Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

“It’s a nice bike, when it works “-the Van Moof saga continues.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

“It’s a nice bike, when it works “-the Van Moof saga continues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 06:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Unrealistic demands from EPA and your government for stricter emission controls on vehicles is what's causing a lot of modern engines to have problems. The complexity of modern vehicles is just getting too much, a home mechanic can't even work on them anymore.
They're not unrealistic if the manufacturers are able to meet them every time. The problems engines have are related to under-engineering, poor QC, and abuse.
Modern engines can last far longer than the stuff from decades ago.

As far as shade tree mechanics, if you want to get educated you can do a lot of stuff at home. I think most people don't want to.
Old 08-05-23, 06:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Abase2 is right on with cars. Power output nowadays, and emissions output are so high and so low that "souping up" and engine for any sort of reasonable street-legal driving is unnecessary, despite all the "anti-smog." Manufacturing tolerances are so tight, "balanced and blueprinted" is only a factor if you plan to run at a track or strip. Specific output (HP per CC or Cu in) is higher out of the factory than some of the "hot" engines a few decades ago. A Ford Fiesta (or some such baseline ford) with a turbo package a few years back out out Better numbers than the original 930 Porsche (the first Porsche Turbo) of the middle 70s. This, for a Ford econobox available for under $30K ... and by better numbers, I mean not just HP and torque, I mean drivability and especially handling .... the Porsche was notorious for oversteer, power on and power off, and a tough car to learn to control ... while, with modern computer-aided suspension design and modern production tolerances, the front-drive Ford stuck better, stopped better, accelerated the same ..... the same a the "Supercar" of the mid-70s.

It used to be a car with 100K miles was clapped out ... the engine needed a complete rebuild, bore and hone and new pistons, new valve gear ... everything was just beat and leaking. Now 250,000 for an engine with much higher specific output is normal. How is this a bad thing?

As @base2 mentioned ... . four times as long between oil changes (which are still pretty easy to do oneself) .... how is that a bad thing?

In a consumerist society it seems, the only free commodity is problems .... and people just love to collect them, valid or not.

I am sorry to inform everyone that electronic shifting will not kill cycling, any more than any other development. As long as people want to ride, bikes will be sold.

Further ... I am not a Constitutional scholar, but i don't recall any "right" to have exactly the cycling experience you desire. If at any time you find it impossible to ride the way you like ... stop. Nobody "owes' you the type of cycling experience you desire.

I am sure a lot of people will be angry when leaded gasoline is completely unavailable .... or when they can no longer buy parts for the 1929 model A, or whatever. In those cases, if there is demand ... people will Make those parts as specialty items, or mix their own fuels, or whatever. If you want to own and ride an Antique, that is a luxury, and you can expect to pay luxury prices. So ... get a machine shop set up in your garage and start cranking out replica driver trains of whatever era you think is "The Best." or, learn electronics and build your own electronic shifters. With 3D printing tech and such, there is nothing people cannot make.

In fact ... . you might not know this ... original neither cars nor bikes existed. People Made them. I am a member on a Facebook page of people who still make cars at home---Make ... Cars ... at Home. You can still beat a panel or machine an ingot or whatever ..... so if you Really care, learn to make bike parts. If people can make Cars from scratch, I am pretty sure you can learn t weld some tubing and program a CNC machine.

If that doesn't suit you ... well, whine away, if that seems like better use of your time.

Me ... i recall when it was simple to change a starter or an alternator or plugs, points and condenser, belts, all that. I had to adapt step by step until I accept that computer controlled ignition and fuel injection is just Better than carbs, and points, in terms of both more power and less pollution, both of which I favor. In exchange for faster, cleaner, better-handling cars which are much safer and weigh much less, I had to give up the ability ... and the need ... to work on those cars. I survived.

