Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike is VERY sensitive.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike is VERY sensitive.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 11:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
That looks like a Bridgestone MB series converted to look like a BMX. They did come with flat bars.
Dude, what is wrong?
Old 05-06-23, 11:51 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
The default position of a suspension fork is the same as a road fork. So unless you're compressed or rebounding past zero, the rake and trail are pretty much the same. If you completely turned a fork like that around the bike would still be ridable. High wheelers had no rake or trail. but the vertical head tube and the bends in the fork blades. Do not think that a bicycle is a complicated machine. While modern bicycles handle slightly better it is not by a lot. Italian builders tried everything possible to improve bicycles and the difference can hardly be felt. The French had large rake and trail and the bikes handled a bit more smoothly but Dutch commuter bikes have the same geometry.

I was riding bikes before the Repack gang developed real MTB's and the only improvement in the ride was suspension and that came at the expense of weight. There is a little local bump that is 20% and with a normal road bike I could never get more than 3/4th of the way up it and would have to push the rest of the way up. I got a Trek HiFi (or whoever (Bontrager?) built it before Trek) and made it to the top. But this was only because it was heavy as hell and had a long wheelbase so that I could stand on the pedals without the front wheel coming up.

So there is very small differences in geometry of any bicycle and it is only because with this geometry you can ride with no hands for a short distance. Please don't come back and say that you could descend Le Alpe du Huez with no hands.
Are you trying to pull a reverse-Beng on us here? None of what you said makes any sort of sense; except for that you have a steep hill that you couldn't ride up until you bought a full -suspension 29er. But I think that has more to do with MTB gearing than frame geometry.

Oh, and that orange bike is definitely not my Bridgestone ​​​​​​
​​
Old 05-07-23, 01:35 AM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I have my new 800mm bars installed. Everything seems to FIT SOO much better. The bike does resemble a longhorn steer but I think I may like it. I have not ridden it yet with the new bars. I will take a pic but it will be in my garage so you will have to filter out the background clutter. Give me a few minutes
Old 05-07-23, 01:53 AM
aaronM46

Excuse the messy garage. Fishing season is kicking into high gear and the weather is nice so my free time to organize my clutter is getting thin. Once we get storms I will be a shut-in and get it all back together.

I will get a pic of it outside later today if I get a chance. Heading out 20 miles to catch some big fish so I may be too tired but I don't think I will be able to hold back going for a ride when I get home.

Likes For aaronM46:
Old 05-07-23, 04:49 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Nice bars, but man, I’m uncomfortable just looking at them!
Old 05-08-23, 03:26 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Nice bars, but man, I’m uncomfortable just looking at them!
Via Dolorosa...
Old 05-08-23, 04:33 PM
aaronM46

I am really enjoying the new bars. I like the width so far but I am going to move everything inward to 740mm total to see how that rides and move back and forth to find the perfect sweet spot for me before cutting the bars.

The angles seem pretty great on my hands and wrists. So much better.