Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you do if you see someone closely checking out your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 10:37 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're in a small store, with a glass store front. You're browsing the merchandise when you see someone outside bending over your bike checking it out. You watch them for a while and they continue to look at your bike. What do you do?

This has happened to me once. My bike was locked very well with two locks, so I wasn't really worried that he'd be able to steal it. I still kept him in my sight though. He eventually came into the store and I asked him if he liked what he saw (Don't quite remember what I said, perhaps "Did you like my bike?")

Turns out he was just a bike enthusiast who liked my internal hub. We sat and talked about bikes for a while. But still, I was slightly worried when he was looking at my bike.

What would you do?
Old 04-07-16, 10:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
As someone who has scoped out bikes from time to time, I'd tell you to accept it as an unspoken complement, implying that at the very least your bike is interesting.

OTOH- It may vary from city to city, but here bike thievery is a quick crime of opportunity. Wheels are wheels, and thieves tend to be more interested in good looks, or even color that actual spec. It's about fast turnover and high end bikes don't necessarily sell for much more than clean garden variety bikes.

If anything, a thief would more likely be looking around to see if anyone is interested in him, than at the bike. The guy to worry about isn't the one focused on your bike. It's the guy giving it a quick once over while tying to look nonchalant and uninterested.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-07-16 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 11:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I'll second FB. Those looking at it with real interest and making no attempt to hide that fact are probably the least likely folk to steal it. And yes, it can almost always be construed as a compliment.

You can always go out to chat with the viewer. If is a cyclist, the conversation is often interesting and fun. And it he's a thief, he won't come back for your bike! (He knows he would never survive the police line-up!)

Ben
Old 04-07-16, 11:52 PM
goraman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the time it's just people looking, I do this with old cars, hot rods and motorcycles.

If he is removing parts from your bike, sneak up very very quoit, rabbit punch him in the back of his head knocking him out.
Then with a black Sharpe write Vote for Hillary on his forehead, drag him to the nearest 4X4 truck with big southern flags on it and hand cuff him to the truck hitch.
It's all up to his Karma at that point.

Last edited by goraman; 04-07-16 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 12:04 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by goraman
If he is removing parts from your bike, sneak up very very quoit, rabbit punch him in the back of his head knocking him out.
Then with a black Sharpe write Vote for Hillary on his forehead, drag him to the nearest 4X4 truck with big southern flags on it and hand cuff him to the truck hitch.
Old 04-08-16, 12:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Most of the time it's just people looking, I do this with old cars, hot rods and motorcycles.

Sounds like something that a Trump supporter might do, right? Anything is better than responding to the question the OP asked.
Old 04-08-16, 12:47 AM
goraman

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Sounds like something that a Trump supporter might do, right? Anything is better than responding to the question the OP asked.
I did in the first line.
If more people had just a little Donald Trump in them it would be a safer world.
Read a little Winston Churchill.
Old 04-08-16, 04:40 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Enough with the politics, please.
Old 04-08-16, 05:28 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Back to the original subject. Happens to me all the time. Usually not just one person, though. A group of guys will be walking past and one will stop dead in his tracks, then wave the others back. They'll all stare at it for a minute or two, probably trying to decide what it is or if it's a home-built. Then they'll all wander off, with the first guy to stop being the last one to tear himself away.

Kinda funny, actually.
Old 04-08-16, 05:31 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
As someone who has scoped out bikes from time to time, I'd tell you to accept it as an unspoken complement, implying that at the very least your bike is interesting.
I enjoy looking at interesting bikes when I travel around. Last fall I stayed at a Long Island City hotel, and across the street someone had locked up the precise model and year Gary Fisher bike that I ride as a mountain bike. Distinctive frame coloring, one of my favorite bikes, and was the first time I'd seen another of that same paint job in the wild. I almost knocked on the nearby apartment door just to say "hi" to the owner. But that would be kind of an odd thing, so I just moved on w/my day.
Old 04-08-16, 05:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 15,583 Times in 7,338 Posts
If she's cute I ask for her digits.
Old 04-08-16, 05:50 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Back to the original subject. Happens to me all the time. Usually not just one person, though. A group of guys will be walking past and one will stop dead in his tracks, then wave the others back. They'll all stare at it for a minute or two, probably trying to decide what it is or if it's a home-built. Then they'll all wander off, with the first guy to stop being the last one to tear himself away.

Kinda funny, actually.
Are you talking about one of your bents? Coz I can understand if someone would show such interest.
Old 04-08-16, 05:51 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I did think when the OP posted:

I think you'd run... if the bike was stolen.

Old 04-08-16, 06:37 AM
Roadwanderer

Bikes: 1972 Royce Union 5-Speed

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I saw someone closely checking out my bike, I'd probably feel a little self conscious. It looks like crap, which while being a good theft deterrent, also makes me look like I can't afford a good bike.
Old 04-08-16, 07:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 15,583 Times in 7,338 Posts
People are constantly checking out my road bike because, well, it's super duper good looking. You won't see another one like it.
Old 04-08-16, 07:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd watch him like a hawk and surreptitiously move closer to the door just in case. They're probably just looking.
Old 04-08-16, 08:02 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Happened many times to me. My commuter has an IGH and dynohub and that attracts people because it's not common, they just look at it and ask a few questions, that's all.
Agree about thieves going for looks, they would steal a shiny new crappy MTB over an old steel De Rosa with full Campy NR any day.
Old 04-08-16, 08:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
On a similar topic, do you do anything different when you're checking out another bike? I find myself clasping my hands behind my back when I get within a few feet, just an instinctive thing I do to say with body language, "I'm not going to steal anything, but that is an interesting bike!"

More for bookstore or restaurant looks than major supported bike ride looks. When there's hundreds, or even just dozens, of bikes, I don't feel self-conscious about looking at them.
Old 04-08-16, 09:35 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on the person looking and if they are carrying bolt cutters.
Old 04-08-16, 03:08 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have had this happen when I was at the pool. I just walked over and asked if I could help them. They thought that it was an interesting bike because it has hydraulic rim brakes
Old 04-08-16, 03:23 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
I'd be totally stoked that someone thinks enough of my bike to stop and look it over. Myself, I'm a sucker for Raleighs (even new ones), so I am a moth-to-a-flame, checking out everything on it. That having-been-said, I'd still watch the guy, though, even if just to enjoy his reaction(s).
Old 04-08-16, 04:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've struck up some nice conversations over bicycle gawking, and met a good friend that way.
Old 04-08-16, 05:00 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay...that's excellent and now I got nothin'.
Old 04-08-16, 05:08 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
On a similar topic, do you do anything different when you're checking out another bike? I find myself clasping my hands behind my back when I get within a few feet, just an instinctive thing I do to say with body language, "I'm not going to steal anything, but that is an interesting bike!"

More for bookstore or restaurant looks than major supported bike ride looks. When there's hundreds, or even just dozens, of bikes, I don't feel self-conscious about looking at them.
I do the same thing. The body language equivalent of saying "I'm not touching, I promise!"
Old 04-08-16, 05:19 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Like has already been said - I'd watch them like a hawk, see what their body language tells me. If they linger, they're probably checking it out and liking it. If they look, walk away, then come back and look again, they're probably looking to see how they can steal it. So I'd let a security guard know if there was one, and probably go out to my bike even if I wasn't done shopping or whatever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.