Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Possible to compose my own new bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Possible to compose my own new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-19, 03:03 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I have bicycle preferences that don't seem to be met by the industry but could be had in theory. Is there any way for me to choose all (or most) of my components/parts, so that I have the exact combination that I want from the very beginning? Such as a website that will allow me to start with a cro-mo loaded-touring frame/fork, then let me choose any combination of components (unless they aren't compatible) ?
You can either do as several have suggested and buy the frame of your choosing, the components you want and build the bike yourself. Or, if you have around $9,000.00 to burn, you can always go with a Trek Project One.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-01-19, 09:48 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
After more "window shopping", I think I've found a bike that's close to what I want. I'm not sure that I like this season's color choices - black or grey - but, the Surly Disc Trucker seems to be what I want, with the exception of the wheelset. It appears that the 650b size rim w/the WTB Horizon tire along with some kind of full-length fender will work with the 26" version of this Surly. Maybe I can get the shop to swap out the wheels and just charge me the difference.
Disc Trucker has pretty good components; any special reason for wanting the 650b wheels? I'd lean to trying the stock 26" wheels first since it's pretty close to the 650b; tire choice could easily be a bigger factor in handling/comfort than a 1" rim diameter difference. With fenders, esp, 650b might limit max tire width a bit vs the 26".
Old 12-02-19, 01:19 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Disc Trucker has pretty good components; any special reason for wanting the 650b wheels? I'd lean to trying the stock 26" wheels first since it's pretty close to the 650b; tire choice could easily be a bigger factor in handling/comfort than a 1" rim diameter difference. With fenders, esp, 650b might limit max tire width a bit vs the 26".
I thought I'd seen more examples of this bike/tire combo with what appear to be proper fenders but, apparently it's only these two:
https://live.staticflickr.com/7827/4...0d85b96926.jpg
https://store.bluelug.com/media/cata...pp_27511_1.jpg

I'll wait until I can get better confirmation.

(This here is why I would use a composition compatibility website feature)
Old 12-03-19, 11:13 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I thought I'd seen more examples of this bike/tire combo with what appear to be proper fenders but, apparently it's only these two:
https://live.staticflickr.com/7827/4...0d85b96926.jpg
https://store.bluelug.com/media/cata...pp_27511_1.jpg

I'll wait until I can get better confirmation.

(This here is why I would use a composition compatibility website feature)
First pic tires look ~40mm-wide tires, second pic maybe 50mm tires but a smoother tread; both pics seem to show adequate fender clearance but I've read that with the wide knobby tires, fenders might not fit well.
Old 12-04-19, 02:55 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Here's my touring bike with WTB 650x47 Byways. Can definitely fit full fenders

Likes For Elvo:
Old 12-05-19, 06:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I began composing bikes in my early teens. Not unlike Mozart, who began at 8, I believe.

My most recent composition took me to the far flung reaches of the Chinese provinces, from which factory workers had been harvested to create my parts from raw materials. With the exchange of currencies and global transport, receiving my cherished parts was easy, leaving me time to relax and ponder their travels. Assembly or 'fitting' posed little challenge, since I speak both Newton-meters and inch-pounds.

Ah, Newton...now there was a great mind...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 12-06-19, 07:42 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Is there any way for me to choose all (or most) of my components/parts, so that I have the exact combination that I want from the very beginning?
Any good bike shop will do that. If you're shopping for less expensive complete bikes you'll pay a lot more. Compared to expensive complete bikes you'll pay less without the manufacturers' premium for a built up "nicer" frame that might differ only in paint. Obviously you'll get what you want.

You can buy a frame and hang whatever parts you want on it, noting European online prices are lower than US wholesale.

You can even get used or New Old Stock components when they no longer make what you want. I switched to 2006 Campagnolo Record Titanium 10 speed triple parts with 2010 Cantaur Carbon Ultrashift levers in 2013.

Having a bike built in 1997 was a better choice for me than buying something off the showroom floor. Campagnolo Athena brakes + headset, 50-40-30 Racing-T crank + derailleurs x 13-21 cassette yielding a 13-19 straight block for flat rides plus low like 42x28 for mountains, Chorus ball bearing shifters, Chorus hubs with grease ports, Cinelli 66 deep drop bars to have both comfortable all-day and low fast positions, my favorite saddle, my preferred bar tape, and color coordinated cages:

That ran $2000 sans pedals/cages ($3200 adjusted for inflation). A decent steel or aluminum bike could have run $1000, same frame with 105 $1700 as a factory bike, and a stock Chorus titanium bike would have been more expensive. None of the stock alternatives would have matched my tastes or come with hand-built wheels.

