old 11-05-14, 09:00 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the kit is comfortable, good quality, priced right, looks good, then who cares? Others will quickly realize that you're not a pro rider and are just wearing a nice kit. This only relates to recreational rides, not races. Stay with the team kits for racing.
Old 11-05-14, 09:04 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like to wear jerseys from teams that have been gone for decades, but I don't think I'd wear one from a current team unless I was on the team.

I really don't care what anyone else wears, because it doesn't affect me in any way.
Old 11-05-14, 09:35 AM
SlowerGuy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Castelli doesn't make its gear available in size XS via normal sales channels.
Hence you have to buy it from some team (sometimes used, sometimes new).
That's why I often wear "pro" kits -- Castelli Jerseys in size XS are a good fit for me.
Old 11-05-14, 09:39 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I usually wear a novara metro baggy shorts with a primal jersey, i dont care if i see riders wearing full kits. I just wear whats comfortable.
Old 11-05-14, 09:48 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
No problem.

How did you get my picture without me noticing you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.