Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Shimano crank arm compatibility with 105 5700

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 06:39 PM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Looking into power meters, in particular the 4iiii left only options. I notice on their website they have the newer 105 R7000 discounted a bit. I have 105 5700 on my bike. Will the arm be compatible? How would I know, in general, whether a newer component would be compatible with my bike's equipment?
Old 12-02-19, 08:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
By discovering the arm's interface with the axle, the arm's shape (straight or some "s" curve) and the arm's length (and pedal threading but most all are the common 9/16"x20TPI). Andy
Old 12-03-19, 08:40 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Are you looking to replace just the left arm on your current crank or replace the entire crank? Your FC-5700 is a 10-speed crank and the FC-R7000 is 11-speed but that shouldn't matter if you change the entire crank and it uses the same bottom bracket as the 5700. If you just want to substitute the R7000 left arm on your current 5700 crank, illustrations of the FC-R7000 left arm seem to be very similar in shape to the FC-5700 and, of course, uses the same HTII attaching format. So, just the left crank arm of the FC-R7000 should work if you match the arm length to your current 5700 crank.
Old 12-04-19, 12:20 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Simple answer, yes, all Shimano external BB cranks use the same interface, the power meter is on the left/NDS, so it's just a case of removing the pedal, and crank arm, then installing the 4iiii arm and pedal, you may want to check it's the same/correct length you need, and expect questions as to why from other riders, as it will look weird, but you won't notice this when riding.
Old 05-26-21, 03:18 PM
Sgtohk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Simple answer, yes, all Shimano external BB cranks use the same interface, the power meter is on the left/NDS, so it's just a case of removing the pedal, and crank arm, then installing the 4iiii arm and pedal, you may want to check it's the same/correct length you need, and expect questions as to why from other riders, as it will look weird, but you won't notice this when riding.
Why will it look weird. I have one. It's identical.