Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Keep in a box or sell?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Keep in a box or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 10:42 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Keep in a box or sell?

I was going over my spare parts that might have value yesterday and will be putting some stuff on eBay soon. Only one thing is c&v.

I've got a pair of Dura Ace 7400 pedals with the special wrench. I've got an '85 with full DA 7400 they came off of but I really prefer Looks. Even just messing around with them, I can't see ever using them. They seem to sell just north of $100 on the bay, that's not bad.

So what to do. I don't need the money. I don't need the extra space. I'll probably never use these pedals. Is it really keeping the group together if one part is at the bottom of a box?
Old 12-10-19, 10:50 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Don't need the money or space? Keep them in case you ever sell the bike. Otherwise, put them out there for those who want them.
Old 12-10-19, 10:56 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Sell them. If you're never going to use them what's the point of keeping it in a box? The only reason I can think (for you) to hold on to them is if the value will go up and you can sell later, but these won't really go up in value at any point.
Old 12-10-19, 12:38 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
For riders who still like toe straps on the track- these are the answer. Well, at least at the steep banked wood track in Carson California.

terrific clearance
Old 12-10-19, 12:43 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I was looking for pictures of this mentioned '85.

Keep them. (keep in mind -- it is not about need)
Old 12-10-19, 01:31 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Usually what I do in this case, if I don't need it, know I won't ever use it, and I'm not hard up for space or cash, but it's something I know another C&V'er would use or love, I either (a) refer back to what I bought it for or (b) check the going SOLD prices at eBay and take off anywhere from 20-40%, then I take myself over to the Classic & Vintage Sales section to post it at whatever (a) or (b) ends up being.

I won't lie, though. I only do this for a tiny percentage of what I have. Mostly because it seems like, every time I get rid of something, someone here ends up needing it and I could've just given it to them, else I end up needing it 6-12 months down the road and the price inevitably ends up being way higher than I parted with mine for. Plenty similar cases of that over here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ituations.html

I also tend to accumulate a lot of stuff, and the local co-op I try to donate to at least twice a year doesn't want or need more, so I'll sometimes do bulk sales here. I think the last one was the a 'pedalooza' thread where I sold a box full of pedals for some silly price that was probably half what I paid to ship it all.

Important thing to remember is, and I think about this every time I let something go for 10-20%+ what I could get on eBay: eBay takes a percentage of your sale, they take a percentage on the shipping, and they take a percentage on the financial transaction. When all is said and done, sometimes that can be 15-20% of your sale price. You're better off just spending the $13/yr for your yellow jersey allowing you to sell, and hooking a fellow C&V'er up with non-gougey prices. Just one of many ways you can "stick it to the man" (eBay).
Old 12-10-19, 08:23 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Keep 'em because one day you will want to build something with them! I kept a NIB Campagnolo Super Record gruppo over 30 years and am putting it on 'something' very soon! This seat post hadn't seen the light of day in over 30 years... just look at it!!!
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 12-11-19, 10:19 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

All good thoughts. No clear consensus on what to do.
Old 12-11-19, 11:55 AM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
With no intent to use, I would lean towards selling. I do enjoy ogling bikes and paraphernalia myself, but tend to let it go at some point if I don't need or intend to use it.

Old 12-11-19, 12:14 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
All good thoughts. No clear consensus on what to do.
Consensus rarely happens these days. You'll have to decide whether a stash of lovely vintage bike parts is going to make your life fuller. If it isn't, sell your parts and take your significant other on a vaca somewhere.
Old 12-11-19, 12:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
...I ride Shimano aero pedals on probably 20 bikes, so I'm not the best person to be advising on something like this. If you ever do decide to go back to trying clips and straps, those are definitely one of the better ways to do it. I think the only reason you don't see more of them in use is because the unique clips (especially in the larger sizes) became unobtanium some years back.
Old 12-11-19, 12:27 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I ride Shimano aero pedals on probably 20 bikes, so I'm not the best person to be advising on something like this. If you ever do decide to go back to trying clips and straps, those are definitely one of the better ways to do it. I think the only reason you don't see more of them in use is because the unique clips (especially in the larger sizes) became unobtanium some years back.
Do you mean the slotted cleat that actually lines up with the shape of the pedals? Those do look cool.

Since they're plastic, it seems like something that should be 3d printed.
Old 12-11-19, 01:20 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Do you mean the slotted cleat that actually lines up with the shape of the pedals? .
....I was talking about the toe clips themselves. For a while, people were selling them used on ebay for upwards of $50 for the clips alone. I have a reserve stash now, so I don't follow the recent sales.
Old 12-11-19, 01:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shimano-EXTR...oAAOSwCGVX4wRj
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dura-Ace-Ped...kAAOSw3xJVaiGs
Old 12-11-19, 01:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I don't really need the money or space either. But I prefer to convert surplus stuff to cash, then use the cash to support local causes. Now if a friend needed them, I would give them to them. The added advantage is getting rid of clutter. I have the luxury of space, but that doesn't mean it needs to be full. Thus I am currently working the inventory down, down, down. And then just occasionally picking up an interesting project.
Old 12-12-19, 11:34 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I'd lean toward keep, for two options:
* Let's say you wear out or ruin the shoes you use with your Looks - maybe the sole cracks where the clean mounts or something. Without a pair of cage+strap pedals, you're grounded. With those other pedals stashed, you can at least get by with some sort of flat-bottomed shoe for the interim
* The point you make above - might be nice to keep on hand if a "friend in need" situation comes up.
Of course, this kind of thinking can get away from you, to where you have boxes of stuff you don't even remember you have. But if it's something small-ish and specific like these pedals....
Old 12-16-19, 05:18 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
A week after I sell something, I find out that I needed "that" something I just sold..same for using NOS....use it and fins a great deal on a very nice part.
I would only want to put NOS on a really clean ride and then I would still have second thoughts about it.
Ben
Old 12-16-19, 05:20 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
A week after I sell something, I find out that I needed "that" something I just sold.......
That's why I'm afraid to sell anything. It's happened too many times.