Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How far do you drive to your starting point?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 12:09 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Since I have no car, most of my rides originate at my doorstep. But sometimes I take the bus downtown and begin the ride from there.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-19-13, 11:45 AM
bhtooefr

Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2003 Sun EZ-Sport Limited, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8, 2018 Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I typically start in my apartment's parking lot.

When I had a 50 mile one way commute, I occasionally did the last seven miles by bike, so that counts as 43 miles I guess.

Longest I've driven then ridden was about 900 miles, but it was more driving to an event and grabbing the folding bike for a ride while I was there.
Old 11-19-13, 11:56 AM
john.b

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yesterday I spent just under 5 hrs in the car for just over 3 hrs of cycling. kinda weird
Not as weird as a three year old necropost.
Old 11-19-13, 01:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
what was once popular, is again ...
Old 11-19-13, 02:26 PM
RWBlue01

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
what was once popular, is again ...
It was good to see how much things have changed.

I drove 10+ hours one way to put my feel on some new trail.
Old 11-19-13, 05:19 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
During the week I drive about 19 miles out of my way to stop at the bike trail. My drive is 20 miles but I drive 30 miles to the bike trail, then 9 miles home after my ride. Wow, I didn't realize it was that far out of the way. There's another trail 2 miles from work. It's not as nice, but does get me a bit more elevation change to climb rather than the dead flat trail near home. I rode it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot (didn't enjoy it so much the first time I rode it because it was early in my start to riding and the long 2% climbing killed me, LOL.)

Weekends I like to explore all the rails to trails. I want to run that same trail near work but start on the other end so it was all uphill for the first half and all downhill for the 2nd half which would leave me with driving 39 miles to the trail head.

The other 2 trails I ridden was 28 miles and 30 miles away. I typically ride the one that is 9 miles away on weekends also, same one that I go to after work.

Roads are just too narrow, too blind to traffic, traffic too fast, and too much constant up and down hills with no flat whatsoever for my liking. Even if the hills were nice long climbs it wouldn't be too bad, but the are a constant 6-8% grades up and down for 1/8-1/4 mile at a time at most. Not enough for a nice easy downhill break from the climbing so it is more like constant climbing at 6-8% with 5 second breaks every 10 minutes. I would love to be able to just take off from my driveway.

Last edited by mrodgers; 11-19-13 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 05:24 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Sometimes you don't have much choice but to drive if you want to ride on country roads. In some cities, it is a heck of a long ride to get out of town or maybe the roads to get out of town are just too dangerous. I grew up in a city like that (New Orleans). I feel fortunate to live in a city that has a first rate system of MUPs and it is easy as pie to ride out of town (Des Moines).
Old 11-19-13, 06:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Lately it seems like I've been starting out my door and finishing with a phone call for a rescue of my broken-down bike.
Old 11-19-13, 10:20 PM
RWBlue01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
too much constant up and down hills with no flat whatsoever for my liking. Even if the hills were nice long climbs it wouldn't be too bad, but the are a constant 6-8% grades up and down for 1/8-1/4 mile at a time at most. Not enough for a nice easy downhill break from the climbing so it is more like constant climbing at 6-8% with 5 second breaks every 10 minutes. I would love to be able to just take off from my driveway.
Sounds like muscle building rides.
Old 11-20-13, 06:29 AM
mrodgers

Originally Posted by RWBlue01
Sounds like muscle building rides.
Not on my crappy bike. Can't put too much torque on the pedals or the chain starts jumping around. Next year when I replace the 8 year old Walmart bike, I may take to riding some roads around home from the house.
Old 11-20-13, 12:14 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Like Mrodgers, I live in Western PA. I prefer not to road-ride and live at the top of hill with a long climb, so I drive about 5 miles to the trail-head to ride the Heritage Trails around the city. Then I can ride my 15 or 20 miles loop and head back home. Even if I decided to ride form home, there is no connection between where I live and where I prefer to ride other than a 4 lane limited access highway (Rt. 28) or trespassing on railroad property along the river.
Old 11-20-13, 02:51 PM
mrodgers

Originally Posted by Altair 4
...other than a 4 lane limited access highway (Rt. 28) or trespassing on railroad property along the river.
You could always ride Rt. 28 at 4 pm. No chance of getting hit by cars while they just sit at a stand still, LOL. I worked at Heinz for an internship for 6 months years ago. The first week I drove Rt.8 to 28 from Butler until I realized that Heinz was just a block from 279. Crazy traffic there on 28 in the mornings and afternoons.

OT but funny story for you, I started out in life on Fallowfield Ave in Beechview 41 years ago up to age 8 when we moved to Butler. I was car shopping in Wexford and driving further towards Pittsburgh. I was heading to Rohrich Toyota I think on 51 when I saw Fallowfield Ave. I was in a million mile Honda Civic that barely ran. I decided to drive up Fallowfield to the old house. My poor Civic barely slogged up the hill. Later when I got home, channel 13 was showing a recording of the Pittsburgh bike race where they find all the biggest hills in the 'Burgh and race them. Sure enough, there they are on Fallowfield Ave just cruising right up while I was just there hours earlier and almost didn't make it in my Civic, LOL.
Old 11-20-13, 04:48 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
You could always ride Rt. 28 at 4 pm. No chance of getting hit by cars while they just sit at a stand still, LOL. I worked at Heinz for an internship for 6 months years ago. The first week I drove Rt.8 to 28 from Butler until I realized that Heinz was just a block from 279. Crazy traffic there on 28 in the mornings and afternoons.

OT but funny story for you, I started out in life on Fallowfield Ave in Beechview 41 years ago up to age 8 when we moved to Butler. I was car shopping in Wexford and driving further towards Pittsburgh. I was heading to Rohrich Toyota I think on 51 when I saw Fallowfield Ave. I was in a million mile Honda Civic that barely ran. I decided to drive up Fallowfield to the old house. My poor Civic barely slogged up the hill. Later when I got home, channel 13 was showing a recording of the Pittsburgh bike race where they find all the biggest hills in the 'Burgh and race them. Sure enough, there they are on Fallowfield Ave just cruising right up while I was just there hours earlier and almost didn't make it in my Civic, LOL.
Rt. 28 is getting better with the new interchanges and the elimination of the lights, so I can pretty much shoot right down to the Millvale exit to get to the trail inbound after work. I'm tempted to ride the railroad right-of-way to get from Sharpsburg to Millvale, but my hyper-developed sense of doing the right thing keeps getting in the way.

Good story about Fallowfield and the Dirty Dozen race! Last year I took my 11 year to watch them climb one of the first few hills to cheer on the riders - she thought it was great as we stood in gently falling flurries with this mass of people streaming (and steaming) up Ravine Street out of Sharpsburg. I need to find a cowbell or jingle bells to ring this year. The race is set for the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-13, 12:05 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
There are good rides about 45 to 60 minutes from my house - and I drive three or four times per year for these. One area is Middleburg, home to fox hunts, wineries, and old political money. Lots of steep and rolling hills, country roads and fabulous vistas - worth the drive.

Another is across the Potomac up in Frederick County, MD. There, you can get some really nasty climbs and long straight roads.

So, while most rides begin from my door, there are occasions where I'll drive to ride. Time is usually the limiting factor, though.

Two mountain bike destinations that are worth the drive for me are Fountainhead (40 minutes) and Fair Hill (Cecil Co, MD) (2 hours). They are both at the upper echelon of singletrack fun around here.
Old 11-21-13, 02:12 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Driving is still lame but I seem to be doing it more and more. My team rides are exhausting, 17 miles away, and I have three kids and an exhausted wife I need to get back to. Races are all over the state and with cross I have issues carrying my extra gear on my back.
A majority of my training rides are still from my house.
Old 11-30-14, 05:17 AM
Davey62

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale 300, 2005 Motobecane 300HT,2008 Schwinn Trailway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would I drive when I have a bike?
Old 11-30-14, 04:29 PM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found there are places I enjoy exploring by bicycle which are too far to ride to, so I don't get people who dismiss the idea of driving to ride. But to each his own. On weekdays I ride from home but on weekends I drive sometimes, usually within a hour. I've gone further away for rallies and for a mini solo tour.
Old 12-01-14, 03:02 AM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't loaded my bike on a car in years. I just don't have time to go on bike adventures anymore. Hummm..I just need a baby sitter!
Old 12-01-14, 09:12 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on the ride. I drove to three rides this holiday weekend. 1 road and 2 mountain bike. 350 miles driving to ride 87 miles. I figure my bike got 4 miles per gallon this weekend
Old 12-01-14, 01:42 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I bike.
Old 12-01-14, 01:52 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Driving to a bike ride is like trying to lose weight by eating the kids meal at McDonald's: Will it work? Yes, but it's still a dumb idea. When you want to ride, ride; otherwise just stay home. Unless you are attending an organized ride at a distant location that starts at dawn, there is no excuse.
Old 12-01-14, 03:04 PM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Driving to a bike ride is like trying to lose weight by eating the kids meal at McDonald's: Will it work? Yes, but it's still a dumb idea. When you want to ride, ride; otherwise just stay home. Unless you are attending an organized ride at a distant location that starts at dawn, there is no excuse.
With all due respect, that's silly. Why shouldn't I go ride somewhere besides my house if I want to? Why do I need an excuse?
Old 12-01-14, 05:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Local riding always starts from home. Event rides and speciality rides like the Midwest recumbent rally are of course driven to.
Old 12-01-14, 07:11 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RWBlue01
I use to live where I would start off from home and ride the same trail/route every time.

Now I find myself driving farther and farther looking for a new spot to ride/explore.

I very seldom drive anywhere to bike, I prefer to ride from my house and I always try to find a different route or place to ride to. The only time I drive to a spot to ride is when I go downtown Detroit to ride the critical mass.
Old 12-01-14, 07:14 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
... all start and end from my garage.
^ +1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.