Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Knee Replacement question

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 12-11-19, 01:15 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I'm approaching 60 and am currently needing a knee replacement due to arthritis. I can still ride and manage discomfort with Ibuprofen and occasional cortisone injections 3 times a year.

What I am interested in hearing is, any experience the forum members have with knee replacement and cycling. For example what is the typical recovery time? I want to be able to do a few long distance organized rides in August and Sept. How long of a recovery would you expect based on your experiences. For example if I got the knee replaced in December might I be ready to ride in June? A year after knee replacement where are you in terms of cycling performance.
Old 12-11-19, 03:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
Moved to Pills and Ills.
Old 12-11-19, 03:11 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 119 Posts
I`m going on 67, and was told I needed knee replacement 10 years ago.
Still have my knees. I get a cortisone shot , maybe once every 2 two years, but I get Orthovisc injections in both knees twice a year (series of 3 shots each time).

https://www.anikatherapeutics.com/pr...ics/orthovisc/

Between the shots and riding, I`m hoping to die with my own knees.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 12-11-19, 03:30 PM
Sasquatch16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have had mine for 11 years. If I remember I think I think you should be fine with your timeline. I went to therapy 3 times a week for 3 months and was doing what I wanted by that time. As with any major surgery it seems like it is a full year before you get to the point you don't even think about it.
Old 12-11-19, 07:37 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by TKJava
I'm approaching 60 and am currently needing a knee replacement due to arthritis. I can still ride and manage discomfort with Ibuprofen and occasional cortisone injections 3 times a year.

What I am interested in hearing is, any experience the forum members have with knee replacement and cycling. For example what is the typical recovery time? I want to be able to do a few long distance organized rides in August and Sept. How long of a recovery would you expect based on your experiences. For example if I got the knee replaced in December might I be ready to ride in June? A year after knee replacement where are you in terms of cycling performance.
Informative thread ---

https://www.bikeforums.net/pills-ill...placement.html