Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a 2nd hand wheelset... How do I know if the hub is bad?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 10:16 AM
123123user

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at a used novatec jetfly. I realized that I wont buy it for the full price of 325 USD with its usual issue of flex but other than that the wheel has remarkable reviews all over

I stumbled around and found somebody selling their pair at 200 bucks. Looks pretty conditioned and still has a good brake surface and it comes with the gp5000 tubeless tires, which sounds like a sweet deal to me. The listing was honest to say that it has an issue and the hub needs to be serviced for regreasing or cleaning, but I dont have a clue if thats honest enough.

Anyways Ive contacted the seller and waiting for his response, meanwhile, how do I know if the hub is or going to be bad? Also would that be worth it if I had it replaced anyway?
​​​
Old 06-29-23, 11:26 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I wouldn't buy a wheel set where the owner has disclosed a problem, that sounds like a good way to lose money. Buy the new ones if you are desperate for those wheels because in the end you will likely get some warranty and support from Novatec There are tons of wheel options out there though so don't get hung up on these. If you are just looking at cheap wheels they can be easily had QBP and Wheelmaster (JBI's house brand) have some fine options that would probably land you around the same price and you would have support through them and if you say get a Shimano hub through Shimano as well. I am running a set of Deore hubs laced to Alex rims from QBP and have had them for 7 years-ish and no issues at all (though some abuse and a heavier rider) and haven't really had to touch them at all and they were not super expensive. You will probably want something with 105 or if really budget Tiagra since you need them for road I assume but they would be a great option. They get gone through by hand at the end and they are really solid.
Old 06-29-23, 11:46 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I would take a risk at $50.

I would not take a risk at $200.

I would pay the full $325 to get it new.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-29-23, 11:52 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
The seller didn't give you any more info than that it needs something? It could be that the issue is minor, but you have to ask yourself why doesn't the seller take care of this minor issue before selling.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-29-23, 07:25 PM
123123user

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The seller didn't give you any more info than that it needs something? It could be that the issue is minor, but you have to ask yourself why doesn't the seller take care of this minor issue before selling.
He has not replied yet but I'd expect something along the lines of upgrade or spares. I glanced at his profile and it seems that he's sold a lot of things too. This one particularly is tempting with the tubeless setup
Old 06-29-23, 07:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
$200 for a used wheelset that listed for $350 is no great bargain. I agree that if the hub was easily fixed the seller would have done it already.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-30-23, 06:48 AM
123123user

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
$200 for a used wheelset that listed for $350 is no great bargain. I agree that if the hub was easily fixed the seller would have done it already.
i dont know but this country has a tendency to overprice their second hand goods unlike others... this one though, looks attractive with GP5000 tubeless tires. I've seen several offers at the same price points, offering just the wheels (no tires) or a lower end tire not worth adding up to the price
Old 06-30-23, 12:25 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Keep in mind that this type of freehub (ie. freehub that slides off of an oversized hollow axle) typically requires you to re-lube the pawls every so often with mineral oil. This is not anything unusual or sign of any problems. But for sure, ask the seller if he is experiencing any issues.
Old 06-30-23, 03:16 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Keep in mind that this type of freehub (ie. freehub that slides off of an oversized hollow axle) typically requires you to re-lube the pawls every so often with mineral oil. This is not anything unusual or sign of any problems. But for sure, ask the seller if he is experiencing any issues.
He did, it is !
It's in Post #1

Barry
Old 06-30-23, 10:10 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by 123123user
I stumbled around and found somebody selling their pair at 200 bucks. Looks pretty conditioned and still has a good brake surface and it comes with the gp5000 tubeless tires, which sounds like a sweet deal to me. The listing was honest to say that it has an issue and the hub needs to be serviced for regreasing or cleaning, but I dont have a clue if thats honest enough.​​​
Confusing.

The used ones are $200 and they need servicing. But they come with $100 (?) tires in god shape (I guess?).

New ones are $325?

Questions:
  • How much would it cost to have them serviced?
  • Is this something you can do? (I do it for my hubs.)
  • Is there a problem that can’t be fixed? (Sometimes, the hubs have wear that can’t be fixed by servicing and can't be seen unless taken apart.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-01-23 at 07:31 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-30-23, 10:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
If you're touching them you can spin the axle and feel if there's resistance or grittiness telling if its a bearing going, bearings are cheap and plentiful for novatec hubs. You can hold onto the freehub and spin the wheel and see if you feel it binding, sometimes when the freehub is wearing out it feels like it binds in a spot as the wheel spins. Spin both slow and fast to see if you notice something. You can also hold the freehub body and twist your hand holding it repeatedly to give a feel of how well it seems to be engaging when light force is applied. Unfortunately even if all this has the wheel feeling good you still may find that once installed with the force of your legs on the cranks there's a slipping or grinding issue that turns up and the only way to really know is to install and ride. Personally I'd be inclined to look for a better deal.
Old 07-01-23, 04:33 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
If the hubs have sealed bearings, then they are bad, good hubs have adjustable cone and cup bearings. In recent decades manufacturers have increased their profits by marketing the idea that sealed cartridge bearings are an improvement and "upgrade", but the are simply cheap consumer-grade crap just like carbon-fiber frames that can be mass produced more quickly so stockholders can stuff the money into their wallets that used to go to the skilled workers who brazed and welded frames and who adjusted wheel, headset and crank bearings to optimal.
Old 07-01-23, 06:46 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
If the hubs have sealed bearings, then they are bad, good hubs have adjustable cone and cup bearings. In recent decades manufacturers have increased their profits by marketing the idea that sealed cartridge bearings are an improvement and "upgrade", but the are simply cheap consumer-grade crap
This is total complete BS. I hope everybody who reads this crap just disregards it.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-01-23, 08:44 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by 123123user
The listing was honest to say that it has an issue and the hub needs to be serviced for regreasing or cleaning, but I dont have a clue if thats honest enough.

Anyways Ive contacted the seller and waiting for his response, meanwhile, how do I know if the hub is or going to be bad? Also would that be worth it if I had it replaced anyway?
​​​
I don't know that I would consider these wheels to be a good deal or not so I won't chime in on that point. You don't know the specific problem the seller has experienced or how they come to the conclusion they needed service or if this is the correct diagnosis for that problem. Maybe the seller just used this to convince himself that he should upgrade wheels and sell these. However if this is going to be an in person pickup where you can inspect the wheels and see if the spin correctly you can some idea of how bad they are if at all.

And the above about sealed bearing is not great information IMHO. I'm riding a pair of wheels with 39 year old sealed bearings. Of course that bike has a lot of other things that poster doesn't like such as a properly turned saddle clamp, chromoly tubes and bar tape.