Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Essential Tools

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Essential Tools

Old 12-06-19, 10:30 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I have a long-reach caliper from Harbor Freight which is nice for reaching around stuff like hubs and cassettes: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-l...per-63714.html
That is pretty awesome.
Old 12-06-19, 10:48 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I never realized that chain whips came in specific chain sizes. I made my own from used chain off my bike so it fits what I ride,
Old 12-06-19, 11:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I never realized that chain whips came in specific chain sizes. I made my own from used chain off my bike so it fits what I ride,
Chain size shouldn't matter too much. I suppose trying to use a 12 speed chain whip on a 7 speed cluster would be difficult, the opposite shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I prefer the Pedro's Vise Whip to a regular chain whip.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-06-19, 11:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Ah, for that you need a bench, too. This list is getting big!
And a place to keep the bench.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-06-19, 12:34 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
If older loose ball and cup/spindle bottom brackets, then a bottom bracket tool with the correct lockring spanner.

If cartridge bottom bracket bearings, then the Shimano splined tool

If external bottom bracket bearings, then the Park tool for them, and some of those require little plastic insert adapters for the smaller size.

Torque wrench

Breaker bars for the size socket wrench drive(s) you use.

vinyl/latex gloves to protect against chemicals and grease

tub of bearing grease

spray can of lithium grease

Shimano cassette lockring splined tool
Old 12-06-19, 07:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
got to use my vise & angle grinder to modify a new locking hitch pin for my bike rack cuz the tolerances for fit were too tight. needed to grind off less than 1mm to get it to fit inside the tongue that slides into the.receiver tube. a little surprised cuz the last one I had fit into 2 diff. racks. this new one fit an old rack but not the new rack. so I think the Allen rack spec was off a smidge?

is anyone needs one

Let's Go Aero (SHP 2080 1/2" Silent Hitch Pin with Lock

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-06-19 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-06-19, 08:33 PM
diverge52rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I went through the same ordeal. Instead of repeating everything that's been said I tried to plan ahead and buy the tools for the jobs I knew I was going to do so I didn't have to wait long to have them available (i.e. 15mm pedal wrench to replace the cheap stock pedals that come on the bike; a torque wrench for carbon fiber). That may not matter if you have a LBS nearby with everything you need.

If you got the itch to buy stuff, get things you'll need down the road like a chain wear indicator or a valve core tool (for tubeless)...once you start using this stuff you'll find out things like, "Crap! My chain wear indicator doesn't show 0.5% wear" so you'll have to go out and buy another one.
Old 12-06-19, 09:35 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by diverge52rider
I went through the same ordeal. Instead of repeating everything that's been said I tried to plan ahead and buy the tools for the jobs I knew I was going to do so I didn't have to wait long to have them available (i.e. 15mm pedal wrench to replace the cheap stock pedals that come on the bike; a torque wrench for carbon fiber). That may not matter if you have a LBS nearby with everything you need.

If you got the itch to buy stuff, get things you'll need down the road like a chain wear indicator or a valve core tool (for tubeless)...once you start using this stuff you'll find out things like, "Crap! My chain wear indicator doesn't show 0.5% wear" so you'll have to go out and buy another one.
Or, "Crap, my chain wear indicator reads 0.5% on a new chain, so I have to toss it and use a steel rule to get an accurate measurement".
Old 12-06-19, 09:49 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
For a long time,I had no need for tools for pulling and pressing cartridge bearings. But now that I have a frame and hubs with pressed in bearings, I have acquired a good puller and press. DIY versions are viable options.
Old 12-07-19, 09:32 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Imo, The most essential tools are a good pump, lube for the chain, a rag and a set of allen keys. From there on out the most essential tools is the one that fit what ever job you are doing on your particular bike. From my experience 90% of maintenance is related to tyres, cables and the chain.
Old 12-09-19, 01:38 PM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
If you want to do everything, you will need a lot of tolls that aren't bicycle specific. My two cents is that there is no point in buying Park for anything not bicycle specific. Vessel screwdrivers that fit JIS screws. SK or Gearwrench (or Husky or Craftsmen for cheaper stuff) for combination wrenches, ratchets and sockets. Bondhus or any of several others for allen and torx wenches. And don't forget used tools. My favorite cable crimper is a pair of ancient Bell System pliers originally intended for linesman to crimp telephone connectors.
Old 12-09-19, 02:44 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
As an alternative to chain whips I prefer a cog wrench which uses 3 pins to grab the outer 11 or 12 tooth cog in the cassette. These are easier to use but less universal. My cog wrench is a long discontinued Pedro's item with a pedal wrench on the other end which can also save a lot of aggro if you change pedals often.
Old 12-09-19, 02:58 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
If you want the bare minimum to work on your bike, take a good visual inventory of everything that you would need to adjust, replace, repair, etc. Make a basic list of just the tools required for regular maintenance, separating out the ones that might only get used once. For higher priced items like headset and BB presses, bearing pullers, crown race setters etc., I like the idea someone suggested of your local non-profit bike kitchen. We have a great one here in SLO and I was able to borrow $300 worth of Park tools that I would have only used once for $5.00.
Old 12-09-19, 03:46 PM
MikeTé

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Don't buy a tool that you may never use.
Every tool I have has been used for a task and has paid for itself, in many cases many times over.
That being said, some tools can pay for themselves after having been used only once (if you don't screw it up).
Old 12-09-19, 08:17 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
The parks where I live (where all the bike trails are) have a set of tools at a repair station with nice Park tools - and others attached to a cable.

So if I need to do something I don't have a tool for, I just take the bike down to the park and use the tools there.
Likes For TheLizard:
Old 12-11-19, 12:22 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLizard
The parks where I live (where all the bike trails are) have a set of tools at a repair station with nice Park tools - and others attached to a cable.

So if I need to do something I don't have a tool for, I just take the bike down to the park and use the tools there.
Nice!
Old 12-11-19, 07:16 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
A couple of good repair manuals, some can be purchased used on Amazon. Of course it limits usefulness with brand new technology.

Essential in my opinion is a quality bottle of either sour mash bourbon or a single malt scotch. Just remember a little goes a long way LOL!
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 12-12-19, 12:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Professional grade Park work stands are nice, but their consumer grade ones aren't all that great. I like Feedback Sports stands better.

I own a pair of Park FFG-2 which is a bit extreme for a home mechanic, but I get a fair bit of use out of them. It's a dropout and fork tip alignment gauge.

I find myself using regular and needlenose pliers fairly often.

I also use a small (6" or 8") adjustable wrench a fair bit. I know this makes some people cringe, so it's controversial.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-12-19, 09:05 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I also use a small (6" or 8") adjustable wrench a fair bit. I know this makes some people cringe, so it's controversial.
I can’t explain how much I love my 7” Knipex Pliers-wrench. I never use adjustable wrenches anymore. They are big enough for threaded headsets, crank lock rings, spline tools, and suspension fork caps, but still small enough to use on 8mm nuts. Work great on 14 and 15mm nutted axles. Bends sheet metal. Holds parts in the grinder. The grip tightens the harder you turn. Grips a hex key anywhere along the shaft.

They are expensive but extremely well-built. It is hard to understand how useful they are until you put your hands on them.

https://www.kctoolco.com/knipex-86-0...-plastic-grip/
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 12-12-19, 09:52 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I can’t explain how much I love my 7” Knipex Pliers-wrench. I never use adjustable wrenches anymore. They are big enough for threaded headsets, crank lock rings, spline tools, and suspension fork caps, but still small enough to use on 8mm nuts. Work great on 14 and 15mm nutted axles. Bends sheet metal. Holds parts in the grinder. The grip tightens the harder you turn. Grips a hex key anywhere along the shaft.

They are expensive but extremely well-built. It is hard to understand how useful they are until you put your hands on them.

https://www.kctoolco.com/knipex-86-0...-plastic-grip/

I got one of these a few years ago after hearing about it here on BF, but it hasn't made into the top tier,

particularly not replacing this (lighter & less fussy) 6" crescent wrench:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OVV0JA0...ing=UTF8&psc=1

which is a daily carry.

Being left handed doesn't help as the Knipex adjustment is right handed. Would be great for an auto mechanic, 'tho.
Old 12-13-19, 07:33 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I got one of these a few years ago after hearing about it here on BF, but it hasn't made into the top tier,

particularly not replacing this (lighter & less fussy) 6" crescent wrench:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OVV0JA0...ing=UTF8&psc=1

which is a daily carry.

Being left handed doesn't help as the Knipex adjustment is right handed. Would be great for an auto mechanic, 'tho.
I should also add that I volunteer at my local coop and work on a lot of kids bikes with nutted axles, one-piece cranks, and threaded headsets. I don’t use them as much on my own bikes as much as my Allen keys and specialty tools. I would replace them in a heartbeat, and they replace a whole set of combo wrenches in my race/travel toolbox.
Old 12-14-19, 02:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I love working on one-piece cranks, though I've never had one or wanted one for myself.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.