Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool Threadlocker

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Park Tool Threadlocker

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 12:38 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Park Tool Threadlocker

The other day I bought a bottle of Park Tool blue threadlocker that, given my age, is certainly going to be a lifetime supply. I figured this was the same stuff as the usual Loctite products that I've been using for the last 50 years. Then I happened to read the tiny instruction sheet that was attached to it (again, at my age quite an eye test!) and saw where they say that you're supposed to use a "primer" product of theirs first or there's danger of "permanent bonding". Seriously?? Does anyone actually do this, assuming that they read this miniscule document in the first place? Are my bottle cages now "permanently bonded" to my bike?
Old 03-31-22, 01:08 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
I believe they also say that the primer is for Carbon Fiber surfaces. Also says it "Competes with Loctite 242/243" (Maybe even made by Loctite for Park). Use it with no worries.
Old 03-31-22, 08:07 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I have been using Loctite's products for decades, including their threadlockers. Park's threadlockers are almost certainly the same product chemically and perhaps even the same product exactly. If you look at the data sheet for a Park threadlocker, you will see they are methacrylate based, same as loctite's stuff. With loctite products, primers are usually recommended for passive metals, like aluminium ( Australian spelling ) or to speed the cure, and are not essential. I seem to recall some talk of they may reduce the bond strength somewhat ( maybe only on non-passive metals like steel ) but am not sure. Googling with get an answer. Perhaps that is what Park is talking about.

If you are locking metals ( like threads ) and you use an appropriate grade ( usually NOT "263" ( loctite designation ) or similar "high strength", the "red stuff" threadlocker ), my opinion is you won't have a problem at all with no primer use. ( But I can't speak for use on C-fibre.)

You could always email Park and see if you get a satisfactory answer.

https://www.parktool.com/assets/doc/.../TLR-1_SDS.pdf
Old 04-01-22, 06:58 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
... Are my bottle cages now "permanently bonded" to my bike?
If they are a soldering iron held to the bolt head will loosen.