Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Furley - want to go with gears

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 02:28 PM
eightclicknine

Bikes: Raleigh Furley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all!

So I've got a '16 Raleigh Furley. I like SS, but I really want to add some gears. Would a SRAM 1x be easiest?

The rear wheel is already setup to accept a cassette, and there are mounts for cabling and a derailleur. The size is 58cm.

Is there a kit for this sort of thing? Has anyone else done this that could possibly provide a parts list?

Money really isn't a big deal, but if I can keep the conversion under $400 that would be good.

Thanks all!
Old 09-13-16, 03:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Jagwire Universal Sport Shift Cable Kit, Black - Modern Bike
Jagwire Universal Sport Brake Kit, Black - Modern Bike

Then get the shifters you want and matching derailleurs and cassette.
New bar tape and chain too.

If you want a double crank then a new crank and bottom bracket.

You should be able to get loose housing by the foot and 4 cables from a bike shop for $30 or less of younwant to go that way.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 09-13-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 10:02 AM
eightclicknine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

I'll start the parts search and see what I can get.
Old 09-14-16, 12:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by eightclicknine
Thanks for the reply!

I'll start the parts search and see what I can get.
A 1x system would be easiest since you already have the crank. No idea if its good or junk though...it appears to be generic based on their website.
CX ? Shimano Road Compatible Shifters for use with Short Pull Brakes | Gevenalle just a suggestion whether you go 1x or 2x up front. I have these on my latest build and absolutely love them. The 1x is just 1 shifter...obviously. UniversalCycles has them for 10% off and free shipping with a code VIP10. They are really easy to use and basic- its a glorified pivot. But the finish is excellent.

Another option- chainreactioncycles if you want Shimano 105 STI shifters(going double up front). The shifters are dirt cheap right now, like $124 and free shipping. Itd give you 2x11 shifting.

Chainreaction, ribble, wiggle, merlin, and planetx are 5 sites overseas which typically have components for less than anywhere stateside. Significantly less to where its tough to justify paying so much more.

As for installing it all, it really is quite plug-n-play at this point. Youtube, parktool.com, and sheldon brown are 3 excellent resources that will show you exactly how to do each part of the build.
Happy hunting and learning! It can be a struggle, but its also really rewarding to complete it all and know your bike better than ever.
Oh- and I just saw your brakes are disc. Dont get what I linked. Instead, consider compressionless brake housing. Its more expensive, but from what I have read(not used, just read), it performs better than standard brake housing when used with disc brakes.
Old 09-22-16, 02:11 PM
eightclicknine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an update, I ordered the Jagwire kit recommended earlier.
I found some microshift bar ends for cheapish on Amazon so I ordered those.

I am going to use a 9 speed Sora derailleur and cassette I currently have on a different bike i'm not riding.

Keeping the front chainring on there.

Mostly just going this way for cost effectiveness and to use parts that would otherwise just be laying around. There aren't many climbs that give me trouble as it is on 39x18 so I suspect the 11-32 cassette will be just fine.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 09-23-16, 10:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://www.raleighusa.com/furley

In your situation , Id go with an Alfine Disc 8 or 11 speed IGH rather than bodge a derailleur setup.

To take advantage of the front eccentric, to have the chain with just the right amount of tension, not ever jump off .

./.
Old 11-20-19, 08:18 PM
Oro1212

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I know some time has passed but I was wondering how this went for you? Im considering doing the same conversion after some years of having the single speed, I have a 2015 furley.