Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No Helmet -- Nice!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No Helmet -- Nice!

Old 09-04-18, 08:04 PM
Wrenchnride

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Natchez 1995 Trek Multitrack 750 2015 Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 1977 I started wearing a Bell Biker on my 15 mile urban commute because I thought drivers would take notice and give me a wider berth. Then I fastened a mirror to the helmet so I could see what was going on behind me. I couldn’t imagine driving my car without rear view mirrors, so why not the bike? Just became a habit from that point on. The helmet I was wearing a few years ago when I went over the bars and landed on my head is split down the middle from the point of contact at my forehead. It hangs near my bikes in the shed. I don’t think I’ve forgotten a helmet since.

Old 09-24-18, 07:40 PM
canuckjgc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
If you get hit by a lifted pickup a styrofoam cap won't help you. At all.

There is a great pleasure in riding without a styrofoam cap. I ride MUP's to work on a rigid bike with 2.5 tires. I never wear a helmet and it is glorious. I also noticed that looking back and hearing cars coming is greatly enhanced without the helmet. Try it and see!

There is not doubt that at least some (or a good part) of "helmet culture" is supported by the helmet industry (or the car industry to prevent more people from cycling if you believe the conspiracy theorists).

If you look at the stats for real (not the regularly quoted close calls or "doctors say") the jury is still way out on their efficacy.
Originally Posted by davei1980
1. We have a helmet law here in Spokane

2. The risk vs. reward is like wearing a seatbelt. It doesn't make you one of the cool-kids or edgy to not wear one.

Comparisons to Holland are inappropriate because the cycling culture there is so much different - there are more bikes than cars. Here we live in the land of SUVs and lifted pickups who aren't always used to driving around bikes.

You're correct that a helmet is not a substitute for safe riding habits but it is a VERY MINOR inconvenience compared to a (no exaggeration) potentially life threatening head injury caused by a collision totally outside of the rider's control (eg - you can be the best, safest, slowest rider in the world and still get messed up)
Old 09-26-18, 10:21 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckjgc
If you get hit by a lifted pickup a styrofoam cap won't help you. At all.

There is a great pleasure in riding without a styrofoam cap. I ride MUP's to work on a rigid bike with 2.5 tires. I never wear a helmet and it is glorious. I also noticed that looking back and hearing cars coming is greatly enhanced without the helmet. Try it and see!

There is not doubt that at least some (or a good part) of "helmet culture" is supported by the helmet industry (or the car industry to prevent more people from cycling if you believe the conspiracy theorists).

If you look at the stats for real (not the regularly quoted close calls or "doctors say") the jury is still way out on their efficacy.
Nonsense. Of all the parts of the body the brain/skull can not take a hit as well as any other part. You don't need a helmet on your arms or legs, etc. Talk to someone who works in an ER and see if you still think so.
Old 09-27-18, 07:27 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
How in the heck has this thread remained in the Commuting forum for two whole months?

This should have been packed away to the Helmet Thread long ago.
Old 09-27-18, 10:13 AM
RHETTORIC

Bikes: Diamondback Podium 1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could go helmet-less, but living is cool too.
Old 09-27-18, 10:47 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
How in the heck has this thread remained in the Commuting forum for two whole months?

This should have been packed away to the Helmet Thread long ago.
This is the No Helmet Thread, that's very different, opposite even.
Old 09-27-18, 11:18 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i have loved three helmets over the course of my bike commuting career.

the one i currently have, and the two that were destroyed when my head collided with the pavement after being struck by a motor vehicle.
Old 09-27-18, 12:12 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
If nothing else, my helmet is for another layer of visibility. One of those bright chartreuse Garneau things that Performance sells. I find on my commute that when cars are coming out of driveways or their vision of me is somehow blocked, I can stand on the pedals and let them see the helmet coming. It seems to work (along with eye contact).

That Dutch video is great. I wonder, though, if Dutch bicycles are considered vehicles, as here.
Old 09-27-18, 01:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
If nothing else, my helmet is for another layer of visibility. One of those bright chartreuse Garneau things that Performance sells. I find on my commute that when cars are coming out of driveways or their vision of me is somehow blocked, I can stand on the pedals and let them see the helmet coming. It seems to work (along with eye contact).
An appropriately colored baseball-type cap also serves that purpose and has the advantage of being lighter, more comfortable, better ventilation, is cheaper and keeps the rain and sun out of the cyclist's eyes.
Old 09-27-18, 01:19 PM
canuckjgc

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Wow you must have a lot of natural protection of all your internal organs and femoral arteries if your skull is the most vulnerable part of your body. When a lifted pickup hits you, it doesn't aim for your styrofoam cap.
Here's a brain surgeon's view:
https://www.cnet.com/news/brain-surg...cycle-helmets/

Originally Posted by jack002
Nonsense. Of all the parts of the body the brain/skull can not take a hit as well as any other part. You don't need a helmet on your arms or legs, etc. Talk to someone who works in an ER and see if you still think so.

