Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

In a cycling funk

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

In a cycling funk

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 10:57 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Race. First race of the year was today in Corvallis and their is a time trial up in Vancouver next weekend. The time trial is supposed to have an "Eddy" category as well where no aerobars/TT bikes are allowed.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-19-12, 11:06 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Race. First race of the year was today in Corvallis and their is a time trial up in Vancouver next weekend. The time trial is supposed to have an "Eddy" category as well where no aerobars/TT bikes are allowed.
I'm probably not going to race this year. I raced a couple cat 5's last year. saw some bad accidents that I was able to not be a part of. As much as I love being competative, I cant afford to fix my bike back up if I crash. I raced motorcycles and crashing has to be a part that is accepted. I didn't do well in racing motorcycles because I feared falling and since I have done it before and it hurts. Same with cycling, but its more about financial. I just need to be smart about it, because if i do go down I will be out of cycling for a long time till I would have the funds to put it back together or save for a new bike. I dont want to deal with that. But who knows, if I get into better shape, I may find myself out doing some crits.
Old 02-20-12, 01:02 AM
Burglar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Same here.

I don't like riding solo. We have a 2 yr old, and my wife and I work opposite schedules. If there's a group ride I want to do, she's at work. I have friends who say they will babysit "any time", but rarely come through. My riding buddies say they will go for a ride "any time" but... yeah... rarely come through. I got a cold, so I took a week off from riding to work... which turned into two weeks... etc...

I was making really good progress on my weight loss last summer/fall. I've been stuck the last three months. My sleep pattern is all screwed up (it's almost 2am now, and I'm up... have to be at work at 8). This time of year has always been tough for me. I have anxiety/depression issues, and the winter time (lack of daylight, crummy weather) seems to amplify it. The thing is, when I'm exercising/riding: I feel a lot better in general.

Once the weather gets nicer, my wife's schedule changes so I can hit a couple of group rides per week. Once I get back in the groove, things will straighten out. I really want to get out and enjoy my new bike!
Old 02-20-12, 07:22 AM
hollowmen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the exact same position. One of the only things helping me get out of it is the fact that I'm riding across the country this summer.

I think what's going to be the biggest help is riding with others. As soon as March comes around, the local club here in town starts up their weekend rides. In April, they start their fast-paced weekday rides. If I can make it out to at least 2 of those a week, I'm hoping the camaraderie and competition will drive me to get in the saddle more often.

Try and find a club in the area. Hang out at a bike shop and chat with other cyclists. Post on BF. If your riding buddies are not available, find more riding buddies.
Old 02-20-12, 07:27 AM
rmr1923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hollowmen
Try and find a club in the area. Hang out at a bike shop and chat with other cyclists. Post on BF. If your riding buddies are not available, find more riding buddies.
i thought reading/posting on BF would help motivate me over the winter... all it did was make me wanna buy expensive stuff for my bike
Old 02-20-12, 07:42 AM
hollowmen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmr1923
i thought reading/posting on BF would help motivate me over the winter... all it did was make me wanna buy expensive stuff for my bike
They have some pretty harsh winters in Houston?

*sigh* Unfortunately, I know what you mean. Though I was thinking more along the lines of throwing up a post looking for other cyclists in the OP's area, but buying expensive stuff works too!
Old 02-20-12, 07:46 AM
rmr1923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hollowmen
They have some pretty harsh winters in Houston?
you know it... it got down to a bone-chilling 40 degrees once

actually, the winter weather here is perfect for riding. rarely gets below 40, and if i wait until around mid-day on the weekends it's in the 50s or 60s, sometimes 70s.
Old 02-20-12, 08:31 AM
superflylondon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can get like that sometimes myself, like others said if you get the kit on and saddle up the feelings go away after a few miles and your right back into enjoying it. Nothing wrong with taking a break every now and then and doing some other physical activity.

Since it is still the dead of winter here in Canada I take any decent day to ride so motivation is usually never a factor. Got a nice 2 hour ride in yesterday outside in -8 temps, 15km/h winds so not too face numbing. Was very windy the day before so my usual route had drifted snow/ice on the shoulder. Still a great ride. After I got home and did the family stuff, after dinner I did an hour on the rollers to get more base miles in (thanks again Nick for the help!).

Right now the sun is ACTUALLY shining and it's only -5 right now low winds...and it is a holiday here in Canada...leaving for nice ride in the next hour. Burrr but so nice to see the sun, hope it has melted some of those icy patches.
Old 02-20-12, 10:09 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Have you tried wearing your underwear outside your shorts?
Old 02-20-12, 10:27 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmm...I have not tried that one. You think it could really help********** Lol