Darwinism, right? if electronic shifting is the death of some folks .... the gene pool gets filtered, right? Personally I intend to ride Something until I no longer can ... or no longer want to. If you are there now, because of electronic shifting or whatever ... Sayonara.

Thank you all very much for your rants about the evils of progress.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-05-23, 06:58 AM
big john

My rigid fork mountain bikes which aren't even vintage are serving me very well for the type of singletrack trail riding that I do and I am happy with them. I don't need a modern full suspension bike because I have absolutely no desire to participate in any events or rides which involve all kinds of crazy dangerous stunts which can cause crippling injuries or kill you.
You could say your bike is fine without crapping all over what other people like. You do this often. What you do is good and everyone else is just wrong.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-05-23, 07:23 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
FYI The difference is that car companies are generally huge in a way that they have a legacy even through any restructuring. Though there have been boutique brands. The fate of a modern software-based car from a boutique brand that folded could indeed be a lot like the Van Moof case.
you mean like Tesla ? I doubt that they would "fold". However the advent of a new battery technology such as solid state batteries that offered 2X the range would devalue every Tesla by 50% overnite.

Also I am very sure Tesla has a "remote kill" capability. They don't advertise it, but they have it. It's a feature not a bug.

/markp
Old 08-05-23, 10:11 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
They're not unrealistic if the manufacturers are able to meet them every time. The problems engines have are related to under-engineering, poor QC, and abuse.
Modern engines can last far longer than the stuff from decades ago.

As far as shade tree mechanics, if you want to get educated you can do a lot of stuff at home. I think most people don't want to.
Exactly right. Do some Luddites in this forum seriously believe breaker point ignition is superior to modern systems? Heck, we don’t even need a distributor now, on most engines. These modern designs last much longer than old tech, and they also perform better. Same goes for program fuel injection as opposed to ancient technology carburetors.

I can understand the anxiety that comes from having a bike or car that needs regular firmware updates. For most machines, this is not the case. Van Moot is a sad tale we should pay attention to. But expanding this to “I don’t want breakerless ignition on my car; I want something I can always fix myself” is ridiculous.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-05-23, 10:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
I bet if a buyer doesn’t step-up an aftermarket/retrofitter will emerge. Software development is a non-issue as almost all proprietary software can be hacked and recoded. I bet a dollar that the VMs will be supported one way or another and most likely improved.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-05-23, 10:27 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Van Moot is a sad tale we should pay attention to....
...yes. Adjusting the valves on an old VW, while lying under the car, was Hitler's revenge, as far as I'm concerned. But Van Moof did make a very nice product for urban transportation, when it works. The problems arise in the application of new techno fixes without enough foresight in cost versus reward. I realize that technology proceeds in fits and starts, but somewhere along the line, product life cycle needs to be a consideration.

I think they had good intentions, a a company. Maybe someone will buy them whole, out of bankruptcy, and continue that work. Or maybe the intellectual property and the machinery to realize it will be sold piecemeal, and end up in Asia somewhere. No one knows right now. They got some bad breaks with the Covid pandemic, and it did them in. Maybe they were always headed in that direction. Meanwhile, the ones that stop rolling are mostly sitting around as poorly designed doorstops, depending on what's available in the repair pipeline. Which is a shame.

But this is my own view. And as already stated, I feel much more secure in life when I can fix my own stuff. It's just simpler than finding someone else to do it, in most cases.
Old 08-05-23, 10:28 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by rsbob
I bet if a buyer doesn’t step-up an aftermarket/retrofitter will emerge. Software development is a non-issue as almost all proprietary software can be hacked and recoded. I bet a dollar that the VMs will be supported one way or another and most likely improved.

...meanwhile, this is a great opportunity to buy one cheap, as a project.
Old 08-05-23, 10:33 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Maelochs

Thank you all very much for your rants about the evils of progress.
"Technology is a useful servant but a dangerous master."

Christian Lous Lange

Old 08-05-23, 10:40 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Speaking of technology, 20 or so years ago we got YouTube. And since ford makes about 2000 F-150’s a day, there’s going to be many people who already fixed your problem and posted a video

The idea of component “standards“ is kind of special to bicycles when you think about it. Ford doesn’t make cars that accept Chevy engines.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-05-23, 10:52 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Speaking of technology, 20 or so years ago we got YouTube. And since ford makes about 2000 F-150’s a day, there’s going to be many people who already fixed your problem and posted a video

The idea of component “standards“ is kind of special to bicycles when you think about it. Ford doesn’t make cars that accept Chevy engines.

If I recall correctly, GM and Ford developed and manufactured the same 10 speed transmission.
Old 08-05-23, 11:19 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Absolutely correct about YouTube. I can’t count how many times “YouTube University” has bailed me out on all things automotive, cycling and around the house. Fantastic asset and a huge time such if not careful.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-05-23, 12:14 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Adjusting the valves on an old VW, while lying under the car, was Hitler's revenge, as far as I'm concerned.
Air cooled VWs were my family’s primary vehicles when I was growing up. Dad used to say their “heater” (he used the term loosely) was Hitler’s last stab at us.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-05-23, 12:19 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
If people want hoard and collect vintage and other peoples cast offs enjoy and have fun; but justifying it as a protection against an upcoming technological apocalypse is silly. Ironically a vast majority of those luddites will not even be with us 30 years from now and for sure not riding anymore. I am extremely confident that my Dura Ace Di2 bike will be running and serving my use as long as I want it to be.

Pointing out Van Moof as a case against modern equipment is radically unfair as it was a isolated case. The C&V community is littered with technological failures, from Teledyne Titans to Delta brakes. How many tens of thousands Campagnolo headsets have been discarded because of brinelling? It is unheard of in modern head set systems. Enjoy prattling around your basements adjusting bearings and re-cabling your shifters, searching Craigslist for more estate sale bargains and as I know it is emotionally satisfying.
Old 08-05-23, 12:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Enjoy prattling around your basements adjusting bearings and re-cabling your shifters, searching Craigslist for more estate sale bargains and as I know it is emotionally satisfying.
...but not nearly as much as being berated on a bike forum, by a guy who insists that the technological advances in modern mountain bikes have something to do with poor ol' Van Moof's demise. I can't get that anywhere else but here.
Old 08-05-23, 12:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...re-cabling your shifters.

​​​​​​​
Old 08-05-23, 01:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
You could say your bike is fine without crapping all over what other people like. You do this often. What you do is good and everyone else is just wrong.
I wasn't dissing or crapping on what other people like. I was just responding to one particular poster who seems to believe that it's impossible to enjoy mountain biking unless you are riding a $ 10 000 full suspension rig with 7 inches of travel....and BTW I used to own a 2007 Rocky Mountain Switch way back many years ago but after riding it on and off for about 2 years I sold it because I realized that this type of bike and the type of riding that the bike was designed for isn't really for me.
Old 08-05-23, 03:54 PM
big john

I wasn't dissing or crapping on what other people like. I was just responding to one particular poster who seems to believe that it's impossible to enjoy mountain biking unless you are riding a $ 10 000 full suspension rig with 7 inches of travel....and BTW I used to own a 2007 Rocky Mountain Switch way back many years ago but after riding it on and off for about 2 years I sold it because I realized that this type of bike and the type of riding that the bike was designed for isn't really for me.
OK, thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-05-23, 04:23 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Exactly right. Do some Luddites in this forum seriously believe breaker point ignition is superior to modern systems? Heck, we don’t even need a distributor now, on most engines. These modern designs last much longer than old tech, and they also perform better. Same goes for program fuel injection as opposed to ancient technology carburetors.

