Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie trying to decide on sizing for first bike -- please help?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Newbie trying to decide on sizing for first bike -- please help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 01:30 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't forget ML and XL. 15 seems like a lot more than I remember. What brands were a cm apart? I remember that Chicago Schwinn's were 1 inch apart in sizes, but that's 2.54 CM.
Well, at least one current brand offers them.

Cinelli Supercorsa
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-01-23, 01:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by 06muller
Preface: I enjoy using an indoor cycling machine for fitness, and have decided I want to do my regular cycling workouts on an actual bicycle outdoors, since it's far more fun and interesting. However, after riding my father's road bike, I found it uncomfortable on my wrists and hands (and frankly unnecessary for the short 20-30 minute rides I would be doing for fitness), and took interest in finding my own bike to purchase with comfort in mind. Yes it is for fitness but it doesn't have to be fast.

The problem: I settled on a Verve 3 (although still considering an FX 3), but find myself torn between two sizes: M and L.

The details: I was measured in the Trek store as 5'10.5" with shoes on, which would put me squarely in the L size group according to the Verve 3 size chart, for which 5'9" is the tallest who should allegedly ride a Medium and also the shortest who should ride a Large. However, my inseam is 32 or 31 inches -- I buy pants with a 32 inch inseam regularly and they sometimes bunch a little at the bottom, so I guess I have a longer torso and shorter legs. On the Verve sizing chart, 30-33in is Medium and 32-35in is Large.

So, I am quite far out of the 5 foot 5 to 5 foot 9 height category for a Medium, and at nearly 5 foot 11 I am concerned that if I get the Medium I would be getting a bike that is frankly too small. However, when I test rode both, I often felt like the M was more comfortable, the reach out for the handlebars wasn't as long, the bike was "under" me.

I will try to link some photo but I am not sure if this forum will allow me to since I am new. If not, perhaps I can send a link to a member and then can add it here?

[Tried to put link here, but yup it's not allowed until after 10 posts... Guess I will hold off on the photos for now, but I feel they are the best way to see how the bikes fit me. They are imgbb links]

I think you will be able to tell the L is on the right. Sorry for the poor quality photo. I can try to upload higher quality, closer up photos at a later time.

What I am wondering is, would it be bad to get a Medium? The Large FX 3 felt more like my size but the Large Verve just feels so large. But I am also wayyy out of the M category on the height sizing chart...

Does the size simply correspond to the length of the frame, as in, the wheels are further apart? And otherwise they're the same size?
Either size will work for you. Things are adjustable on a bike for a reason.
Old 08-02-23, 06:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Either size will work for you. Things are adjustable on a bike for a reason.
True, but one of the two sizes would be optimal.

I don't think that the OP is too stretched out in the right side photo in post #7. For what it's worth, sitting straight up puts too little weight over the front wheel, which makes it hard to turn, like you are riding an Electra Townie:

Townie 7D EQ Step-Thru - Electra Bikes (trekbikes.com)
Old 08-03-23, 09:54 PM
06muller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I am hoping to make it to the shop this weekend to pick one up. FWIW, I think the angle of the photos is different enough that it makes the size difference look more stark. Or more precisely, the fact that I am turning the wheel a little bit in the photo on the L so the space between the two wheels looks larger.

Here's another shot on the Medium bike where I think it looks more proportional: ibb / gJPMz6
Old 08-06-23, 03:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by 06muller
Well I am hoping to make it to the shop this weekend to pick one up.
Well?
Likes For SoSmellyAir: