Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

When Do You Not Commute By Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

When Do You Not Commute By Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 01:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
OK you Oregonians are officially weird.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-18, 01:54 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
1. Between October 15th and March 15th I don't commute by bike at all.
2. From March 15th to October 15th I commute Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And I only do those three commutes if there is a less than 40% chance of rain.

I also won't commute if the temp is expected to be below 32. I go down from a bit of elevation to the river for a lot of my commute and it's always a few degrees colder down by the water.

I typically do hard interval rides on Tuesday and Thursday and then longer club or solo rides on Saturday or Sunday. I'm more of a part-time commuter.
Old 04-16-18, 02:09 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Some times when I don't ride I walk to work. Some exercise is better than none, and it keeps me out of the car.
Old 04-16-18, 03:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'll always take a pass on the first rainy day of the season. In NorCal it typically doesn't rain between April and November, which means a couple things: all the dripping oil and transmission fluid that seeps into the asphalt rises to the surface during the first rain, making the street as slick as an ice rink, particularly at intersections; over the summer drivers seem to forget everything they knew about driving in the rain.
Old 04-16-18, 03:55 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I am also living in the tornado alley. Sometimes I will not ride if the weather forecast calls for strong winds,drenching downpours, tornadoes or oversized hail. On Friday 4/06 we had bad winds and hail. I just made it home with the bike before the 3" diameter hail balls came falling from the sky. I was really lucky. Although wearing a helmet I do not want to get hit by one of those. One week later we had similar forecast I decided to drive by car. We did not get hail but a few miles north they did. One never knows where the hail might be worst. And 40 mph wind gusts are no fun either with a bike that has a fairing attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hail.jpg (48.3 KB, 183 views)
Old 04-18-18, 09:31 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by xyntiacat
Are there any rules you guys have self imposed on when to ride versus not?
not weather related, but when I commuted regularly, I stayed away from Fridays, especially Fridays before holidays, because the drivers seemed more erratic
Old 04-18-18, 12:31 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I try to avoid rainy days because it's just not fun.

I try to avoid days below 50, but 40 is my minimum. Under 40 and it's just miserable for me. (Props to those of you who can deal with freezing temps. I'm not you.)

I often have things I need to do at lunch or after work that requires driving. So those days I can't do it.

And sometimes I wake up and just don't feel like it.

In the summer I average about 3 days a week. In the winter, 1 day a week.
Old 04-18-18, 01:39 PM
Hallzzy

Bikes: Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last summer was my first time owning a bike as an adult, so I only rode it to work 3-4 times a month. I am hoping to make it more of a routine, but I think 3 times a week would be the max.

The details of my commute is around 24 km one way (essentially around the city) on nice multi-purpose paths the whole way. It takes about an hour and I have no interest in cutting through the city just to save 15 minutes off my ride. I have no shower at work, so I shower before I leave, take it easy on the way to work so I'm not drenched in sweat, and then change into work clothes that I left at work. For me to drive to work it takes 15-20 minutes.

A few of the reasons of why I don't ride to work are: baseball that night (I have to rush out of work), rain in the forcast, had a late night, forgot to take clothes the day before, have to go on the road for work that day. A lot of excuses, I know!

This summer I am going to incorporate it into my routine a lot more by being a little more prepared. I bought a rack (no bag yet) that will help me carry more things, bought a better backpack to make my back sweat less, and make it more of a priority rather than a random achievement when I decide to do it.

Any suggestions on how I can make it easier on myself?
Old 04-18-18, 02:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Hallzzy
Any suggestions on how I can make it easier on myself?
You're already doing a good job. The commuting forum is pretty much all about making commuting easier. One tip you'll see a lot is keeping the gear you need together and by the door. For me, that means bike shoes, trouser bands, hat, helmet, summer gloves, winter gloves, and eyeglass mirror. I also keep my pump by the door.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-18-18, 02:49 PM
Hallzzy

Bikes: Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely have room for improvement in that department! Would reduce the stress involved in scrambling to find all of my stuff in the morning! Thanks!
Old 04-18-18, 03:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
San Diego here. When I started bike commuting, reading everybody else's weather horror stories, I was determined to ride every day no matter the weather. I had a few wet rides, seemed to have very good luck for rain falling on weekends or days I needed to drive in conjunction with other errands.

But this past year, I have decided I've got nothing to prove, nobody to impress, so I'll opt for the car on rainy days. Two cars for a now-three-driver household means that requires a couple days planning in advance, and might not be possible, in which case I'd ride in the rain.

If I lived somewhere with weather, I'd invest in quality raingear and warmwear and fenders and such that make riding in all weather not too terribly unpleasant.
Old 04-18-18, 05:07 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Fair weather commuter here. I don't ride when it's raining, or much below 50F. Heat isn't an issue here, as it seldom gets above 70F. When I'm not riding I take the bus, which is not a great incentive to ride. Diabetes is a great incentive to ride.
Old 04-18-18, 05:12 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I work from home The good news is that during the nice weather I get out and ride just about every day 30 to 40 miles
Old 04-18-18, 05:34 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Only when my office is closed.
Old 04-19-18, 08:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

The forecast called for rain, and the ground was wet, but it did not rain on my ride into work, so my risk was rewarded. I think the chance of rain later today is even lower.

