Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Quirky things you do on your rides

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Quirky things you do on your rides

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 05:33 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
On the way out of my neighborhood are 2 small bumps about a foot apart on the road. For some reason, I always want to ride between them as if it will ensure good luck. I’ve even raced cars or slowed down just so I can get to do this.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 11-12-19, 03:22 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
When I wear the rain cape I use my legs to signal my turns.
Good one!
Old 11-12-19, 04:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by kellichou
I love this! I talk to animals a lot on my ride:
  • "Bun-bun, make the right choice!" damn bunnies, so cute and they jump right in front of me (they're lucky I'm slow!).
  • "You have a lovely family!" to the hissy and nervous springtime papa goose.
  • "CrowFRIENDS, get some FOOD!" to the crows, especially the groups of juveniles who are learning how to fend for themselves.
  • Long, loud, and low call of "COYOOOOOOOOOTE! Go on, GIT!" to the curious coyotes in Jan-Feb (their mating season around here, when I see a lot of them in the early morning and they aren't as skittish as they are the rest of the year).
I have a song for when birds (mostly sparrows) are all over the trail early in the morning. "Good morning little birdlies, good morning to youuu. Good morning little birdlies, good morning to youuuuuuuuu!' In a loud, operatic falsetto. That gets 'em moving.
Old 11-13-19, 11:11 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by devianb
I recently converted to tubeless for my mtb commuter. I intentionally ride aggressively down bad roads with massive potholes and ride through broken glass. Since it is the only bike I have with fenders I also splash in the puddles without a care in the world.
I purposely "don't dodge" puddles now that I have good fenders then always surprise myself that I am still dry!

I also swear under my breath a lot at traffic