Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike is VERY sensitive.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike is VERY sensitive.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-23, 01:28 PM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Compared to the stock photo of your bike posted in the first post of the rebuild thread, I'm still going with "shorter fork." I'd also angle those bars back a bit, if it were mine.

Kudos for rebuilding it. Maybe you'll get used to the ride.
I have new bars coming. I do not like those at all. The backsweep puts a bad angle on my wrists.

Oh, and the fork is the exact same length as the original. I think it's mostly me getting used to it. You definitely have to pay more attention now because it is very nimble now.
Old 05-03-23, 01:31 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronM46
You definitely have to pay more attention now because it is very nimble now.
All the better to avoid potholes! And I'd say the bars are uncomfortable because they aren't level. They look uncomfortable to me just looking at the pictures.

Last edited by smd4; 05-03-23 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-03-23, 02:12 PM
Elvo

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Seems like its 1-2 sizes too small for you?
Likes For Elvo:
Old 05-03-23, 02:42 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Do this with your picture: Draw a straight line along the center of the headtube, and see where it hits the ground. It should be hitting the ground some distance ahead of the tire contact patch. This is known as the 'trail' measurement.
What happened here is that you are using a shorter than stock fork, and now the head angle is too steep, leading to a much reduced trail.
Old 05-03-23, 02:46 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I went riding with a cousin of mine a while back who has a Specialized Roll step through bike. I ride a Giant Sedona comfort bike. We switched bikes for a while and I was so surprised how much more relaxed the steering was on the Roll. Meanwhile my cousin almost crashed because the steering on my Sedona was so sensitive. After a while we both got used to the change.

So when I got home i looked up the specs that effect steering sensitivity and found them to be very close. But they did indicate the Sedona would be more twitchy, But I had no idea such a small change would feel so different.

My old mountain bike the Sedona replaced also had twitchy steering, And I believe my Sedona is based on a mountain bike frame. Perhaps they are designed to have more sensitive steering then other bikes.
Old 05-03-23, 03:33 PM
aaronM46

I just got home from riding a few miles and it has grown on me except for the bars. I like that it is very responsive now. It was just sluggish feeling before and the bearings were junk so it didn't feel smooth. These are so smooth and nice.

Also, I ride with my dog a mile or two a day aside from riding without her. Usually a mile in the morning and a mile in the evening. If you look at my seat post you will notice a silver metal attachment point. A metal tube quick connects to that and inside the tube is a spring with a tether/leash attached to it and the leash comes out of the tube and clips to her harness. It keeps her about a foot and a half away from the bike. She just runs right alongside me and gets in her exercise. She wears shoes when the pavement gets too hot. I will take a pic of the attachment and post it in a few minutes.
Old 05-03-23, 03:37 PM
aaronM46

Here is a pic of the dog running setup. She is not in the harness but you get the idea.

Old 05-03-23, 03:38 PM
aaronM46

Ha. I just noticed my rear wheel QR is facing the wrong way from looking at that pic.
Old 05-03-23, 03:49 PM
smd4

Ha. I just noticed my rear wheel QR is facing the wrong way from looking at that pic.
Lots of us use them facing that way.
Old 05-03-23, 03:54 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
What happened here is that you are using a shorter than stock fork, and now the head angle is too steep, leading to a much reduced trail.
He’s stated the forks are the exact same length. Of course, trail could certainly be different between the two, based on rake.
Old 05-03-23, 03:54 PM
aaronM46

Lots of us use them facing that way.
Yeah, I am not trail riding so I don't care. I live in a golf course neighborhood so the closest trail I will see is the golf cart path. Very nice area to ride on the streets though because of low traffic and a lot of curves.
Old 05-03-23, 04:01 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
This is that "scientific method" mentioned over in the build thread, come back to bite the builder. A little research pays off and in the end saves money.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 05-03-23, 04:19 PM
aaronM46

Originally Posted by PhilFo
This is that "scientific method" mentioned over in the build thread, come back to bite the builder. A little research pays off and in the end saves money.
And once again someone doesn't understand the "scientific method". Here is what you aren't getting. The 'sixth step' of the scientific method is to make a new hypothesis based on your test results. The scientific method does not involve me listening to you or your knowledge. The scientific method is the exact opposite of following a recipe which you clearly think is the meaning of the scientific method.
Old 05-03-23, 04:41 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Incorrect. You build upon already existing knowledge. One wouldn't test gravity by walking off the top of a tall building, would they? A person might ask around "what do you think might happen if I exited that skyscraper at the top floor?"
So your new hypothesis is?
You may start with a quantitative analysis of cost, including man-hours of labor. You can also write up a heuristic thesis based upon your subjective analysis of the ride quality after you installed the new fork. Then weigh all the analyzed data against your qualitative feel for what you made and make the call if it was worth it.
I'm drawing solely on your statement regarding the scientific method over in the build thread, in which you didn't bother to research bicycle geometry, you spent a decent amount of money on something, then you came back here where your error in process was pointed out to you.
So, what is your new hypothesis? It might involve a bit of research and possibly taking the advice of others, if they are gracious enough to give it. Might save you some money and egg on your face.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 05-04-23, 03:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I have new bars coming. I do not like those at all. The backsweep puts a bad angle on my wrists.
I agree, the bars look terrible. With all that backsweep and an effectively super-short stem, I'm not surprised it's a bit twitchy. But as you've already found for yourself, people quickly get used to changes in steering sensitivity.
Old 05-04-23, 06:52 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Kudos for rebuilding it. Maybe you'll get used to the ride.
Agreed. Overall, the build doesn't look bad and the bike should be rideable - just twitchier than it was originally.
Old 05-04-23, 07:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That’s what it looks like to my eye, too. There seems to be a lot more airspace between the tire and the bottom of the crown on the suspension fork than on the rigid replacement.

Stock pics with the suspension fork don’t account for sag, however, although such an upright position and a seat slammed fully rearward may not result in any sag anyway, so maybe a fully extended fork is the way the OP experienced the stock fork.

I dunno how OP determined fork lengths, but if done manually, maybe simple measurement error is at play; it only takes about 10mm, or roughly 1/2”, to shift head tube angle a half-degree, which is enough to be noticeable,
Old 05-04-23, 07:52 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by chaadster
There seems to be a lot more airspace between the tire and the bottom of the crown on the suspension fork than on the rigid replacement
Measuring to the bottom of the fork crown would not seem to be the ideal way to measure in this instance--fork crowns vary in thickness. A more-accurate measurement would be to the bottom of the headset crown race.
Old 05-04-23, 08:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Measuring to the bottom of the fork crown would not seem to be the ideal way to measure in this instance--fork crowns vary in thickness. A more-accurate measurement would be to the bottom of the headset crown race.
Yeah, as I said, I don’t know how the OP determined the forks are “the exact same length,” but to the eye and based on the posted pics, they don’t appear to me to have the same length.
Old 05-04-23, 08:34 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by chaadster
but to the eye and based on the posted pics, they don’t appear to me to have the same length.
Agreed, but all I have to go by is my eye on screen photos, or the guy that says he actually measured them.
Old 05-04-23, 08:44 AM
Anicius

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This sounds like a trail issue. Trail is the distance between where an extension of the headtube would hit the road and the point on the road directly under the hub. It can be both observed and calculated. The further the point below the hub is behind the head tube extension point, the more stable the handling.

Another factor that affects perceived "twitchiness" is how far your hands are in front of the headtube/steerer centerline. The further, the more stable. You have a short stem and near straight handlebars that are in fact swept back a little so your hands are maybe 3" forward of that centerline.

Measure or calculate your trail. (And get it right; small differences between trails make a big difference in handling. 45 to 55 mm covers most of the bikes out there.) Until you know the trail, you are just trying to shoot pigeons in a dark barn. (Yes, rule out loose/tight headsets and other mechanical issues.)
To me too, it sounds like a trail problem. Trail provides stability because the caster effect tries to keep the wheel pointed straight ahead. But excessive trail can produce twitchiness at lower speeds ("wheel flop" - when you turn, the front of the bike drops a little closer to the ground so that gravity effectively energizes the turn and overwhelms the caster effect). But here, just from eyeballing the bike photos, there looks to be a fair amount of offset, so I'd guess trail is less than the original configuration rather than excessive.
Old 05-04-23, 09:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
So what did the bike ride like before you did all the stuff to it?

And in your pic of the final product, do you have spacers underneath the stem or is that just bare steerer tube exposed between the stem and headset? I really think that must be a large spacer or sleeve, but just asking as if that is bare steerer tube exposed, then that seems an issue right there.

But still without having a shot square on from the side it's hard to tell if your new fork changed the trail and other things up very much.

If you are just wanting to ride around the neighborhood on a paved road or sidewalk, then one of the cruiser type bikes with a very slack seat tube will be ideal for that. Your hybrid seems more appropriate to riding off road in mildly challenging terrain, not on roads.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-04-23 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-04-23, 11:37 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts
What's the total bill on this build?
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 05-04-23, 03:57 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Until I see a pic of the complete build, I’m going with the theory that the fork was installed backwards.
Fork can't be installed backwards, stem is backwards...
Old 05-04-23, 04:06 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Quite possibly. It is a new fork. Is there any way to fix it without replacing the fork?
Larger diameter wheel in the front and smaller one in the back....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.