Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ordered a new chain what I got was fake

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ordered a new chain what I got was fake

Old 12-07-19, 01:52 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I also got the same hard plastic casing for the packaging on a recent KMC 10 speed chain purchased at the beginning of 2019. So I assume it's genuine, since the guy from KMC posted above that this is how their packaging it now. However, last year in 2018, I bought 2 KMC chains from the same big bike retailer, and they sent me those 2 chains in plastic bags. No hard casing or box. I didn't think about whether or not it was genuine, but the chain still worked as intended. The lubricant in those 2 chains from 2018 that came in plastic bags was extremely sticky though. The chain from 2019 that came in the hard plastic casing had very light and runny lubricant.
Old 12-07-19, 04:16 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Yes, thank you for answering. I'm not sure at this point whether what I got was real or not since I sent it back immediately, my son lives down the street from UPS and happened to be there when I opened the package. I'm not a graphics designer, but I don't think the new packaging does you any favors. It left the product feeling too generic and didn't distinguish between the various X8 varieties. Just looking at the pics in the earlier post makes it obvious, the older cardboard box has X8.93 on it and some features of the chain, speeds that it works with, etc... The plastic box just says X8 with a generic "superior shifting performance". Nothing about the chain. Now since a lot of this is sold online maybe it doesn't matter as much, but it wouldn't jump off a shelf.
I recently had the same doubt. Got a few x10 chains, expecting the package to say what exact model, but it only said x10 and the chains were dirt cheap and not chromed like the one i had before. They were in the same plastic box, pictured before
Old 12-08-19, 04:18 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I recently had the same doubt. Got a few x10 chains, expecting the package to say what exact model, but it only said x10 and the chains were dirt cheap and not chromed like the one i had before. They were in the same plastic box, pictured before
As I told the KMC guy through this thread, they didn't do themselves any favors with the packaging. If you ask me they completely cheapened the product with the packaging and you don't know what you're getting. I also don't believe the recycling angle, how is plastic better than cardboard? Even if that plastic is recyclable it won't get recycled if it goes into the bike shops garbage and becomes another piece of plastic in the landfill.
Old 12-08-19, 04:25 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
A couple of years ago I ordered a Shimano Ultegra RB chain through Amazon. The chain came in the Shimano box and superficially looked brand new. But when it came to put it on the bike it was discovered to be worn out. Upon closer inspection, it was discovered it was three different used chains put together. I reported it to the third body vendor Amazon used and they offered a lengthy believable explanation with an apology and sent me a brand new chain.
Old 12-08-19, 05:53 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
As I told the KMC guy through this thread, they didn't do themselves any favors with the packaging. If you ask me they completely cheapened the product with the packaging and you don't know what you're getting. I also don't believe the recycling angle, how is plastic better than cardboard? Even if that plastic is recyclable it won't get recycled if it goes into the bike shops garbage and becomes another piece of plastic in the landfill.
In your particular case, as the KMC guy inferred, the lube on the chain contaminates the cardboard box therefore rendering it not recyclable.
Likes For Davet:
Old 12-09-19, 06:09 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Ado
KMC here to answer a few questions from the above conversation:
- Not sure about the chain that the OP bought as there are many accounts selling fake chains of all speeds (regardless of price). We are trying to clamp down on this but the gray market is difficult to eliminate and a very hard animal to tame.
- we produce all of our own chains. We don't outsource chain production so there aren't any rogue production lines out there or "extra" production stock being sold.
- X8 new packaging is the plastic box. There is still some old packaging in the market but all should be changed over soon. If you buy any chains in sketchy looking packaging or in bags or plain white boxes or whatever else is out there, this could be fake or not official product.
- X8 is 7.3mm and corresponding connecting links are 7.3mm. These come in several color options and have the code CL573 or CL573R (R = reusable).
Are chains bought directly from amazon susceptible to this? I ordered a large batch of X11sl Ti chains that were shipped from an amazon warehouse
Old 12-11-19, 08:37 AM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Are chains bought directly from amazon susceptible to this? I ordered a large batch of X11sl Ti chains that were shipped from an amazon warehouse
Many sellers selling fake chains will use this and other platforms. If you have any questions concerning product authenticity, please contact our offices in the US (kmcchain.us), Europe (kmcchain.eu) or we can point you in the right direction at kmcchain.com
Likes For Papa Ado:
Old 12-11-19, 10:13 AM
RubenZ

Bikes: 2016 KONA Process 134 DL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very simple. Who was the seller on AMAZON. Was it from KMC? chances are then it wasn't a fake. A lot of companies send their products to amazon to stock and package for them.
Old 12-11-19, 10:37 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by RubenZ
Very simple. Who was the seller on AMAZON. Was it from KMC? chances are then it wasn't a fake. A lot of companies send their products to amazon to stock and package for them.
One problem with Amazon is the mixed (commingled) inventory system. For some products, seller can mix their inventory with other sellers. I don't remember, but I think there is a discount for sellers to do this since the inventory management is easier to handle. But it means fake items or defective items can be sold in the place of your own items.
Old 12-11-19, 12:33 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I guess the question is why fake such a low dollar item? There isn’t enough money involved for the risk.
I too believe it was not fake for this exact reason. Most counterfeits are on high end items, not discount items. The profit margin on a discount item is already low, so it makes little sense to counterfeit it. It was most likely just a packaging change on KMC, as others have mentioned.
Old 12-11-19, 08:14 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I bought a X9 chain earlier this month, in the newer packaging (plastic box), and it looks chrome-y to me. 🤔 I still need to mount it, almost certainly tomorrow, so I'll grab a pic or two.
Old 12-12-19, 12:55 AM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
One problem with Amazon is the mixed (commingled) inventory system. For some products, seller can mix their inventory with other sellers. I don't remember, but I think there is a discount for sellers to do this since the inventory management is easier to handle. But it means fake items or defective items can be sold in the place of your own items.
Everything is copied, even our most economical entry level chains. China is a very different animal.
Old 12-12-19, 12:57 AM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Originally Posted by RubenZ
Our US office sells directly to Amazon for resale. You can contact them at info@kmcchain.us to determine whichis an authorized account/seller there. Again, we are doing our best to crack down on fakes and unauthorized sellers. If you see any iffy accounts/products, please let us know.
Likes For Papa Ado:
Old 12-12-19, 02:57 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by stardognine
I bought a X9 chain earlier this month, in the newer packaging (plastic box), and it looks chrome-y to me. 🤔 I still need to mount it, almost certainly tomorrow, so I'll grab a pic or two.
As promised, a pic or two. If any are fakes, I'd think a non-chromed one would probably be it. 🤔

Old 12-12-19, 05:33 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I had my doubts about the one I received when I started this thread and if you ask me, the chain in the picture above looks the same as mine did and didn't look to be a quality product. The chain I received the second time looked fine, but it came in the older box.
Old 12-15-19, 08:09 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

As promised, a pic or two. If any are fakes, I'd think a non-chromed one would probably be it. 🤔
Are you in the states? Could you take a photo of the back of the box and send to info@kmcchain.us ?

I had my doubts about the one I received when I started this thread and if you ask me, the chain in the picture above looks the same as mine did and didn't look to be a quality product. The chain I received the second time looked fine, but it came in the older box.
Apologies for this. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions/concerns regarding KMC products you receive.
Old 12-16-19, 06:56 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I guess the question is why fake such a low dollar item? There isn’t enough money involved for the risk.
They fake Epiphone guitars, and people say the same thing about that. But what you get is a particle board piece of crap with shiny paint on it. Price range on a real one is $400-$700, which is the beginning of the decent quality range. The poor dumb people buy them thinking they're getting the deal of the century, but they're getting completely screwed over. Then thinking they have a real one for ten years or however long, they try to sell it and 50 people tell them it's fake in the first week it's up for sale. They just keep bouncing around the internet over and over, and everyone is getting screwed if they don't know a fake from the real thing. The same guitar can pass through many hands before it is found out, and boy are people PISSED when they find out. Some people KNOWINGLY sell the fakes used, and of course they get really defensive and threaten physical violence, etc. Even guitar stores get fooled, if they do trade ins on used guitars. I have talked to several people who tell me "I bought it at Guitar Center, so it HAS to be real." Nope, sorry it's still fake.

Knock off crap is a HUGE racket, and it doesn't matter how cheap or expensive it is. They will fake ANYTHING to make a buck!! Even guitar strings which are $5-$15 a set are faked!!

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-16-19 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 07:14 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Papa Ado
Are you in the states? Could you take a photo of the back of the box and send to info@kmcchain.us ?

I'm in Arizona now, yes, but I threw away that box, right after I mounted that chain. Sorry about that, and the slow reply. 🙂

When I posted that pic, I honestly thought I had a "good" chain, but not so sure now. I get some funny skipping, especially on the 22t chainring. But I've upgraded the brifters, cassette and chainrings too, recently, so hesitate to blame the chain just yet. 🤔
It feels like maybe the chain is too long, for my setup, but I'm not that experienced to say that for sure. Been riding the 32t ring for now, which is good, but eventually, I need to sort this out better. 🙂 It's just a weird time of year, obviously. 😉
Old 12-16-19, 09:30 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

I'm in Arizona now, yes, but I threw away that box, right after I mounted that chain. Sorry about that, and the slow reply. 🙂

When I posted that pic, I honestly thought I had a "good" chain, but not so sure now. I get some funny skipping, especially on the 22t chainring. But I've upgraded the brifters, cassette and chainrings too, recently, so hesitate to blame the chain just yet. 🤔
It feels like maybe the chain is too long, for my setup, but I'm not that experienced to say that for sure. Been riding the 32t ring for now, which is good, but eventually, I need to sort this out better. 🙂 It's just a weird time of year, obviously. 😉
Please don't blame the chain just yet Sounds like there are a myriad of uncontrolled variables involved.
Old 12-07-21, 08:54 AM
wilsoncb

Bikes: Lemond (road), Surley LHT, Bambo (hand made)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Here is another example on Amazon. I don't know what to think. This seller is showing both X10 ($30.00) and X10.93 (46.99). The X10.93 in old packaging. So they actually the same or counterfeit? Label on the back of the X10 package says made in Taiwan. In the Technical Details section they show the manufacture to be Cycle Force Group for the X10 and KMC for the X10.93.
Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N6VZEJSFU&th=1

Old 12-12-21, 06:53 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

KMC here. These both look legit. There are still some older packaging and models (X10.93) floating around. But please be cautious of older packaging (including the long plastic boxes) as these are easier to copy.
Likes For Papa Ado: