Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

beginner building experience

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 08-06-19, 07:03 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts

i've done some brazing in the past, but nothing where it was as important to maintain proper heat on the parts like with bicycle frames. i would love to eventually build my own frame, but to build up to that point i was thinking of making my own racks and maybe doing some frame and fork mods on existing bikes.

is this a good route to take?

as an example - i'm loving my 26er drop bar thing - it's a 90s univega mountain bike i've set up with some old and modern parts to be a cheap gravel/go anywhere bike.

eventually i'd like to replace the frame dropouts with some modern modular dropouts to make the bike even more adaptable. it would, for example, make replacing the rear derailleur hanger cake if it were to ever break off, etc. it could even make a 650b conversion doable at some point.

this particular frame also has a few dents i'd like to repair to gain that experience as well, and i feel like it would be a good candidate for other mods too, such as maybe internally routing the cables and maybe adding some bosses on the top tube for a gas tank bag or what have you. it's not really a question of if this particular frame is worth the work to modify it, but rather if it's worth gaining experience working with bike frames i already have prior to setting out to build my own.

what are your opinions? are frame mods and rack building a good way to get your feet wet, or is it better just to dive right in and build a frame from a tube set?
Old 08-06-19, 08:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Yes, racks and mods are a good way to begin your building foundation. Not sure this Univega frame is worth all that though... Andy
Old 08-07-19, 01:15 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Yes, racks and mods are a good way to begin your building foundation. Not sure this Univega frame is worth all that though... Andy
thanks for the feedback! like i said, it's not really a matter of if the frames i have on hand are "worth" putting the work into, but more if putting work into them is a good way to build experience.
Old 08-07-19, 06:54 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
When I decided to learn how to build frames I went straight to building a frame. The materials are cheap enough that I don't see the point in doing anything else.
Old 08-09-19, 07:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
you can buy 4130 and brazing rod and stick them together. Probably worth doing. You can also get two sizes of 4130 that slip together and practice brazing lugs.
Old 08-09-19, 07:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
t e r r y- I can help you with "reasons" to do any mods or project you wish. I have a life time of doing such and rarely get even half of the cost covered. I always called this the cost of education Andy