Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How bad of an idea is THIS?!?!?!? ***Warning...graphic pics of tire torture***

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How bad of an idea is THIS?!?!?!? ***Warning...graphic pics of tire torture***

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 03:38 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Changing a tire is really more technique-dependent than a strength thing. That's why they invented physics.
THIS.

With my new Kinlin rims last year, I had the same problems with tires. I was "this close" to getting metal levers, tire jacks, etc.

But I finally figured out how to mount the tires easily with just one lever. The key is to just lift an inch of bead at a time, slide over, and repeat.

See my Tight fitting tire - easy method thread, with photos.

Just an inch of bead at a time:
Old 09-13-11, 03:47 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Around here, at least, alot of women never learn how to change a tube because they don't have to. Seems there's always some guy around that just has to insist on doing it for them.

I blame Archimedes.
I blame the patriarchy.

Well..expirement 1 and 2 have failed. My "tire rack" only served the deform the tire pretty badly and expose the wire inside the bead. While I was out, I stopped by a shop and picked up a VAR lever. Even with the "stretched" tire, and without a tube, I was only able to get the first bead on using the VAR. I tried to get the second bead on but the VAR would bend so badly that it lost its grip on the bead it was trying to pull up.

And just so you know, I mount my own GP4000s on my Open Pros and my Ritchey OCR's without levers...these things are ridiculous.

Next step...I'm going to take the wheels to the place they were purchased and see if they're willing to pull a variety of 650mm tires they stock to see if any might have a looser fit.

Kool Stop Tire Jack is another step but unless I can find one locally, it won't help to get these mounted before this weekend's century.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 09-13-11, 04:02 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
man, if that 2x4 decided to give way... watch out!
Old 09-13-11, 04:03 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,480 Times in 3,224 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
the VAR lever, pictured below is your answer.
Originally Posted by pdedes
it's a bead jacker with a nesting extra tire lever. light, gets really tight tires on. find one, buy it, and be a hero the rest of your life.
Well, I searched and searched and I can't find a source. PBK doesn't have it, Amazon doesn't have it, it's out of stock at biketoolsetc.com

But what was cool was I found pictures of it in use here: https://randonneurextra.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html and to top it off the blogger here mentioned an old friend in the 3 Feb 2009 down the page and I was prompted to get back in touch with him and see how he's doing.

But if anyone can source this please post it.
Old 09-13-11, 04:37 PM
dstrong 

Nelo's Cycles on Mesa and Anderson Lane...Austin, TX.

Old 09-13-11, 06:42 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Did you try my inch-at-a-time method at post #26 above? (But you have wire bead tires, I've never tried those on my rims. )

Originally, I had sore fingers and mangled levers after working for 45 minutes to get the tire mounted. I really didn't know what I would do on the road.

But now it's easy, with very little force on the lever. It's actually more trouble to get the tire off than on.

I think the levers make a difference. I don't like these types of levers at all. The back of the lever should be flat, not concave. And I don't like the sharp edge on the working end.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-13-11 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-13-11, 07:11 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Both my Serfas Survivor Drifters (wire) and Vittoria Randonneur Pros (folding) went on hard for me. Both times I used the above mentioned Crank Brothers Speed Lever, and one or two regular levers. Then they went on pretty easily. I always have to try it the hard way before I remember, though. I recently put Forte Strada K's (wire) on Open Pros without any tools.

Having said that, it certainly seems as though she should get some different rims, and also try easier to mount tires.
Old 09-13-11, 07:26 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The VAR tool was discontinued and probably was the best selling product they had, who is going to understand french?

The blue park picture is garbage i managed to crack 2 sets, and I'm not that strong either, now i have the short blue park that are way better than the ones in the picture.
Old 09-13-11, 07:35 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeebusaurousrex
I sound like a broken record, but have you tried this first?

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire.../dp/B001AYML7K
I was having problems mounting tires on DT Swiss rims. I finally got one of these and it solved the problem. It's a little big to carry, but I cut the handle down to about two inches and it fits my small tool bag that I use.
Old 09-13-11, 09:53 PM
dstrong 

Uncle. Unless the LBS can find some tires that make it onto these rims more easily, I'm going to suggest she save up for new wheels...we'll use her trusty Mavic CXP22's for the century this weekend.

