Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why so crazy about Felt bikes?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-11-07, 10:14 PM
kmac27

Bikes: MTB Agressor for now.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm curious it seems the people who like other bikes aren't as entheuasiastic about their bikes like those felt owners. So why are they so grand? I found a dealer thats close and asked them about prices of bikes for 105 parts at least to see what they say and when I get it back I'll put it here and see what you guys think. I know you can get felt bikes for cheap online but can you get a relativley close comparison from a store also or are the prices jacked?
Old 11-11-07, 10:18 PM
Nem01

Bikes: 03 Peak R2000, 07 Ridley Orion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pffft felt...
most triathletes use them.
Old 11-11-07, 10:26 PM
formula4
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mmmm.... felt.
Old 11-11-07, 10:32 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Maybe because Felt makes a fantastic bike?
I don't own one, but I've ridden enough of them to know that they're a quality product.
Some things have a false hype. Felt is not one of those things.
Old 11-11-07, 10:33 PM
kmac27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard they have a lot of flex. are they carbon or aluminum or a mix of both?
Old 11-11-07, 10:37 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmac27
I heard they have a lot of flex. are they carbon or aluminum or a mix of both?
Wow, way to be informative.
Nothing flexy about my carbon Felt, even though I have more exotic bikes, I still enjoy the hell out of my Felt F4C.
Felt makes great bikes at a great price.
Old 11-11-07, 11:08 PM
kmac27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I'm 5'9 with a 32 inseem should I take a chance? https://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-2007-F...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-11-07, 11:17 PM
celerystalksme
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i test rode some felts when i was shopping for a roadbike as well as when i was shopping for a tri bike. i personally did not like them...they just didn't seem either as comfortable, responsive, light, fast, value-packed ( as the other bikes i tried...or some combination of those bike traits

i settled on a specialized for the roadbike...and a cervelo for the tri bike...
Old 11-11-07, 11:28 PM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love it when i get to show pics of my bike..

my felt is pretty awesome.. i have upgraded everything except frame and forks.. i couldn't pass up full carbon with a decent components when i bought it...
Old 11-11-07, 11:31 PM
ChunkyB
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a lot of it stems from the fact that they're the underdogs, and people always like to be the ones that had things before they were cool. Kind of like when someone asks if you've heard of a band, and they're so happy when you say no.

They are great bikes, don't get me wrong. I think they just also have that allure of being the new guys.
Old 11-11-07, 11:37 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
What is the history of Felt? I seem to recall that the guys from GT created Felt after GT went bankrupt, is this correct?
Old 11-11-07, 11:39 PM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
What is the history of Felt? I seem to recall that the guys from GT created Felt after GT went bankrupt, is this correct?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felt_(bicycles)
Old 11-11-07, 11:45 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Felts are GREAT bikes, had an all alum one and was stiff and good power transfer. Never had a prob with it after 3 yrs of beating it to death.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 11-11-07, 11:46 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by WxGuesser
Thanks, there is a link from that link to this article:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Felt is an American bicycle manufacturer, specializing in high-end racing bicycles at a low price. To date, Felt has focused on producing aluminum frames, with their flagship time trial B2 being one of the most widely copied frame designs. For the 2006 model year, Felt introduced one of the most all-encompassing carbon fiber lines in the industry, ranging from the USD $1999 F5C to the $5699 F1C.

The company was founded by Jim Felt. Early in the 1990s, Felt products were distributed by Answer, prior to that company moving on to other endeavors. During this time, however, the original Felt DA and B2 saw extensive use in time trial and multisport events, given the superior aerodynamics of the time. Felt products nearly disappeared from the domestic scene following the fallout with Answer, but have recently made a resurgence.

Felt has managed to keep prices low by having no formal advertising campaign, choosing to let brand recognition come from word-of-mouth. The Colavita Olive Oil/Sutter Home Wine Cycling Team was, until recently, the only attempt the company made at advertising. In 2007 Felt was a sponsor of the Slipstream/Chipotle bicycle racing team.

For 2007, Felt has unveiled what Jim Felt is claiming to be the "most aerodynamic, UCI-legal frame" ever created on the new B2C/DA-Carbon bikes. Both bikes share remarkably narrow (25mm), aerodynamically shaped frames. Felt has taken to innovation rather than tradition for the new bikes, with never-before-seen in the industry brake mounting (inside the seat tube above the bottom bracket) and a proprietary fork/stem/headset system. According to Jim Felt, talks with UCI ProTour teams have already begun, and Felt may become a major international player. Projected retail for the new bikes is $4000 (B2C) and $7000 (DA-C), the biggest difference being that the DA comes with Zipp 808 tubular race wheels and a Zipp aerobar/base bar combination. The new frame will be raced in Kona in 2006 for the Ironman.
Old 11-12-07, 01:40 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
I've owned, raced, test-ridden a few bikes and even had a custom frame built for me, but this 63cm F55 is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.
Before getting this bike, any ride over 60 miles always involved at least a little discomfort; but I can ride just about all day in the drops if I want to.
I don't know if they are necessarily a superior bike or if I finally got lucky with the fit on this one, but mine's the dog's-bollocks and the cat's pyjamas. The only thing I'd change about it is the flat-black (asphalt camouflage) paint.
-CCinC
Old 11-12-07, 05:52 AM
ejm876

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I'm 5'9 with a 32 inseem should I take a chance? https://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-2007-F...QQcmdZViewItem
Minus the reflectors, that looks nice. I've heard good things about that model in particular.
Old 11-12-07, 06:03 AM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, unless you have a freakishly long torso. Felt F-series bikes already put you in a slightly stretched out position due to their somewhat aggressive geometry, so in all likelihood it won't work very well for you.
Old 11-12-07, 08:21 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My shop is a Felt dealer (since interbike). They offer a lot of bang for the buck. Though the low end does have a soft BB. We haven't gotten in any of the carbon bikes so I can't comment on them. Though the DA and B2 (same bike, same mold, just different carbon) are really sick looking
Old 11-12-07, 08:39 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I considered a Felt last year. It seemed to me that, at most price points, Felt would use one or two cheaper components with a group that other manufacturers didn't. They seem to skimp on cranksets (as most do) but also in the area of brakes. I'm big on having great brakes, so that was a turnoff for me. They just didn't offer the same level of component value as other manufacturers.

Otherwise, probably a great bike. And if you do as the previous poster did and replace everything, there's no reason not to go with them. (Although, why not just buy a frame?)
Old 11-12-07, 08:49 AM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I miss my Felt. It's an entry level F90, but was still a great bike and was a pleasure to own. The LBS that sold me the Felt stopped selling them (had a problem with the rep or something) and switched to Scott, so that's what I'm riding now.
Here it is on the way to the LBS to be shipped off to its current owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5691.jpg (67.9 KB, 334 views)
Old 11-12-07, 10:29 AM
sour01
Rid'n Rev

Bikes: 2007 Felt F55, Vintage Univega, 2012 Specialized Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I bought an F55 this Spring and love it. I'm 6'4 and 240+ and ride a 63cm bike. The problem for me is that it is next to impossible to find LBSs with that size bike in stock to test ride a variety of bikes so I took a chance. Have ridden two metric centuries on it to date.

The F55 is aluminum/carbon with DA components and I find it stiff, responsive, and yet comfortable to ride. Seemed like a lot of bike for the buck and I have confirmed all the positive reviews I researched prior to buying. I even got personal service from the national sales manager when there were problems with 63cm frame inventory.
Old 11-12-07, 10:59 AM
atomship47
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my felt z35;

std components;

well, they're ok. i'm a little surprised when i hear people say felt has the best components for the price point. i'm not sure i'd agree based upon the other makes/models i looked at when i bought mine. i paid a little extra and upgraded to an all 105 bike with a thomson seatpost because i didn't like the fsa crank, bb and wh500 wheelset.

fit;

the single most comfortable bike i have EVER ridden (i've only ridden about 15 road bikes and they were all for test rides). love love love the ride. oddly enough, the only other bike that came close in feel was the trek pilot 5.0.

customer service;

i'd heard good things. however, my experience with felt hasn't been the greatest (i've moaned about it in quite a few threads). unfortunately, i'll probably never know how much was due to felt and how much was due to the dealer.

on the up-side, when i returned my cracked frame and they didn't have a spare z35 in my size, they sent me a z25 frame. from a distance, it now looks like i have a $3200 bike hehehe.

aesthetics;

personally, i think felt makes one good-looking bike.

finish;

the cf finish on my z25 frame is much "neater" than that of the z35.

would i buy another;

probably. i tried really hard to like the fit, ride and feel of the f1x cross model.
Old 11-12-07, 11:09 AM
kmac27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds the bike might fit my funny body style. I have a long upper body but short leggs.
Old 11-12-07, 11:50 AM
gr@sshopper

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted a felt, but the trek I got had better stuff on it, for considerably less money (clearance is good), from a better shop.

The shop is now in different hands, and I go to the guy who sells felts.
Old 11-12-07, 11:52 AM
atomship47
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds the bike might fit my funny body style. I have a long upper body but short leggs.
that's the general consensus; felt geometries are a good fit for that body type.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.