Old 04-19-18, 08:35 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Are there any rules you guys have self imposed on when to ride versus not?
Yeah, after surgery. My doctor told me not to ride my bike or lift anything more than 10 lbs for a month. I was a bit peeved but I complied.
Old 04-19-18, 10:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Yeah, after surgery. My doctor told me not to ride my bike or lift anything more than 10 lbs for a month. I was a bit peeved but I complied.
Probably good advice, though.

After I donate blood, they tell me no vigorous exercise. I don't comply. I ride my bike home.

Old 04-19-18, 07:49 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Evidently from January 1 to at least April 19th. I couldn't tough the snow and ice this winter and have been riding with my brother since we live and work both within 2 miles of each other. When biking, my commute is 30 miles RT. Not as an excuse - it is hard to turn down a ride in a warm car with the winter having been as long as it has, though. I think once it's above freezing consistently at night I'll probably start riding more. I'm itching to get out and ride again. I have done the ride about half a dozen times this year, but nothing like last fall, 3,000 miles Sept 10- Jan 1.
Old 04-19-18, 10:24 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't commute by bike because I just have to leave the house, walk across the street to where the company truck is parked (since you are expected to bring your work home with you), get in and go to wherever I'm needed to do a lane closure.
Old 04-20-18, 08:53 AM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
So this seems like a weird question, but believe me there is logic. I live in a place that has pretty unpredictable weather in the springtime (tornado alley) and unbelievably hot in the summertime. I am just starting a 15 mile RT commute to my workplace that is pretty easy, but my main concern is that I don't want to get caught out when a rain storm suddenly turns nasty beyond redemption or I'm likely to get heat stroke. Are there any rules you guys have self imposed on when to ride versus not? Have you noticed that you bodily adapt to the weather while commuting?
I've been commuting by bike for about 3 years now (21 miles round trip). I'm getting up there in age (close to 50) so I try to be more careful these days and prepare each night. Get panniers for your bike.

I usually check the weather the night before and also in the morning. I carry a second set of clothes for the afternoon as temperatures here can go from 30 F in the morning and 60 F in the afternoon. If its cloudy, I'll carry my waterproof gear even if the forecast says no rain. It's saved me many times.

I didn't ride one time when there was 60 mph wind gusts with heavy rain. It was dangerous enough that the Federal Government closed as a result.

On the bridges, I do experience 40+ mph wind gusts. You learn to lean your bike into the wind the entire time to not get blown over. Sometime I have to lean in quite a bit because I weight about 140 lbs. I never think what I am I doing. It's more, WOW! this is crazy funny and I'm laughing as the wind is trying to blow me over.

In the winter, the same cold winds on the bridge can get painful even with the face mask. It cuts right though the holes like pins. Thankfully the time on the bridge is less than 5 minutes.

That said, I do enjoy the days when its raining or sub freezing temperatures. It's quiet and I only see at most 1-2 cyclists.

I recommend getting a waterproof shell (top/bottom) and waterproof shoes. Shoe covers don't work as well. Try to get a shell that comes with a hood that can fit under your helmet. That will keep you dry in all rain conditions. The shells are thin enough that you can roll them up and very light to carry.

For the winter, layer up in fleece and get bar mitts for your bike. Invest in a few pairs of Heat Holder thermal socks. (That will keep you comfortable in freezing temps. I've tested them in 15 deg F commutes. You may have to get a shoe 1/2 to 1 size up though because they are thick)

Commuting by bike can get pretty expensive. I'm sure I've spent at least $1000 in clothes and gear. But I've made all that back in gas saving from not commuting by car within the first year.

I enjoy not having to deal with heavy car traffic but have new dangers to deal with in the city; metro buses flying by you just inches away, cars that don't stop at cross walks, cars going in and out of bike lanes, etc.

Its like that squirrel that you see near a MUP and bikes are flying by. Only now you are the squirrel in the city LOL.

Enjoy!

Last edited by WilliamT; 04-20-18 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-20-18, 11:14 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Reading some of these posts makes me realize how lucky I am as a commuter in this part of England. Generally the only days the weather prevents me commuting is if there's an electrical storm, if the temperature's below -5C (23F?), or if it's snowing. Probably less than 10 days a year.

No tornadoes or 3 inch hailstones; I got caught by a sudden - UK standard - hailstorm a couple of months ago and that was exceedingly unpleasant. Hats off therefore to anyone riding in anything like these conditions.
Old 04-20-18, 12:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Probably good advice, though.

After I donate blood, they tell me no vigorous exercise. I don't comply. I ride my bike home.
Same. Although, I feel like I am complying. A mellow ride home isn't particularly vigorous. Easier than walking.
Old 04-20-18, 12:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by caloso
Same. Although, I feel like I am complying. A mellow ride home isn't particularly vigorous. Easier than walking.
Except that I have a hard time riding gently.

I learned that taking the bandage off before six hours is a bad idea. It really does prevent bleeding.

Old 04-20-18, 12:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by caloso
Ditto. It's either downhill for 8 blocks, or flat for 3 blocks.
Old 04-20-18, 12:51 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by noglider
I learned that taking the bandage off before six hours is a bad idea. It really does prevent bleeding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.