I'll probably order a Kool Stop also.

Ultraman...my LBS had the VAR tool and I bought one, so either they had NOS or they're still making them.

Old 09-14-11, 01:51 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i want to try one of these

https://www.parktool.com/product/tire-seater-pts-1
Old 09-14-11, 05:07 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
Now add some heat . . . how big is your oven?
Hmmmm...... Maybe put them on ice.....
https://tpt.aapt.org/resource/1/phtea...s1?bypassSSO=1
Old 09-14-11, 06:18 AM
superflylondon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok for the people who are suggesting different levers to put these gatorskins on the eastons are making me howl!

I own this exact setup and can tell you that it is not the levers, its not the person putting the tires on it is just the compliance variables of the eaton's running large and the conti's running small.

I know we pm'ed back and forth but I'll put it here for the group incase it helps anyone else....

Stretching the tire is not going to hurt it, espicially a conti gatorskin! that thing is strong than the mantel of the earth....

Stretch it like that for a day or so and then mount one of the beads or both if you can. If you can only get one bead on mount it on the rim and leave it on for a day. then take it back to the wood/jack and stretch it again for a day. then mount it again but the opposite bead. after leaving it for a day again....stretch it and then you should able to mount it.

Soap the rim when mounting them.....lots of YouTube vids on how to mount the tire too on.

I had a b*tch of a time mounting mine but now the come on and off somewhat easier but still a tight fit!

Good luck....off to work....
Old 09-14-11, 06:58 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Know the Var rep for the US the tool is discontinued, u cant even see it at ebay or online no more. 2011 catalog doesnt have it either

Originally Posted by dstrong
Ultraman...my LBS had the VAR tool and I bought one, so either they had NOS or they're still making them.
Old 09-14-11, 07:18 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Using the soapy water helps. Dishwasher liquid soap is really slick. But don't use too much, just on the last part.

Make sure she takes a small used bar of soap with her on rides. Rub the bar of soap on the last part of the rim. Add spit if necessary.

Whether its Conti's or not.
Old 09-14-11, 07:34 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by superflylondon
Stretching the tire is not going to hurt it, espicially a conti gatorskin! that thing is strong than the mantel of the earth....
Yes it will.

You are breaking the bonds between the casing and the tread at the microscopic level doing this. It can cause delamination. When this happens and you try to warranty your Gatorskin I wouldn't mention it. Tires are not meant to be stretched like that.

For mounting a tire put the levers away.

Put on the first side and push the bead into the center of the rim. Install the tube and then put on as much opf the second side as you can. Once you get to the last 6`10cm of difficult installation turn the side you are mounting AWAY FROM YOU and roll the palms of your hands across the tire towards you - alternating hands and you go. When done pulling with one hand hold on tightly so you don't lose what you've just pulled on.

I've mounted A LOT of tires and a lot of Continentals specifically and this works every time. And when I say A LOT I'm talking in the thousands.

Dish soap is a good trick for the first installation but isn't practical on the road (obviously). Having said that subsequent installations are usually not quite as difficult.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 09-14-11 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 07:41 AM
Toeslider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superflylondon
Stretch it like that for a day or so and then mount one of the beads or both if you can. If you can only get one bead on mount it on the rim and leave it on for a day. then take it back to the wood/jack and stretch it again for a day. then mount it again but the opposite bead. after leaving it for a day again....stretch it and then you should able to mount it.

Soap the rim when mounting them.....lots of YouTube vids on how to mount the tire too on.

Doesn't really help you with a flat on the road...
Old 09-14-11, 08:17 AM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Using the soapy water helps. Dishwasher liquid soap is really slick. But don't use too much, just on the last part.

Make sure she takes a small used bar of soap with her on rides. Rub the bar of soap on the last part of the rim. Add spit if necessary.

Whether its Conti's or not.
Lube is key(that's what she said)!