Last edited by canuckjgc; 09-27-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 02:11 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow you must have a lot of natural protection of all your internal organs and femoral arteries if your skull is the most vulnerable part of your body. When a lifted pickup hits you, it doesn't aim for your styrofoam cap.
In comparison, yes, totally
Old 09-28-18, 06:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
To the OP:

I know exactly what you mean. There is a certain joy to not having anything on your head.

Forgive me for not reading any of the previous 7 pages of responses, I am sure it covers a lot of new ground with insights And opinions I have never read before.
Old 09-28-18, 09:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
lol, you're so missing out! The innovation, the creativity, this thread has it all!
Old 09-28-18, 03:58 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
Am I missing the link between not wearing a helmet and becoming a competent cyclist?
You need more protection if you're not a competent cyclist. I think that's where he's coming from. Seems reasonable, at least.
Old 09-29-18, 07:38 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Today I did some errands on my commuter bike. As I was coming back home, about 20 mins after leaving the last shop, I noticed something strange about my head. I had left my helmet at the counter. Went back and there it was.
Guess after riding 50+ years without helmets, I haven't really incorporated them yet.
Old 09-29-18, 09:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
From the article:
Worse, he pointed to research from the UK's University of Bath that said the mere presence of cyclists wearing helmets makes car drivers feel they are safer.
Ah, the The University of Bath study again. It was barely scientific, and has not been replicated. The author was his own test subject. Yet this "study" is uncritically cited in article after article.
Old 10-01-18, 07:55 AM
ds3000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My logic for wearing a bike helmet - If I fall off my bike and hit my head, it would be better protected if I was wearing a helmet.

Here's an article backing-up my assertion
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
bicycle helmet paper.pdf (322.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-01-18, 09:42 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
It all boils down to risk assessment and subjective feel of "safety".
If humans could live for 10,000 years, then even cycing itself would be an unnacceptably risky sport, since you are most likely to get killed, or become an invalid within your first 5,000 years of cycling.

However, that is not the case. So, while cycling itself has its risks, just like cycling without a helmet does, I'm all for helmets not being obligatory. However stupid it may sound, I've trained judo as a small kid and it's helped me never hit my head, or break any bone, after decades of football, cycling and motorcycling. And I do fall down A LOT. Really. Been hit by cars too - never hit my head.

On the other hand, I've seen people fall down on flat pavement, while on foot, and hit their head real bad. For them it would be wise to wear a helmet when walking.

I wear a helmet on group rides, since I assume there's a lot more chance of things going wrong (10 tightly packed cyclists, if either of them in front of you goes down, you are likely to go down too, in a pile of other cyclists, hitting you and potentially preventing tuck and roll body movement). When riding solo - almost never. Don't like it and consider the extra risk too small to warrant it - just like I don't wear a helmet when walking.

I also teach my kid to think ahead, access risks and take responsibility for their actions and choices.
Old 10-04-18, 09:22 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

irregardless, the point of the OP was not to debate helmet efficaciousness, but to note how much more pleasant it is to ride without a helmet.
Old 10-04-18, 11:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
irregardless, the point of the OP was not to debate helmet efficaciousness, but to note how much more pleasant it is to ride without a helmet.
Yes, but once you utter "helmet" three times, you summon the helmet debate spirits, and once dead arguments rise from the grave to haunt us.
Old 10-05-18, 12:06 PM
RHETTORIC

Bikes: Diamondback Podium 1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
This is the No Helmet Thread, that's very different, opposite even.
I love the Thread Police on here. So vigilant
Old 10-05-18, 12:08 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I've missed this ****fest, can someone get up to date so that I can, er, um, contribute?
Old 10-08-18, 10:36 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

? Are you saying you want to give me money?
Old 10-10-18, 06:39 AM
stilltheoptimis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My helmet has saved my life during 3 different accidents. Wear your helmet people!
Old 10-26-18, 09:41 AM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The guy in this photo is me, this is traffic camera footage. Car ran red light at high speed. I could not see it coming behind that red honda. My helmet was smashed to bits. Got away easy with open fracture of tibia and fibula of the left leg, got a nice titanium rode in my leg almost free of charge. Bike did not make it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.