Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Weight Loss Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 10:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I started at 210 7 years ago before I started riding. Now sitting at 142-144. The irritating thing is that I still have problem areas on my upper body but racing seems to be taking care of that.
Planning on a bit of extra strength training in the off season.
Wow. Kudos!
Old 07-06-12, 11:03 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It took 6 years to hit this weight.
I almost feel too thin now.
Old 07-06-12, 11:06 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
You feeling good though?
Yeah. It's all part of the plan.
Old 07-06-12, 11:08 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Yeah. It's all part of the plan.
Nice and your results are showing it
Old 07-15-12, 08:28 PM
pecos

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac S-Works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
214 last December, after a 3-4 year break from racing, yesterday right before a crit race the scale said 187. Still ways to go but encouraging.

I will turn 50 next year, so it will get harder. Plus my wife plans to go to chef school. Oh dear!
Old 07-16-12, 05:55 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Not good. Up 1.5 lbs in the last week. Back up to 211.5. According to my plan I should be 205 by next Saturday. Probably not gonna happen.
Old 07-16-12, 07:35 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Not good. Up 1.5 lbs in the last week. Back up to 211.5. According to my plan I should be 205 by next Saturday. Probably not gonna happen.
Been riding in the heat? Sodium intake up? You might be holding a little extra water.
Old 07-16-12, 08:18 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw 77.4 kg this morning... Probably a little on the light side, a bit dehydrated. Still progress. In January I was at 88.5 kg.
Old 07-16-12, 12:56 PM
graphs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been trying a new approach to weight loss. Basically I eat whatever I want (including no less than 1 ice cream cone per day) and put in a solid 2 or 3 hours a week on the bike. It's not really working so far but I'm having a great time so whatevs.
Old 07-16-12, 01:18 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
back to a more respectable 70.5kg. Still have a ways to go, but this is the lightest i've been at this time of the year since probably forever. I always start base a few kg's over at 72-73kg and work it down toward 68kg. Last year, i got there before Christmas, but gave it back. Eventually, i'd hit 68kg for the start of the season, but cutting weight during build and doing FTP & VO2max intervals sucks.

The hope is that i'd get down to some place manageable by Base 3 (October-ish) and not cut weight at all during build as it'll allow me to recover better. Hell, i may even get down a bit further than 68kg this time around. We shall see.

OTOH, i haven't been generating power since June and i'm fine with that. Just nice base rides early in the day on Saturdays.
Old 07-16-12, 01:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Still hovering 5 pounds higher than I'd like, but I"m pleased that this is the first Monday in forever that I'm lighter than I was on Friday.
Old 07-16-12, 07:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Been riding in the heat? Sodium intake up? You might be holding a little extra water.
Yes, and yes.
Old 07-23-12, 02:50 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I have a weight question and thought it best to post it here.
As we all know I am a fatty (well not really but it is fun). I have pulled my weight through the year (starting in March or so) and have now come to rest at a scrawny (for me) 188.
While I was out riding yesterday I was with two friends of mine:
1. 5'10", 150 pounds, pro mtb rider, trains on the road a bunch
2. 6'1", 158 pounds, amazing climber
Yesterday's ride, though uncomfortable at times, was the best I have felt climbing in years and ended up being the hammer, not the nail.
The final 30+ minutes of the ride (75 miles, 4,700 feet of climbing) saw me motorpacing my buddies back at 24-31 mph with a slight cross wind.
My question is this, as I am never going to be a roadracer (focus is crits) should I settle at 188 or drop another 10? Just looking for thoughts/opinions.
Old 07-23-12, 03:06 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My question is this, as I am never going to be a roadracer (focus is crits) should I settle at 188 or drop another 10? Just looking for thoughts/opinions.
For a guy who was offered a pro contract, you ask a lot of questions with obvious answers.

I won't break down your height/weight/power, that's for the echappists. I can tell you that the Masters road racers that I simply cannot keep up with in road races, even at 10%-15% above my threshold for over 20 minutes, are big guys, not the prototypical skinny climbers. They are tall and carry a lot of muscle. One does not need to fit the stereotypical body type to succeed. I am built like a climber but succeed in criteriums. There may be statistical generalizations that may follow trends, but let's face it. This is a sport of freaks. The most successful riders have something that the others don't, and I'm not talking about dope.
Old 07-23-12, 03:10 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a guy who was offered a pro contract, you ask a lot of questions with obvious answers.

I won't break down your height/weight/power, that's for the echappists. I can tell you that the Masters road racers that I simply cannot keep up with in road races, even at 10%-15% above my threshold for over 20 minutes, are big guys, not the prototypical skinny climbers. They are tall and carry a lot of muscle. One does not need to fit the stereotypical body type to succeed. I am built like a climber but succeed in criteriums. There may be statistical generalizations that may follow trends, but let's face it. This is a sport of freaks. The most successful riders have something that the others don't, and I'm not talking about dope.
I knew that was coming - if I were on the table to truly 'race' again I would still have about 20 pounds to go but that time has come and gone.
Perhaps it comes from having been away from it for a little bit and not having been truly tested yet in training rides (I have been pushed but not yet blown up). My mind tells me to keep dropping but my logic/experience tells me that I am good (I am 12 pounds below former crit weight). Your first statement makes sense and I agree.

