Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

dual use pedals. SPD and Look

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 10:13 PM
SwimMer1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a road bike and have been using the look style pedals that have the three whole attachment. I will be riding across Iowa this summer and bought Keen spd biking sandals for that ride. The SPD sandals will be better for walking my bike through the busy towns.

Is there a pedal that has SPD on one side and look on the other side? I would like to have the option to wear either shoes without having to switch out the pedals.
Old 06-22-17, 05:26 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by SwimMer1
I have a road bike and have been using the look style pedals that have the three whole attachment. I will be riding across Iowa this summer and bought Keen spd biking sandals for that ride. The SPD sandals will be better for walking my bike through the busy towns.

Is there a pedal that has SPD on one side and look on the other side? I would like to have the option to wear either shoes without having to switch out the pedals.
Not that I've ever seen. Can't think of any good use for it as you need 2 pairs of shoes, can only clip in on one side, etc...

Why not just do the ride in the Keen's ?, or if not stiff enough (that can be an issue), just buy a pair of good SPD mt. shoes with a stiff sole and make that your single shoe for all condition ?, SPD works well for this.
Old 06-22-17, 05:39 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ditto. If you want versatility, Just use SPD for everything. It just works.
Old 06-22-17, 07:16 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I really doubt you'll find a pedal with a Shimano attachment on one side and Look on the other. Two different companies on one pedal? Probably not gonna happen.

But you may be able to find an adapter similar to this one that'll let you put two-bolt SPD cleats on your three-bolt shoe. That way, you could use either pair of shoes with SPD pedals.
Old 06-22-17, 07:51 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn used to make something called a Triple Link pedal for their Spinning bikes. It had SPD on one side and LOOK on the other, with an insert for the LOOK side that had a cage and strap for those who don't wear cycling shoes. They are really heavy though, since weight isn't a concern on a bike that goes nowhere.
Old 06-22-17, 09:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Just use plenty of grease when installing your pedals, so it's no big deal to swap them.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-23-17, 07:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Only the road shoes have made accommodations, to install both types of cleats... Need 2 pair of shoes..

SPD sl has pontoons along side the cleat.. 2 bolts,
Look/Time 3, surrounding the other,
so 5 places to screw on the different cleats..

then, .... a pedal wrench, to change the pedals, is not that big a deal.. between the 2 different pedals..
Old 06-23-17, 05:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
I really doubt you'll find a pedal with a Shimano attachment on one side and Look on the other. Two different companies on one pedal? Probably not gonna happen.

But you may be able to find an adapter similar to this one that'll let you put two-bolt SPD cleats on your three-bolt shoe. That way, you could use either pair of shoes with SPD pedals.
For what it's worth, those adapters are made specifically for the original Millenium sole. Those soles have a removable portion of their sole that these adapters replace. If you use them with other 3 hole shoes, they go on top of the sole and add quite a bit of thickness (enough to make you need to raise your saddle several mm).

I have a set - they're a good idea but too thick if not used with the sole intended.

I agree with those who recomend getting a good quality pair of MTB shoes and just use SPD pedals. Bring the sandals too.
Old 06-23-17, 05:54 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Pair of flip flops and a pair of Shimano MTB boots with SPDs and you've covered pretty well all the bases. Some thick socks and thin socks. Thick socks when it's cold and really hot to insulate your feet from extremes, thin ones for in between. Take off the cleats and put the base plates on and you can climb mountains.