Take a tiny bottle of Purel and put it in your bag. Nice and slick, really helps make tire mounting easy!

Old 09-14-11, 09:57 AM
DGozinya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Once you get to the last 6`10cm of difficult installation turn the side you are mounting AWAY FROM YOU and roll the palms of your hands across the tire towards you - alternating hands and you go. When done pulling with one hand hold on tightly so you don't lose what you've just pulled on.
6-10cm? LOL, I see you've never worked on these EA50 rims. I had 10-12 INCHES that wouldn't go. Your longshoreman hands might work on that, but mine would have spurted blood. Levers are mandatory on these rims.
Old 09-14-11, 11:04 AM
dstrong 

I used to scoff at those who talked about having difficulties mounting tires...no more. I just mounted her GP4000s onto her other wheels, Mavic CXP-somethings, without a problem. I used a lever for the front but the rear went on by hand.

While many of you have probably had success mounting difficult tires, the real question is whether you think your wife or GF could mount those difficult tires while out on a solo ride. The answer for my ride partner with these EA50's is "no". Unless we're able to find more compliant tires, she'll need to use her other wheels until she can save enough for new wheels and NOT use the EA50's.

So...now I'm going to change directions slightly. One option I've thought of is to replace the rim of the EA50's with another rim, moving the hubs and spokes over. I've built my own wheels and this would appear to be straight forward...but the question is whether I could find a rim that would allow me to re-use the spokes, given the variety in lengths. What is the measurement I need to match? Is it the ERD? In other words, if I found a rim with the same ERD, could I use the same spokes? I know there are arguments about whether spokes should be re-used but we'll just assume it's okay to in this example.

The EA50's are radial on the front and non-drive side on the rear, with 2X on the drive side.

Old 09-14-11, 11:43 AM
lunacycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
So...now I'm going to change directions slightly. One option I've thought of is to replace the rim of the EA50's with another rim, moving the hubs and spokes over. I've built my own wheels and this would appear to be straight forward...but the question is whether I could find a rim that would allow me to re-use the spokes, given the variety in lengths. What is the measurement I need to match? Is it the ERD? In other words, if I found a rim with the same ERD, could I use the same spokes? I know there are arguments about whether spokes should be re-used but we'll just assume it's okay to in this example.

The EA50's are radial on the front and non-drive side on the rear, with 2X on the drive side.
You shouldn't have any problems at all switching rims. Even if the ERD is off by 2mm, that's only a 1mm difference in radius.

Earlier this summer I re-laced a new Kinlin rim onto my Ritchey Protocol wheel. Even though the original rim had an off-center profile, and the ERD was off by a couple millimeters, the rim transfer was easy. I lined up the valve holes, taped the rims together, and just moved one spoke at a time. No issues yet.
Old 09-14-11, 11:51 AM
lunacycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, I have a set of EA50 SL rims, with Conti GP4000 (kevlar bead) tires. They are a pain to get on and a pain to get off. I can do both without the aid of tire levers, but it takes every once of strength. My fingers and palms are raw afterwards, and I'm sweating and cursing the whole time.

I would not wish that hell upon my wife and her delicate little fingers.
Old 09-14-11, 12:17 PM
Brittain

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Globe City 7.1, 2002 Trek 4500 Alpha, 2002 Kona Hahanna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In other news, I think I will put ***Warning... Graphic Pics*** in all of my new threads now to boost traffic. That was literally the only reason I looked at this thread.

P.S. In response to your initial question, that does indeed seem like a bad idea.
Old 09-14-11, 12:24 PM
dstrong 

[QUOTE=Brittain;13225612]In other news, I think I will put ***Warning... Graphic Pics*** in all of my new threads now to boost traffic. That was literally the only reason I looked at this thread.[QUOTE]

I know my audience.

Old 09-15-11, 10:07 AM
Stoner51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the EA50 as well. I could not get my pro race 3 on, The first set of conti 4000 went on ok. Recently I flatted and had to change the tire. Long story I had to take it to the shop these were also conti 4000, But once the tire goes on I don't have any trouble changing flats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.