Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clyde ride 340

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 09:36 PM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clyde ride 340

I've ridden 8 bikes so far in the last week or so, and have liked three of them. The 'low' is a Raleigh Misceo 2.0 at 500, middle is a CL find, a Jamis Aurora for 600, with some upgrades, and high is a bike from one of the LBS that handles boutique and roadies, mostly, an Urban Xtreme KHS at Mark 869.00 ish. The Jamis was just full tuned and trued by the guy that owns the shop with the Urban, and the bike owned by a guy that lives in doctor Ville. It's a creme Ville and I don't know the year but it's in great shape and low miles.

I've ridden all three, like all three and can spend on the Urban if it's the better bike. They all fit, other than bits and pieces like grips or stock saddles. I'm an urban/paved trail rider, in Lincoln Ne. Which it's three better overall bike fit the cost listed? The Jamis chimes with no support, while the other two have lifetime adjustments.

Im 340, with a dismal inseam of 29.

JAMIS https://lincoln.craigslist.org/bik/5017995531.html

KHS https://khsbicycles.com/bikes/urban-xtreme-15/

https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-city-commute-misceo-2

Last edited by Alathea; 05-20-15 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 11:01 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 84 Posts
The Raleigh seems the best value of the three you listed. The other two do not seem to have any better groupset than it. Which includes the shifters, front crankset (front gears) and deraileurs.
Old 05-21-15, 08:17 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
The Raleigh seems the best value of the three you listed. The other two do not seem to have any better groupset than it. Which includes the shifters, front crankset (front gears) and deraileurs.
Agreed. Lifetime adjustments for a Clyde can be a big deal with the wheels. The main reason to get a CL bike is that it is less expensive than a new bike.

The KHS and the Raleigh both the same range of 8-speeds, but the Raleigh has a triple crank in the front with a better granny gear than the KHS. Both the Raleigh and the KHS have 32/32 spokes on the wheels.

At almost half the price, the Raleigh looks like a much better value than the other 2.

Just make sure that the shop that you buy from does a basic fit for you on the bike. And ask them to make sure that the spoke tension is consistent for the wheels.

GH
Old 05-21-15, 08:26 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I wouldn't go for the Raleigh because it has flat bars. That's just me maybe, but I believe if you're going to get into cycling, you're going to want drop bars in the future, so you'd be saving yourself needing to buy another bike in 12 months time by getting one with drops.

The Jamis Aurora is a very nice bike, I have a friend who rides one and he likes it. It's a little heavy due to it's lower end Chromoly frame (Reynolds 520 is basically standard 4130 Chromoly). However, I would say that the biggest issue with it I would say are the cantilever brakes, which can be finicky to dial in. That said I rode a bike with cantis for 2500 miles last year, and had few issues.

I have no real opinion of the KHS. It has disc brakes, which if you plan on downhilling in the rain a lot, will definitely be better than cantis.
Old 05-21-15, 08:36 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GOod points. I rode the Misceo and felt like I was going to break it- it feels really 'light' compared to the Urban and the Jamis (even being steel). Reading here, steel is something I looked for and found in the Jamis- I just dont want to worry about the alloy 6061 frame down the road. Maybe I worry too much.

I talked to the Urban dealer in town and he says he may have an Urban X he can build up. Its got 36 spk wheels. Im wondering, since I liked the upper end of that family if the 36spk wheel is enough of a benefit at the 589 he quoted me to consider it, too. HE did quote me a custom build, but I don't have the 1100 for a 'basic' build and frame that he charges. *gulp* I plan on replacing the saddle with a Brooks and the grips with Ergons at some point soon.

Last edited by Alathea; 05-21-15 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 08:50 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by Alathea
GOod points. I rode the Misceo and felt like I was going to break it- it feels really 'light' compared to the Urban and the Jamis (even being steel). Reading here, steel is something I looked for and found in the Jamis- I just dont want to worry about the alloy 6061 frame down the road. Maybe I worry too much.
Even though I'm a guy who prefers steel frames on bikes for various reasons (comfort and aesthetics being amongst them), I wouldn't worry too much about breaking an aluminum frame.
Old 05-21-15, 08:52 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I like the Jamis, but wonder about the price. It is a 2009 model that sold new for $1,000. And as far as I can tell, it is stock down to original tires and brake pads. I would make an offer on it.

I wouldn't worry about cantilever brakes. I have that identical brake on my Salsa Casseroll, though I did upgrade the pads
Old 05-21-15, 08:54 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I talked to the Urban dealer in town and he says he may have an Urban X he can build up. Its got 36 spk wheels. Im wondering, since I liked the upper end of that family if the 36spk wheel is enough of a benefit at the 589 he quoted me to consider it, too. HE did quote me a custom build, but I don't have the 1100 for a 'basic' build and frame that he charges. *gulp* I plan on replacing the saddle with a Brooks and the grips with Ergons at some point soon.
Comfort and fit are the best guides to buying a bike. It sounded above, like you liked the ride of all 3 equally. If you don't really like how the Raleigh rides, then eliminate it.

Does one of the bikes excite you about biking? If one of them does that more than the others, then get that bike. Don't over-analyze too much. Go back and ride the 2-3 bikes that you liked the most.

If you can only narrow it down to 2, then flip a coin. While the coin is in the air, if you're hoping that the coin lands in favor of one specific bike then get that one. If you're neutral, then buy the way the coin decides.

GH
Old 05-21-15, 08:57 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I too think the Jamis is the best of the three, and probably worth the extra $100 over the considerably lower end Raleigh.

Although all three bikes should be decent and, if they all fit, you will not be disappointed no matter which you chose.
Old 05-21-15, 09:07 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I try to avoid looking at the prices if at all possible just so I don't get caught in the marketing blitz. I wont get lifetime tuneups with the Jamis, and it is mostly stock except for the safety brakes on the bars, and the road bar. If its the better frame and bike overall is what im looking for but it sounds like all of them are pretty much in the same family all the way around. Im going to look at the KHS Urban since I liked its big brother so much.

I liked the way the Raleigh rode, I just wasn't used to the frame 'feel'. Im coming from a 2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport 29 with 700cc tires, Brooks, and Ergon grips that I added later. It was heavier than all of these.

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I too think the Jamis is the best of the three, and probably worth the extra $100 over the considerably lower end Raleigh.

Although all three bikes should be decent and, if they all fit, you will not be disappointed no matter which you chose.
Old 05-21-15, 09:16 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I try to avoid looking at the prices if at all possible just so I don't get caught in the marketing blitz. I wont get lifetime tuneups with the Jamis, and it is mostly stock except for the safety brakes on the bars, and the road bar. If its the better frame and bike overall is what im looking for but it sounds like all of them are pretty much in the same family all the way around. Im going to look at the KHS Urban since I liked its big brother so much.

I liked the way the Raleigh rode, I just wasn't used to the frame 'feel'. Im coming from a 2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport 29 with 700cc tires, Brooks, and Ergon grips that I added later. It was heavier than all of these.
nope. The extra brake levers were stock that year.

Don't worry about lifetime tuneups. What they are talking about is very basic adjustments that you can and should learn to do yourself, not major overhauls or replacing worn parts. For sure that will cost you.

I would offer $500 cash and see if they take it. I think that is fair for a low mileage 6 year old bike with stock everything.
Old 05-21-15, 09:18 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Im coming from a 2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport 29 with 700cc tires, Brooks, and Ergon grips that I added later.
All are good bikes, so as long as it fits, whatever you get will be good.

A quick correction, though - 700cc is a volume measurement of a wine bottle with one gulp taken out; 700C is the name of a bicycle tire size.
Old 05-21-15, 09:21 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Derp. I was talking with my son about the corkscrew device in that Schwarzenegger movie from the 90s, where he goes to Mars when I typed that.
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
All are good bikes, so as long as it fits, whatever you get will be good.

A quick correction, though - 700cc is a volume measurement of a wine bottle with one gulp taken out; 700Cis the name of a bicycle tire size.
Old 05-21-15, 02:46 PM
camp43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't the 57cm Jamis a little big for a 29" inseam? I'm a 29" and I don't think I'd fit over it. I generally need a 54 or less.
Old 05-21-15, 02:48 PM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With the seat all the way down I just clear it. It's probably more 29.5, but I don't quibble much
Old 05-21-15, 03:39 PM
UrHuckleBerry

Bikes: 2014 Roubaix SL4 Sora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez that Jamis is down the street, glad to see another Lincoln Clyde even if half of the paths are covered in mud and sand from recent weather. As everyone has stated lifetime adjustments can be a big deal if you are hard on rims, at least for spot truing that Joyride offers. The basic maint of adjusting brake cables and derailleur is easy. How does the stand over feel on the Jamis?
Old 05-21-15, 03:47 PM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol, right at the bottom of'the package' with mostly flat feet and the seat down. It feels better to ride, more stretched than the Coda I tried.

Last edited by Alathea; 05-22-15 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 04:43 PM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jamis guy keeps whaling me about the bike, and it's middle of the road components that are better than what I've looked at already....

But, I found the bike that makes my ❤ go zing. On a whim I stopped at the other used bike shop in town that had a bit more selection and I got a.........

2007 SURLY black crosscheck 54 with uploaded new cassette and front crank, stock derailleur, upped new brakes, and index bar end shifters, with fenders. For 625.00 and tax after installing the fenders.He's giving it another once over tonight and checking the tension on the spokes to fit me. I'll get it tomorrow. His shop is one of three where all the 'bikers' hang out, kind of like the vint shop for motorcycles where all the Triumph owners and Indian owners hang out. He's young but I gather he has a pretty good reputation.

Last edited by Alathea; 05-21-15 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-22-15, 04:47 PM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know. Pics or id didnt happen....

Ritchie hndlebar post, stock bars, cork, Kenda John Tomac(?) tires, stock 36 rims, Sram (?) bar ends (that I may move up if I feel I might kill myself in traffic), and basic SKS fenders. 2x9 font and back, and im not sure on the cassette and brakes- they are new and added after by the shop guy.

I want to put a Brooks on it. What color, thats the question. Bike is Black. Im thinking a B190 or a b66. Which is better for 300+? Tom Stormcrow?

CAS

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0173[1].jpg (102.6 KB, 12 views)
IMAG0174[1].jpg (100.1 KB, 10 views)
IMAG0176[1].jpg (95.2 KB, 8 views)
IMAG0180[1].jpg (104.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Alathea; 05-23-15 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 04:57 PM
dr_lha

Old 05-22-15, 04:59 PM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am thrilled beyond belief and I did tell him I wasn't sure which one of us came out ahead.
Old 05-23-15, 10:47 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It just occurred to me- the bar end shifters look like tiny little middle fingers to the people behind me. :-) That's funny.
Old 05-23-15, 10:50 AM
beakersbike

Bikes: 1956 Jagdring, 1979 Fuji Royale, 2015 Surly Disc Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe we need a Lincoln Clydes forum. Okay, I'm in Denver now but most of my life has been in Lincoln. I'm glad you found the Surly, I'd have said none of the above before that. The Jamis was a much better bike and even without the lifetime tuneups probably would have cost you less in the long run. Take it from another 340 Clyde with enough experience buying entry level bikes - you spend more replacing wheels, seat posts, seats etc than you save. Surly's are generally more sturdy, that was a great find.
Old 05-23-15, 10:53 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The guy is really nice, too. walked me through the frame, reminded me to avoid a kickstand if at all possible, also reminded me to bring it in in a month or two for both checkups, to talk about the shifters and how they feel for me, and to wet coat the inside of the frame because he does not know if the prior single owner had it done. Shook my hand on the way out the door and said to come on by if I needed anything.

Recycled Bicycles
Lincoln, NE

Incidentally, he had an older couple bring in a small 'bannanna' bike while I was there, with full steel fenders and frame, with integrated rack, for kids. I didnt think much of it except it was 'radio flyer' red and faded in that patina way that only older bikes can get, AND it had a separator bolt at the crank to split the frame into two and fold up. A real 'garage' find of some kind. He doesn't know much about it yet, but I know Ill be going back down there just to find out what it is that he has. Its a real neat looking piece.

HA it was one of these-

Last edited by Alathea; 05-23-15 at 10:56 AM.