Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Multi-Surface Tire Pressure for Heavy Rider

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 12-08-18, 06:03 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

So idk if this belongs here or in the Clyde forums but here we go:

It's winter time, there's snow and ice on the ground, and I question whether my tire pressure is too high or too low even more than I already did every other time throughout the year. Granted now I have a bike running 700c x 45mm WTB Riddlers for more fast riding, and 700c x 50mm Clement MSOs for more casual riding, and I just got the Riddlers yesterday and decided to test them in the snow to see how I get on, with some less than ideal results.

So here's the deal: I weigh about 360-370lbs with my riding gear on and my bike (Giant Toughroad) is probably in the mid 20's in lbs if I had to guess. I'd primarily run the 50mm tires when riding on pavement (not by choice, just what is available) at 40psi front/ 45psi rear and coming from running 42mm Sawtooth tires I set my Riddlers to 50/55psi F/R, and both sets are tubeless. I usually always feel comfortable on the 50mm tires at that pressure, however I can't ever seem to work out a good pressure for my slightly narrower tires that doesn't leave me with anxiety about burping or pinch flats.

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions/reassurance regarding my situation. My goal is to have my Riddlers be my fast yet still comfortable and stable wheelset and my MSOs to be the casual, comfortable, yet capable wheelset. I don't know if trying lower pressures at my weight would still be safe for my wheels/tires even.

Last edited by DarKris; 12-09-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 06:19 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
50 psi is pretty high even with the extra weight, I'd start there and just adjust by 5 psi at a time until you figure out what works.

Think about people on touring and bike packing rigs, their bikes and gear are pretty heavy and their wheels and tires hold up fine.

Slightly pedantic note: the second number is the width in millimeters, i.e. 700c x 45mm. Not 45c.
Old 12-09-18, 03:03 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Originally Posted by ksryder
50 psi is pretty high even with the extra weight, I'd start there and just adjust by 5 psi at a time until you figure out what works.

Think about people on touring and bike packing rigs, their bikes and gear are pretty heavy and their wheels and tires hold up fine.

Slightly pedantic note: the second number is the width in millimeters, i.e. 700c x 45mm. Not 45c.
Edited.

Yeah I just lowered my pressures to 40/45psi F/R to test it out and the rear tire felt pretty bouncy (and apparently I lost some pressure over a 2 mi. loop) so I went up to 45/50psi and for pavement-to-gravel I think this might be a bit better for balanced comfort and speed. I really wanted my 2 wheelsets to be differentiated, but I still wanted to squeeze out some comfort from my 45mm tires.
Old 12-13-18, 01:50 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
As low as you can get away with.
Old 12-13-18, 08:33 AM
DarKris

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Curious as to what you consider low enough pressures. Do you base it off tire compression? Not burping/hitting the rim over bumps? No squirming in corners/when sprinting?
Old 12-13-18, 09:03 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Doesn't this ^^^^^ create drag and slow you down on the road???

I've always tended to run mine high because of this belief and 70% of our riding is on the road so have run the pressure for the majority usage and put up with it being harsher than ideal on the gravel sections we go over.

That said they've just filled in a load of potholes in one of the longish parts we go through and just lay down loose gravel ... it's absolutely awful to ride on at the moment until it gets trodden down and compacted back in a bit.
Old 12-15-18, 11:00 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris

Curious as to what you consider low enough pressures. Do you base it off tire compression? Not burping/hitting the rim over bumps? No squirming in corners/when sprinting?
Originally Posted by Witterings
Doesn't this ^^^^^ create drag and slow you down on the road???

I've always tended to run mine high because of this belief and 70% of our riding is on the road so have run the pressure for the majority usage and put up with it being harsher than ideal on the gravel sections we go over. ...
When I say as low as you can get away with, I mean for the conditions you'll be riding and for what compromises you are willing to make. Burping, hitting the rim and squirming are clearly too low for any conditions. If my ride plans for the day include lots of pavement and mostly smooth dirt roads, I'll go a bit higher pressure to enhance smooth rolling and low drag. If I'll be mostly on dirt/gravel and traction is more important than speed, I'll go on the low end.

I have done rides where I rode a long distance paved before getting to a long section of gravel, so I started with higher pressure, let some air out for the gravel and then pumped the tires back up for the paved end of the ride. But for a more even mix of shorter sections of varying terrain, I will lean more toward gravel comgort and traction over pavement speed. My experience is that I can go lower than most people think in all conditions.

What specific pressure works best varies greatly between different tires, even tires the same size. Same for going by tire compression. Some tires with stiffer sidewall protection can run lower pressure and compress more than what works with a very supple tire. Rider weight and riding style make big differences, too. I don't know of a shortcut or rule of thumb that works better than experimenting with different pressures to find what works best for you, your tires and your surfaces.
Old 12-16-18, 10:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I can't give you a direct comparison as im 235# and ride 40mm tires, so what I do will obviously be different.

just wanted to post that I've found I am comfortable at pressures higher that most everyone here uses/cites/suggests.
I'll run them at around 45f/50r and that is plenty of 'squish' and traction for me. I get comfort while not feeling like the tire is squirmish or dragging.

just try the Riddlers at 55f/60r and go from there.
Old 12-16-18, 12:44 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
So here's the deal: I weigh about 360-370lbs with my riding gear on ...
so, you're my hero. at 335lbs and just getting my first bike in 25 years its nice to know I'm not the only one.
Old 12-16-18, 02:19 PM
DarKris

So I actually did do some experimenting with my pressures and I think I had a realization: I should stop trying to run 45 - 50mm tires in the snow, namely rutted snow. I think with the 45mm tires I felt a little too squishy on 40/45 psi, and while I theoretically would be fine on 45/50 psi, I'm going to try 42/47 psi as a middle ground. I'll also see about running my 50mm tires around 5psi less than what I run my 45s at. I think I'll also reserve those tires for when I get a little too adventurous on trails :x

Originally Posted by cobalt123
so, you're my hero. at 335lbs and just getting my first bike in 25 years its nice to know I'm not the only one.
Don't mention it. Got back into cycling ~5 years ago when I was around 320lbs so feel free to message me if you have any concerns.

Last edited by DarKris; 12-16-18 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 09:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I like my Riddlers but they are not snow ice tires, regardless of pressure. but there was 1 time I rode them on crunchy crusty granular snow/ice where they were surprisingly good. but that specific riding condition is so rare. recently took them off for some studded tires. of course I've been riding w/o snow & ice & that stinks. be nice to have another set of wheels with the Riddlers ready to go. these are my 45s on an old hybrid

finding the right pressure for any given tire, tire size, rider & conditions of the day, are kinda trial & error, don't you think?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-26-18 at 10:56 AM.