I'm still riding the frame and fork 22 years later, including 35,000 miles over the last decade.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-06-19 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-06-19, 08:08 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm suggesting eg. go to LBS (eg Trek shop).
1. Pick frame/style of bike (eg. Emonda, Madone, Domane)
2. Pick groupset perhaps (eg. Tiagra thru DA Di2)
3. Pick cockpit pkg (cheap alloy pkg up to aero CF)
4. Pick wheelset (cheap alloy up to deep aero CF)
The LBS would in theory be sitting there to help you make the smart choices. The 3-4 pkg options would be sitting at the distributor for delivery within 2-3 days for final assembly by the LBS. For such a service, add on $100-200 for the LBS's time to assemble.
Any decent shop will do that for you and mix component levels, noting that without Shimano's steep OEM discount you may not like the price..

I got mine from Excel Sports Boulder which was a few blocks from my office.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-06-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-06-19, 08:12 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
You could try benscyles.com go to their Milwaukee Bicycle Co site, pick your frame, color, decals, badges, then the components. Their frames are custom made by Waterford in WI, great people at Bens, have dealt with them personally many times, one of the best bike shops in the Midwest.
Tim
Old 12-06-19, 08:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Any decent shop will do that for you and mix component levels, noting that without Shimano's steep OEM discount you may not like the price..
Yeah, well that's the issue. What we'd wish for is that the bike Mfgs are able to provide boxed-up component pkgs (cockpit A, B, or C; Wheelset A, B, or C, Groupset A, B, or C), have these available at their distributors, and the final build is made up of the config chosen by a consumer, but done at the LBS -- but with these options priced based on OEM pricing. As long as eg. Trek, Spesh, etc. commit to not selling or making these component 'boxes' standalone (like eg. Ribble, CRC, etc were doing) but only as part of a complete, then I don't see why Shimano etc. wouldn't make available? The only difference is that the final assembly would take place at the LBS and not in eg. Taiwan -- and for that, that would be the $200-$300 build charge would be applied.

Bike shop happy (extra couple hundred bucks to pay labor for staff they already likely have on payroll). Consumer happy as they can get something closer to exactly what they want. Manufacturer happy as they have differentiated themselves from companies who don't do this, and therefore sell more bikes.

Would like to see there even being size selection options in the component builds (eg. handlebar widths, stem length, cassette gearing). If Ribble can do this with their 'bike builder' options, and market internationally, there should be a way that the huge guys with their scale could figure it out.
Old 12-06-19, 10:31 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Bike shop happy (extra couple hundred bucks to pay labor for staff they already likely have on payroll). Consumer happy as they can get something closer to exactly what they want. Manufacturer happy as they have differentiated themselves from companies who don't do this, and therefore sell more bikes.
It's not economically viable.

Currently, if you want nicer components you're forced to buy a bike with a higher markup.

With the price broken down into line items for frame, group, wheels, etc. few people are going to pay a four figure markup to get a "nicer" frame saving 200g or in red not blue.

Companies won't be able to make that up on components because it will cost customers less to order frame + cheap throw away components then buy the components they want without the bike company's markup.

More SKUs will increase overhead and sales cost for lower profits.

Would like to see there even being size selection options in the component builds (eg. handlebar widths, stem length, cassette gearing).
While nice, more SKUs reduce profit. That's why all mainstream cranksets are 110mm BCD with triples and standard doubles historic relics. Campagnolo stopped offering cassettes with an 18 cog with the move to 12 speed, and SRAM didn't even sell the 17-18-19 sequence with 10. Campagnolo and Shimano both stopped selling 13T starting cog cassettes with 11 speed, and SRAM didn't with 10..

If Ribble can do this with their 'bike builder' options, and market internationally, there should be a way that the e guys with their scale could figure it out.
Bike companies do much better selling you a nicer bike for $5000 than letting you piece together one on a less expensive frame for $3500, and everyone in their retail chain benefits from the limited SKUs without cassette/crank/stem/bars/etc. options within that level.

Ribble just sells parts with optional assembly. It's a different business model with no sales at low price points and fewer at the top.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-06-19 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-06-19, 11:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt

More SKUs will increase overhead and sales cost for lower profits.
While nice, more SKUs reduce profit.

Bike companies do much better selling you a nicer bike for $5000 than letting you piece together one on a less expensive frame for $3500, and everyone in their retail chain benefits from the limited SKUs without cassette/crank/stem/bars/etc. options within that level.

Ribble just sells parts with optional assembly. It's a different business model with no sales at low price points and fewer at the top.
Actually Ribble seems to very much out of the parts business, and much more into customized bikes. Many of their component options aren't available to buy by themselves.

I'm not convinced there would be more SKUs -- actually I think a lot less. There are I believe like 26 different Domane models on Trek's site. On average each available in 6 sizes and 2-4 color schemes. You can do the math... somewhere about 400-500 SKUs

OTOH, they could have basically 2 frames (SL and SLR) x 6 sizes. 5 Groupset offerings (Tiagra, 105, Ult, Ult Di2, DA Di2?); 3 Cockpit choices; 5 Wheelset Choices. About 25 SKUs. 2 Color choices for frames would go to about 50 SKUs.
Old 12-08-19, 02:58 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Here's my touring bike with WTB 650x47 Byways. Can definitely fit full fenders

Elvo. I saw the photo before it disappeared. What bicycle make/model is it?