Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cheap sleeping bag recommendations

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cheap sleeping bag recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 02:53 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have an Aegismax quilt and it's pretty good. This would do the trick: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AEGI...194832d1A4Olrb

Make sure you choose the large one. You also need a decent pad, something with a R value around 3 or more. I use a winter pad and it makes a huge difference when the ground is cold. Klymit pads are cheaper than most, or a pad from China: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JR-G...ceBeautifyAB=0

Last edited by Erick L; 02-07-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 03:11 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I have an -5 Celcius bag and I only use it for zero to 15 degree C. Have used it below zero , but am a cold sleep and although not cold that night I was cool. It is an synthetic Palm passport by - I can't remember, but as I am tall, the top of my shoulders stick out and my head just does not fit in hood, and it was the largest size I could get at 200cm long. Now for colder nights I wear my down U/L jacket or fleece top. I occasionally have my dog in the bag with me. He has a kids sleeping half bag as well. Cost is the reason why I didn't buy a good down sleeping bag as well as I am not interest in bags that do live plucking of geese and ducks.
Old 02-08-18, 10:02 AM
hazben1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey folks thanks for the replies and links. You'll have just about changed my mind (which is rare) and convinced me to up my budget to $150. Although I do like the Aegismax bag for under $100.

A few questions.
Is the main advantage of a mummy its slightly warmer and lighter? I am concerned it may be too restrictive for a bigger guy (250LBS).

I assume down is better than synthetic fiber? They do seem to run lighter.

If I am sleeping in a 20 degree bag and overnight low is only 55 degrees I just leave it partially unzipped to vent?

I do have a 4" thick self inflating pad which insulates me from the ground very well.
Old 02-08-18, 10:48 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Down is usually warmer and lighter, sucks when it gets wet though. Syn seems to be more durable in variety of climates.
Old 02-08-18, 01:54 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hazben1
Is the main advantage of a mummy its slightly warmer and lighter? I am concerned it may be too restrictive for a bigger guy (250LBS).
Check the shoulder girth. I'm about the same weight and a 64" shoulder girth is enough for me. Many bags have long versions that have greater shoulder room.

I assume down is better than synthetic fiber? They do seem to run lighter.
"better" is subjective, but down is lighter and more compressible, which were two of your objectives.

If I am sleeping in a 20 degree bag and overnight low is only 55 degrees I just leave it partially unzipped to vent?
That's what I do. You can also unzip it all the way and use it like a quilt (tuck head part in).

I do have a 4" thick self inflating pad which insulates me from the ground very well.
Yup.

+1 for those suggesting EN rated bags.

Amazon has a 30 degree down bag (long) for $116. EN Rated 15/36 which stand for survive temp/women's comfort temp. I have a different Sierra Designs bag and love it.

I can't post URLs because I'm new to the forum, but

Search for: Sierra Designs Zissou Plus 30 Degree Down Sleeping Bag
Old 02-09-18, 11:26 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you'll have any knowledge or experience with Hyke & Byke sleeping bags? They have a good number of positive reviews.

Considering this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Mu...e+sleeping+bag
Old 02-09-18, 12:53 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you'll have any knowledge or experience with Hyke & Byke sleeping bags? They have a good number of positive reviews.

Considering this one.
I know nothing about those bags. I suspect a Chinese maker. While they have good ratings, this phrase from the description is concerning ...

Extreme Limit is 15 Degrees F, Lower Limit (men) is 30 Degrees F, and Comfort Limit (women) is 50 Degrees F.
Those numbers are all over the place and the 15 number is likely manufacturer hype. The 30-50 numbers are probably closer to reality. I think your initial requirement was 30 degrees, so it might work for you.
Old 02-09-18, 08:31 PM
PB7

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Considering this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Mu...e+sleeping+bag
I read the critical reviews (1-3 stars), and would look elsewhere. Zipper design looks flawed. Zippers that get stuck a lot can be frustrating and unpleasant. The outer material sounds cheap. Quality control is often difficult when you're having cheap manufacturing done in China.

Down and feathers... not so great.

They talk about responsibly sourcing said down and feathers. No cruelty involved, only killing....

Why does the founder (or the others involved) not give his last name? Most upstanding companies are glad to do so.

The odors people complain about may be from previously used down and feathers.

Good companies that have made sleeping bags for many more years have usually learned, in part through customer feedback and subsequent improvements, to design better products.

You might consider keeping an eye out for lightly used bags from companies like The North Face, Sierra Designs, Marmot, Western Mountaineering, etc. Or saving up/working a little extra, to buy new. The quality will be much better.
Old 02-11-18, 02:52 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Military Surplus.
Yep, the newer synthetic bags are pretty decent, especially with the Gore-Tex bivy. Just make sure you get the heavier of the 2 bags, in the modular system, that one's rated for like 0 or -10 by itself. The thinner one is kinda decent for Summer, but not Winter.
Old 02-22-18, 02:29 PM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE. After researching sleeping bags on several hiking forums and reading many reviews I decided to go with a Hyke & Byke Eolus 800 15 degree bag. It had a bunch of good reviews but more importantly the folks on the hiking forum who at times were using them sometimes 15-20 days a month felt it was an excellent bag for the money. Not quite as good as those $400-500 bags but still very good.

It was actually $10 cheaper on the Hyke & Byke website versus Amazon and still had free shipping. I also got a $15 off first order coupon. Which put the bag at $135 delivered. After I have plenty of nights use I will try to come back and update my thoughts on the bag.

Thanks again for those who gave me insights.
Old 02-25-18, 03:22 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
One of the hardest lessons in life is to buy once and buy right.
It only costs more to buy wrong, throw away and have to buy again.
Don't settle for anything less than great when it comes to comfort in the field.
Nothing worse than being cold/wet so don't skimp on warm/light sleeping bag and a tent that will handle some "weather".
Not quite as important if the nights are permanently warm and dry where you live, but I'm yet to find somewhere like that despite having lived in numerous countries.
Agreed 100% Better to tour with some comfort than not at all. Good sleeps are important while touring. Same with preventive maintenance: replace parts before they break - that includes cables, chains and tires.

S**t happens when touring often enough. Why provoke Murphy unnecessarily. If you cannot afford to buy the needed parts, wait a year, save your money and THEN replace the parts and equipment with good quality items and go touring. Otherwise misery lurks nearby.....

Last edited by tmac100; 03-06-18 at 12:07 AM.