Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle in French documentary

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-23, 04:03 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts

Was watching a documentary made in France about a specific single-celled organism and this bicycle was there in a few frames parked outside a building. I was struck by it's similarity to a bicycle I own which is almost identical to it, lugged frame, single-speed coaster brake, alloy rims, fenders and drop bars, and a way for the rider to carry items, this bike has a bag, mine has a rack over the rear wheel.

Old 10-28-23, 05:07 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
That's a very nice bike. Except the bars are tilted too far forward and the fenders are really too small to give real protection in any kind of real rain. And what's the point of a good lock like that not being around anything? Must be a pretty recent film since the lock has a pretty modern plastic cover over the bar. Did you have any actual point?
Old 10-28-23, 05:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I own 3 French bicycles plus another bicycle built by a man born in France who emigrated to the US but who later came to Canada and built bikes in Trois Riviers Quebec. My Limongi was built by that guy using Mavic components. For any French bike built anywhere outside of France this bike is as French as you can get
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-28-23, 06:24 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I don't think of French bikes as having coaster brakes, but maybe it's more common than I realized.

Looks interesting, like possibly something converted for urban use. Pic is too blurry to tell if it has fender eyelets. I can't tell if the chrome bits are cable stops. Looks like track bars. That bag is going to sway, unless it's attached to the seattube somehow.
Old 10-28-23, 07:43 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Don't know if it is a French bicycle, it was just a French documentary. I always thought coaster-brakes were as common in Europe as anywhere, the Sachs hubs for instance. I just thought it was a nice simple bike, and a bike someone looks to be using in a practical way, to get to work. A window into a part of French cycling culture.