BTW I am still scouting some info for you
Old 07-23-12, 03:17 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's fair. So we know your goal weight, what are your goals? Do you want to race again, or compete for Strava segments? Do you want to compete this year, or just be king of the group rides? If you're 12 pounds under your last racing weight, then if you want to race again, then I'd stop right now, end your base period, and start build. If this is all for a return next year, then I'd stop trying to lose weight, keep working on base, and let your weight settle naturally.
Old 07-23-12, 03:24 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's fair. So we know your goal weight, what are your goals? Do you want to race again, or compete for Strava segments? Do you want to compete this year, or just be king of the group rides? If you're 12 pounds under your last racing weight, then if you want to race again, then I'd stop right now, end your base period, and start build. If this is all for a return next year, then I'd stop trying to lose weight, keep working on base, and let your weight settle naturally.
Probably the plan.
Regarding goals, I am ready to go now just have some other fires in the oven so to speak (we kinda talked about this offline) that are getting worked out. I would like to get some racing in this year but am not in a rush so if it happens (and it is the right time) then that is cool.
Don't care about Strava and my group rides are now with a very close confidant (one of my best friends - #2 above) who is going through a lot. I no longer attend the big group rides and spend most of my time solo as it allows me focus. Your opinion matters a bunch and has got me thinking a little and I appreciate that.
For next year dependent on how things go at home I plan on doing the Southern part of the NRC calendar, nationals in the home country and selected events that aren't too far to travel to.
Old 07-23-12, 03:38 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

RX is one of the few here who would truly be an expert in this area, and he does go on échappes quite a bit, so i guess you are correct

-----

Personally, sitting at 70.8kg. Slow steps. Not buying junk food also helps.
Old 07-23-12, 05:26 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
RX is one of the few here who would truly be an expert in this area, and he does go on échappes quite a bit, so i guess you are correct
My point was, if the answer had to be all about the numbers, you'd be one of the guys I'd ask. I am not qualified in that area. I know enough about myself to be dangerous.
Old 07-23-12, 05:51 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Back to dieting for serious. I figured I could just ride a decent amount and eat when I was hungry. Apparently that's incorrect. I gained a lb, or at least didn't lose any.

Counting the calories again, as well as riding. At least the power is going up.
Old 07-23-12, 08:10 PM
tallmantim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My body has an equilibrium point at ~95-96kg (which I'm sure sounds huge to most people!)

Low B fat% but my body doesn't want to go lower (at least not without drastic dieting - and that's no fun).

95kg or so is svelt enough for me if I can maintain it - main thing now is to try and up my FTP again.

Did a 1 minute test and got the best I've done in a while (764W - still a ways off my best numbers from earlier in the year though) - I have a perfect hill for it on one of my regular group rides! ;-)
Old 07-23-12, 10:21 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I was going through some books we got from a friend (several boxes - I went through just one so far). There was something on how to deal with getting old (said friend is something like 75 or 80 years old). One of the things in the book was a BMI chart, and I happened to open it to that page. Says my weight ought to be closer to 148-150 lbs. I'm at 177-180 lbs (again). I told the Missus that I want to be in the low 150s. At 155 I felt a bit weak at beginning of 2010 (after a winter of militant dieting), and plateaued at 158 that season. I think that it'll be possible and realistic for me to drop down into the 150-155 range again. No solid plans yet. We have changed our eating habits kind of significantly in the last couple months (immediately after Junior was born - he motivated us). I actually find myself pushing food away because I'm full.
Old 07-24-12, 06:24 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably the plan.
Regarding goals, I am ready to go now just have some other fires in the oven so to speak (we kinda talked about this offline) that are getting worked out. I would like to get some racing in this year but am not in a rush so if it happens (and it is the right time) then that is cool.
If you think there's a chance that you'll race this year, then I would start doing some speed work now. Target a few races 1-2 months out and shoot for them. Back off on the base a little at a time, and watch your intake. Make your weight goal no more than your last racing weight, which would give you a 10-12 pound cushion. You have a demanding job that requires a lot of travel. Make sure that you are getting enough rest.

If reality dictates that next year will be your return to racing, then enjoy your base season riding with your friend. Save the speed work for the offseason.

My two cents.
Old 07-24-12, 06:48 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you think there's a chance that you'll race this year, then I would start doing some speed work now. Target a few races 1-2 months out and shoot for them. Back off on the base a little at a time, and watch your intake. Make your weight goal no more than your last racing weight, which would give you a 10-12 pound cushion. You have a demanding job that requires a lot of travel. Make sure that you are getting enough rest.

If reality dictates that next year will be your return to racing, then enjoy your base season riding with your friend. Save the speed work for the offseason.

My two cents.
Thanks shovel I do appreciate the input. I am still doing some unstructured speed work, long hill repeats, etc. I am waiting for my young teammate to come back from Abitibi and we are going to try and get some sprint stuff done (young punk might actually take me ) I also follow my old coach's training plan (i.e. intervals, etc.) but when training near my office it is just too hilly to do them properly here so I end up doing sprint hill repeats which hurt like a mofo.
I have been fortunate that my travel dialed way back this summer and diet has been good.
I love training with my friend, he is leading the state's points race with two race weekends left for points so our rides together are race simulation with one water stop and one coca-cola stop for ~73-75 miles. Most of the ride is rotating paceline between the two of us (ala breakaway) and it has been great as he is very strong and I love the guy.
Coming back to riding this year really has been a journey, limited structure and just fun to be back in the swing of things.
Thanks again for the input shovel.
Old 07-25-12, 12:07 PM
Smallguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at 204 this morning... my racing is done for the season.

I'm going to continue to try and loose weight and keep improving my power output. I seem to keep getting better at sprinting in terms of my peak and average despite my weight loss.

My body seems to like the 195-205 range getting lower than 195 seems difficult but I'm not lean so I can certainly loose weight with out sacrificing muscle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.