Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Why fight city hall. . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 09:39 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Why fight city hall. . .

. . . when you can be polite, and make a clear, concise and valid point, and get something done?

I have been riding through a certain intersection (located at 33.688448N, 117.832030W) for about two years now. I am traveling Southeastward through this intersection, and about 90% of the time catch it red, and have to stop.

The thing is, the overwhelming majority of cars approaching in the same direction of travel I am taking, turn right from the right lane. The lane is marked for through, or right turn. This has caused a problem for me, since I like to be to the left of right turning traffic. I usually stop between the far right lane, and the second lane. This is rarely a problem. In the two years I have been riding this route an average of at least four days a week, I have encountered cars going straight from this lane fewer than five times. On those occasions, I could tell they were not turning, so I would move out into the cross walk in front of them, and get over to the right as quickly as possible after the light changed. I have not had one go off on me yet.

I explained this situation a couple of weeks ago in an e-mail to the City of Irvine Traffic Engineering Dept. Yesterday I got a call from the engineer thanking me for the info. They did a traffic count at the intersection, and he was blown away by the numbers. They will be restriping the intersection, making the lane in question Right Turn Only.

Hooyeah!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RightTurn.jpg (99.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 04-03-13 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Added Image
Old 04-03-13, 12:25 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yay for you! Good work...
Old 04-03-13, 02:08 PM
idoru2005

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see that's Jamboree Road, but what's the cross street? Sorry, I don't work by GPS coordinates.
Old 04-03-13, 02:36 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Rare thing when kindness and reason win, so it always makes my day. Thanks.
I'm inspired to write to my town about this intersection. The Northbound bike lane just evaporates into what should be a right-turn lane, but on the other end of the intersection, it's expanded to a third lane! I've had one harrowing closecall and half a dozen uncomfortable moments there.
Old 04-03-13, 03:02 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Originally Posted by idoru2005
I can see that's Jamboree Road, but what's the cross street? Sorry, I don't work by GPS coordinates.
Alton
Old 04-03-13, 03:31 PM
CommuteCommando

Originally Posted by calamarichris
. . . The Northbound bike lane just evaporates into what should be a right-turn lane, but on the other end of the intersection, it's expanded to a third lane! I've had one harrowing close call and half a dozen uncomfortable moments there.
Know it, back in the eighties I worked for a company called Eaton Leonard half a block north on the left.

Situation at Alton and Jamboree is potentially similar, according to the guy in traffic I spoke to. He was rather concerned about the third lane starting on the other side of the intersection. In the Carlsbad case, It looks like they did a standard “dash the bike lane divider” which allows cars and bikes to change lanes to get out of each others way when the cars turn right. The problem is that the road widens as if it were intended to be part of the transition to three lanes. This is common practice in intersection design to not transition the number of lanes in the middle of an intersection.

I’ve had experience in the past working with traffic engineers (designing stores for a major un-named chain of convenience stores<Gulp>) I have seen the codes that they must follow, and there is often a lot of voodoo they must do to get things to work. One thing they used to do, and it made a lot of sense was to actually mark a bike lane to the left of a right turn pocket. This sounds like it would be the best solution to this problem. This has changed and I recently rode through an intersection where such markings had actually been removed (Lake Forrest, I think, but not sure)

The bad thing is that the road design manuals are developed using a combination of reason, and practice. I suspect that traffic studies showed a large number of Wallies not using the through bike lanes, so they are being eliminated

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 04-03-13 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 11:14 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I cut through this part of Irvine after riding Santiago Canyon Road. I used to ride exactly where your photo shows.
Now Harvard is the better choice as long as there is an option.

Glad to know that you got this done and maybe I will go back to Jamboree more often.

I have sent emails to Irvine Public Works about Landscapers dropping razor blades and box cutters on Culver. They responded
but never acknowledged my claim or offered to make an effort to correct the problem.

Last edited by marquhar; 04-03-13 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 05:47 AM
CommuteCommando

Originally Posted by marquhar
I cut through this part of Irvine after riding Santiago Canyon Road. I used to ride exactly where your photo shows.
Now Harvard is the better choice as long as there is an option.

Glad to know that you got this done and maybe I will go back to Jamboree more often.

I have sent emails to Irvine Public Works about Landscapers dropping razor blades and box cutters on Culver. They responded
but never acknowledged my claim or offered to make an effort to correct the problem.
About a block and a half beyond this intersection I turn onto a MUP that goes behind Irvine Civic Center, then turn left onto Harvard; Bike lane and fairly good (mostly green) traffic signals all the way to the Tustin Metrolink. Sometimes I continue on the trail past Harvard all the way to Irvine Spectrum, near the 5/405 junction, then Barranca to Irvine Station, or now that the days are getting longer, points south.

I have looked as some rankings of cities for "bike friendliness", and am always amazed how low Irvine ranks. Most of these rankings are based on data from public records. If these guys actually rode, the towns they were rating Irvine would score much higher.

Funny thing about blades on Culver (and Walnut), I have ridden that area a few times on side trips to Jax or Trader Joes, and have seen box cutter blades too. I once flatted three times on one ride in that area. From experience working with city governments, communication between departments is not always great.
Old 04-05-13, 09:29 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Rare thing when kindness and reason win, so it always makes my day. Thanks.
I'm inspired to write to my town about this intersection. The Northbound bike lane just evaporates into what should be a right-turn lane, but on the other end of the intersection, it's expanded to a third lane! I've had one harrowing closecall and half a dozen uncomfortable moments there.
Carlsbad is in the process of adding or expanding bike lanes when they resurface the roads. You should let them know about the problem.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 04-26-13, 01:35 PM
lesiz
Flat Ire

Bikes: Trek 1100, DeRosa Idol

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Sorry, I don't work by GPS coordinates. "
Just copy and paste the coordinates into Google maps. Works great.
Old 04-26-13, 06:31 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I just coppied the coordinates into the brwser search line and the map popped up.
Old 04-27-13, 03:38 PM
Vinnems

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Congrats! I wish I had your luck. I've been trying to get the bike path here in Simi Valley changed in a multitude of ways. From simply opening the gates to asking them to actually finish the path. I'm just hanging out on unemployment so every once in a while I'll just write them a letter. Get generic replies back. I don't know, I guess it's more important to the city to build malls no one shops in. I can't really blame the city for ignoring me, though. It's not like I actually spend any money here outside of my house costs.
Old 04-28-13, 06:32 AM
CommuteCommando

Originally Posted by Vinnems
. . . every once in a while I'll just write them a letter. Get generic replies back. I don't know, I guess it's more important to the city to build malls no one shops in. . .
Real World Civics 101. Sometimes you win, most times you get the "go away, leeetle man" treatment. I had such experiences in the past dealing with the transit agencies in both LA and SD.
Old 04-28-13, 08:23 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinnems
Congrats! I wish I had your luck. I've been trying to get the bike path here in Simi Valley changed in a multitude of ways. From simply opening the gates to asking them to actually finish the path. I'm just hanging out on unemployment so every once in a while I'll just write them a letter. Get generic replies back. I don't know, I guess it's more important to the city to build malls no one shops in. I can't really blame the city for ignoring me, though. It's not like I actually spend any money here outside of my house costs.
Consider attending the next City Planning Council meeting and give your 5-miinutes worth at the public speaking session. You might want to make up a few packets of pictures, etc. to hand out to the Planning Council members. Worth a try, since letters are being ignored.