Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Radius Hydraulic brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Radius Hydraulic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-23, 11:27 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Radius Hydraulic brakes

Front brake has lost fluid pressure. How to refill it properly? I think I see a fill port on the brake lever but I'm not seeing any openings on the brake. Also, the nut holding the hose in is extremely tight and I can't get it to loosen. Do I just apply more force or is there something else?
Old 12-30-23, 11:29 AM
adlai

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Old 12-30-23, 11:56 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
there are a number of "kits" available that have a fill funnel and a syringe to bleed the brake at the caliper end.

don't loosen the hose if you don't have to. There should be a bleed screw.

The main challenge is to keep air from getting into the line when you have it opened for bleeding.

there are a number of youtube vids that will walk you thru the process: mountain bike brake bleeding - YouTube

/markp
Old 12-31-23, 10:44 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
They are some brand of really poor quality brakes probably trying to sort of knock-off Shimano and Tektros lower end stuff. A set of M201s is probably a more sensible solution or finding a bike that doesn't come with off-brand brakes. Tektro makes fine serviceable brakes, Low end Shimano hydraulic disc brakes work decently enough no need to go anywhere else. At my old shop we replaced a set of Radius brakes on something because it was just a leaky mess and I have heard from other shops and mechanics have a pretty high failure rate for those brakes which is never a good thing. Also in my search for bleed procedure you can see a lot of customer comments saying they have failed or feel like crap.

I would not remove the hose unless it is leaking or damaged especially not for a bleed. If you are desperate to keep the brakes I think this thread from a popular online discussion place: Radius Brakes could be of some help
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-02-24, 12:32 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Good points above. If a tire goes flat, or a chain brakes, it might spoil your ride, if your brakes go, it might spoil your life. Fortunately, bikes have two, independent brake systems, so if one goes, you still have the other.
Maybe change to Circumference brakes, 6.2832 times better.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 01-02-24, 12:47 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Fortunately, bikes have two, independent brake systems, so if one goes, you still have the other.
I do not (and neither would Sheldon Brown] agree that bikes have two independent brake systems. A bike has a front brake, supplemented, somewhat, by a rear brake that is there mainly for symmetry. I would (and have) ride 20 miles in rolling terrain with only a front brake. I would not ride a single centimeter without a functioning front brake. And, if I had as little knowledge about hydro discs as the o.p. appears to, I would not be asking for help. I would be taking the bike to an LBS or bike co-op and turning the matter over to someone qualified to help.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-03-24, 05:36 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Agreed, the front brakes do most of the stopping and the rear brakes just sort of suggest that it might be a good idea to slow down.
Likes For Pratt: