Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Blizzard For the North East

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 06:03 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts

I saw on the news tonight that a major Blizzard will hit the North East Monday or Tues. Our thoughts and prayers are with you folks. If anyone from that area could tell the list how bad it is, please let us know. (Ok, here in Boulder it was 70 F and Sunny. Talk about messed up weather!)
Old 01-26-15, 06:25 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
So far it's not bad but the worst is yet to come so we'll see. I can't deal with all the hype about storms nowadays so I haven't been following much; it's the Northeast and snow isn't a freak event so sometimes I wonder why everyone here panics as if we were Hawaii suddenly getting snow.
Old 01-26-15, 07:06 PM
Crawford53

Bikes: 1994 Barracuda A2E, 1991 Specialized Rockhopper, 1993 Marin Bear Valley, 1995 Nishiki Cascade, 1970 Raleigh Sports (project)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pretty windy in Northampton tonight, the snow seems to be very light but consistent. The real trouble for bikes with this weather is the low visibility, intense ice coverage on the roads and wind speeds (at least so far). I'll be snug indoors the next day or so as its my day off but I feel for the commuters up here who don't have that luxury. Normally I'm not a storm panicker, but with a pretty much confirmed and inevitable 18-30in up here, I'm a bit concerned.
Old 01-27-15, 12:13 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The streets are empty and it's still coming down at 1:12 in the morning. We have a travel ban with all the bridges and tunnels into New York City are closed. All buses and trains are suspended so all you can do is spend the day posting on Bike Forums. ;-)
Old 01-27-15, 05:54 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
In Nassau County, Long Island, we've reportedly had about 14" as of 7am Tuesday morning, but it looks like about half of that. Suffolk County (to our east) has had closer to 20". I've been in major Colorado snow storms and this is nothing like it. No chance of biking to work today, but it's not the "historical" storm they were all yelling about.
Old 01-27-15, 06:24 AM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am in the 5 to 18 zone and we now have 1/2 inch. The NYC news gave us the 5 to 18 but noaa said 1 to 5.
Old 01-27-15, 07:22 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Currently in the 2-3' zone, Newburyport MA, stranded here overnight. MA radio says there's a complete riving ban in Boston. Cant tell how much snow is actually down due to drifting -- there are still some bare spots here and there; in other places, like stairs, the lee side is buried up to the landing, about 5'. Currently still coming down heavily and blowing around.
Old 01-27-15, 08:09 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Frankie has given his warning.
https://youtu.be/P6qOH_xXtfM
Old 01-27-15, 08:17 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This storm was a big let down. First they said 5-8", then 3-5", then 1-3". We ended up getting about 2" here in PA. I hear Philly got even less.
Old 01-27-15, 08:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
New York was shut down for two inches of snow?
Old 01-27-15, 08:38 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Evidently the storm tracked a bit further east than predicted, right into my wheelhouse. We're looking at over 2 feet now with heavy snow still falling.
Old 01-27-15, 09:02 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6241 Post(s)
Liked 4,250 Times in 2,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
(Ok, here in Boulder it was 70 F and Sunny. Talk about messed up weather!)
How can you make that statement as a "Colorado Kid"? The current weather is not abnormal...for Colorado. Going from 60°F to -15°F in 24 hours in November is but having 65° to 70° F weather in January is common. The wind patterns shift in late January with more wind coming from the southwest instead of the northwest. It's setting us up for the Albuquerque lows that bring our big snows in March, April and May (maybe June)
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-27-15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 09:22 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

We were forecast to get 26 inches. There's maybe 4 on the ground.

- Andy
Old 01-27-15, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
looking at the News Last night VT & ME were not highlighted as emergency I suppose Its Just another winter storm to them ..

there were a few stories of the CYA nature of the politics of the warnings .. using Mayor Lindsey as the what not to do example.

better to me underwhelmed ..
Old 01-27-15, 09:51 AM
Crawford53

Bikes: 1994 Barracuda A2E, 1991 Specialized Rockhopper, 1993 Marin Bear Valley, 1995 Nishiki Cascade, 1970 Raleigh Sports (project)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by otg
Evidently the storm tracked a bit further east than predicted, right into my wheelhouse. We're looking at over 2 feet now with heavy snow still falling.
That's what I've seen. SE CT has been slammed since last night. I took a trip up to northampton on Sunday night but from what my family (in SE ct) has said they still are getting slammed. The storm is effectively traveling up the I-395 corridor. PA, NJ and most of NY were spared the original pathof the storm.
Old 01-27-15, 02:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5859 Post(s)
Liked 2,699 Times in 1,507 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
New York was shut down for two inches of snow?
The Central Park totals were nearer 8" but the shutdown started late last night in advance of the wors of the storm and were based on a predicted 12-18". As so often happen the storm wobbled east a bit so the worst of was felt on the eastern end of Long Island, and points East, like Cape Cod.

I have mixed feelings about the level of emergency shutdowns, but a major benefit is less secondary damage to our rail systems, and a faster more effective clean up. It also pays to consider that a much smaller percentage of private vehicles these days have snow tires, and the so-called all weather tires people use simply don't cut it in snow over an inch or so.

BITD NY approached things differently leaving roads open, but assessing a hefty fine for anyone stalled on a snowy roadway without snow tires.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-27-15, 06:07 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
It's not completely ridiculous here...I managed to ride about 6 miles around Malden, MA, to see what my commute route looks like. Bike paths weren't cleared yet, and the main roads were iffy at best. A good portion of my street doesn't look like it's been plowed in a few hours.

Entrance to Wellington Greenway bike path (this is as far as I made it before turning around)

Wellington T station parking lot

Emergency vehicles responding to a call at the building next to the Malden DPW

Death Before Rollers! (Bell Rock Cemetery)

I got a guy walking his dog to take a picture when I got back to my house
Old 01-27-15, 06:35 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Slogged it through twelve inches this morning, mostly plowed but not all...packed ruts covered over with flat powder sure is tough to get through! Going home at 3 was way worse, had to walk the unplowed sections and dabbed a lot on the plowed road. The unplowed driveway was waist deep! Came up to the handlebars. I've seen deep snow before, but it still is amazing to me to see so much on the ground.
Old 01-27-15, 07:44 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Ok, I admit it, it was me. I took my studded tires off over the weekend, I am pretty sure that was the cause of the poor weather.
Old 01-27-15, 08:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5859 Post(s)
Liked 2,699 Times in 1,507 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Ok, I admit it, it was me. I took my studded tires off over the weekend, I am pretty sure that was the cause of the poor weather.
I doubt that your tire change in Kansas would affect weather in the northeast. OTOH someone in NYC or northern Jersey must have scrambled and mounted his studs late last night, because the storm wobbled east just enough to spare us the worst of it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-28-15, 08:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I saw on the news tonight that a major Blizzard will hit the North East Monday or Tues. Our thoughts and prayers are with you folks. If anyone from that area could tell the list how bad it is, please let us know. (Ok, here in Boulder it was 70 F and Sunny. Talk about messed up weather!)
Thanks for asking. FYA, I posted this to our local discussion thread, "Metro Boston, Good ride today?"

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The family would not let me cycle Tuesday or today, though IMO, my winter mountain bike with the Marathon Winter studded tires was ideal for these cirumstances. If interested see my photoessay on this Commuting Forum thread, "Metrowest Boston, who's riding Tuesday?
Old 01-29-15, 02:04 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
We have not gotten a proper blizzard here since 96 and that was not a real blizzard, just heavy snowfall. Last feb's ice storm though........ that was extremely unprecedented.

- Andy