Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fork selection questions....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 04:52 PM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Many of you have followed my Schwinn build. A crappy bike that I upgraded quite a lot. Well, I went from the garbage Schwinn spring forks to a rigid fork. I don't like the rigid forks because of the rough golf cart paths I ride on. Just too rough. I want to go with a good air-suspension fork. The problem is that this bike came with 600c tires. I upgraded the wheels and tires to 600c as well but the forks are 37mm offset (old and new). I assume that Schwinn paired 600c tires to a 37mm fork because that was the geometry the frame was set up for or they wanted to put 29" wheels on it to make it look cooler.

Well, I can't find a decent air fork in a 37mm offset. Is there one out there that will accept a 29" tire or will I need to go to 42mm? If I did go to 42mm I am reading that the trail figure could make it more sensitive. Is there a large difference between 37 and 42 in handling characteristics?

I need a straight fork, 220mm tube, 1 1/8", 100mm QR, and 445mm from crown to dropout. I have no idea how much travel I would need. I am not jumping. Just basic rough mostly flat terrain and streets. 5-8 miles per ride at about 15mph.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,
Aaron
Old 05-08-23, 09:03 PM
aaronM46

Bikes: A Janky Schwinn

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Nevermind. I can't stand any more of the elitists here.

EDIT: I will stay around to offer advice because some of you that offer advice don't have a dang clue about mechanics or physics. I just won't reply to your ignorance.

Last edited by aaronM46; 05-08-23 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 06:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronM46
Nevermind. I can't stand any more of the elitists here.

EDIT: I will stay around to offer advice because some of you that offer advice don't have a dang clue about mechanics or physics. I just won't reply to your ignorance.
So because you didn't' get a response in four hours people are "elitist?" Not sure how that follows.

I don't ride that style of bike, so there's simply no way for me to make a recommendation. Sorry if my not wanting to offer you useless advice comes off as elitist.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-09-23, 09:41 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
I don't like the rigid forks because of the rough golf cart paths I ride on....Any help is appreciated.
...not sure if it's helpful, but you might experiment with the alternative of wider tires, to the extent your new fork permits that. I haven't really looked at it, so I don't know. Cheaper and easier than another fork, but it's obvious you have your own ideas about what you want to do. I've never ridden on golf course pathways, but I have ridden older mountain bikes on all sorts of surfaces, without any suspension in the frame or fork. But they did have 2" tires. So those might not fit your bicycle as currently configured. If you already have the widest tires you can fit on there, you might experiment with lower inflation pressures. Or not. That will slow you down a little, but it might make the ride more comfortable.

The tire dimensional differences you cite might change how the bicycle feels a little bit, but not enough that most people will care about it. People routinely change tire sizes with greater differences than that, with little or no effect other than what you get from a wider/narrower tire.

Like most of the elitists who have discouraged you, this is not some project I would do. But I have done some personal experimentation with old 3 speeds that elitists would not waste time on either.
Old 05-09-23, 09:49 AM
smd4

How rough can a golf cart path possibly be?
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-09-23, 09:54 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
So because you didn't' get a response in four hours people are "elitist?" Not sure how that follows.

I don't ride that style of bike, so there's simply no way for me to make a recommendation. Sorry if my not wanting to offer you useless advice comes off as elitist.
He got into it with someone/everyone in his original thread so now everyone is elitist.

Pretty sure this bike came with 700c tires.
Old 05-09-23, 10:00 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
He got into it with someone/everyone in his original thread so now everyone is elitist.
Saw that. Didn't realize it was all happening at the same time.
Old 05-09-23, 10:21 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX

Pretty sure this bike came with 700c tires.
...was wondering about that. But Schwinn had that history of proprietary tire sizes, so you'd have to buy tires at the Schwinn store. I figured this was just a return to tradition.
Old 05-09-23, 10:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I'm not sure what OP's issue with this thread is, seems fine. OP says the bike came with 29" tires, which is 700c. I don't know if that confusion is what is keeping them from finding a fork, but it can't help. I imagine there is a suntour fork that would fit this bike

Schwinn would use proprietary tires if they could, but it would cost them money because most of their bikes never get new tires. Best to use commodity tires. The business they are in now is not the same as Schwinn BITD where the bikes were so expensive that almost all their customers took care of their bikes. We sold Varsitys at the shop I worked at in the '70s and '80s, and those bike cost about $1000 in today's dollar.
Old 05-09-23, 12:03 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...was wondering about that. But Schwinn had that history of proprietary tire sizes, so you'd have to buy tires at the Schwinn store. I figured this was just a return to tradition.
His bike's not THAT old.

42mm is like 1.6 inches. Can't just about any 29-er fork do that?

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 05-09-23 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 12:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...if I were less elitist, I would take exception to some guy, who lives in a golf course housing development, calling me an elitist. But I grow apples in my yard, because it makes me feel elite.
Old 05-10-23, 12:08 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
How rough can a golf cart path possibly be?
We might never know we are so elite that golf courses are beneath us. I just have my servant play for me, I wouldn't dare step on a course where any tom dick and harry with a few million dollars might be slumming around. I was being driven around in my Rolls Royce in my mansion the other day and found 300 undiscovered bedrooms and the swimming pool where I store my first editions.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-10-23, 09:52 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I used to golf - it's fun, even though you might occasionally see someone with less money than you. I quit when the peasants in the Country Club office told me I couldn't use my Bentley as a golf cart. Well, actually they just asked me not to drive it* on the greens, but what I am supposed to do - walk from the car to the green? I might get the bottom of my shoes dirty!

People just don't know how tough it is managing the fortune I have made by offering mechanical advice on Bikeforums. I might quit and go back to my old job as CEO of the world's largest manufacturer of 600C bicycle tires.

*asked my driver to notdrive on the greens, obvs.
Likes For ClydeClydeson: