Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ticking noise from rear of new bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 04:07 PM
nybikelawyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Only a few hundred miles on my new Canyon Ultimate CF SL, Shimano 105 groupset, DT Swiss wheels, disc brakes.

Tried lubing the chain, both derailleurs, making sure gearing is probably tuned, greased pedal spindles, checked torque on crank arm, cassette, chainring bolts, and seat post. Jockey is not touching spokes and jockey wheels are lubed. Nothing about shoes are touching bike. Do not see anything on the wheel or moving parts clicking when I spin the wheel and crank on the stand.

Have not yet removed crank arm, crank (press fit BB which is a first do I don't have a puller tool yet), and have not removed the cassette to grease the spindles.

Any ideas based on this annoying sound? Bike Forums won't let me post a link yet, but if you go to Youtube and search for "ticking from rear wheel ny bike lawyer," you'll see me and my orange socks.
Old 07-24-19, 05:32 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Check that your shoe or crank arm is not ticking against the end of the front derailleur shift wire; this may come and go depending upon your front gear choice. Also consider swapping the pedals for a known-quiet pair, preferably platform type to rule out shoe or cleat noise. Lube the wheel (both) axle and skewer contact points. Try riding out of the saddle to see if that helps.
Old 07-24-19, 09:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
It is possible to post a link if you sub the @ or . with "at" or "dot".

Try to narrow down the clicking with other actions. Only when pedaling or not? Standing or seated? How about when back pedaling? Different wheels?

Common points to not think about are valve stems in rims (and tire fit/pressures), cable ends brushed by cranks/feet, that the noise is not from the drivetrain or wheels at all. Andy
Old 07-24-19, 09:20 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Brand New bike also means brand new wheels. Machine built. My money is on lower spoke tension than you should have.

I recently dealt with this. Thought it was a fried front hub. Turned out to be a couple low tension, not physically loose rear spokes.

It only happens on new wheels or rather old ones.
Old 07-24-19, 11:28 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
When I had that problem, it drove me crazy, until I saw it was my shoe lace tip hitting the crank arm