I can understand the anxiety that comes from having a bike or car that needs regular firmware updates. For most machines, this is not the case. Van Moot is a sad tale we should pay attention to. But expanding this to “I don’t want breakerless ignition on my car; I want something I can always fix myself” is ridiculous.
Retired GM dealership technician here. We (GM) didn't have breaker points on anything after 1974. No carburetors on anything after 1986, except for a couple years of Caprice. No adjustable timing after 1995 and no distributors after 2000, iirc.

I always embraced the new stuff, it was the only way to survive and get what I wanted from the dealer. I was the first at my store to be electric car certified. I was also diesel trained and certified. And had an emission test license since 1983. When something totally different came out I couldn't avoid it, no sense hating it. Gotta learn as much as I can about it.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-05-23, 07:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...but not nearly as much as being berated on a bike forum, by a guy who insists that the technological advances in modern mountain bikes have something to do with poor ol' Van Moof's demise. I can't get that anywhere else but here.

From post #3 on this thread, I can understand why you didn’t get the reference as it was buried in the Luddite manifesto as written by LV2TNDM.

So when I look at my 1992 custom painted hard tail, I love knowing I can pedal it today as I did 31 years ago. I NEVER have to fear the dreaded "Firmware Not Supported" that today's bikes will display soon.”

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 08-05-23 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-05-23, 07:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
From post #3 on this thread, I can understand why you didn’t get the reference as it was buried in the Luddite manifesto as written by LV2TNDM.

So when I look at my 1992 custom painted hard tail, I love knowing I can pedal it today as I did 31 years ago. I NEVER have to fear the dreaded "Firmware Not Supported" that today's bikes will display soon.”
...thank you. I guess the berating will continue until morale improves. Hush my mouth, and call me schadenfreude.
Old 08-24-23, 09:13 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
This NPR story was the first I ever heard of VanMoof

https://www.kpbs.org/news/news/inter...iders-stranded

A few canals away at a bike repair shop, Joram Hartogs says he refuses to repair VanMoofs, "because they're impossible to repair."

"They're so sealed off with their own equipment that nobody else except them can fix it," he says.

Hartogs says he'll only agree to fix VanMoof tires, because the brand's engineers made it next to impossible to open the frame that contains all the parts.

"All bike brands have a certain standard," says Hartogs about VanMoof, "and they went around every standard that was available because they didn't want to do anything with regular bike parts. So now they created everything themselves, and it keeps breaking because they wanted to over-design it."

Hartogs says VanMoof's creators fancied their company to be like Apple — creating unique products that would spawn its own ecosystem — but Hartogs says the company ran out of money because, unlike Apple's products, VanMoof's specialized bikes often broke down, and their maintenance shops and generous warranty policies couldn't keep up.

Last edited by RubeRad; 08-24-23 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-24-23, 09:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I'm not really a luddite, but I try not to buy everyday objects that require a cloud connection to work. The history of things like that is quite poor. My daughter had a fitness watch that worked fine until the company was bought out and the new owners shut down the online part. Now it's electronic waste. I seem to recall that the same thing has happened with 1st gen SRAM electronic derailleurs.

For some people, being able to control an ebike with their phone was a selling point. To me, it just seemed like a good way to turn your ebike into electronic waste.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-24-23, 09:52 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad

The flip side of elegant design could be trying to lock you into their ecosystem.

I just finished this. https://www.amazon.com/Good-Enough-J.../dp/059353896X

Great book. The subject of ecosystems reminds me of the actual perks of tech startups purpose is to have employees never leave work. A company town.

”Did you exchange
a walk on part in the war
for a lead role in a cage?”
Old 08-24-23, 03:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by RubeRad

...you left out the best part of that NPR story.
Beside a bike lane in Amsterdam, the VanMoof biker Brian Rueterkemp has a new accessory: a thick, old-fashioned bike-lock chain he's carried around since the bankruptcy was announced: protection against other VanMoof bike owners.

"I've heard a lot of stories that they look for bikes to get their own bike fixed, and steal it," says Rueterkemp, adding that if his bike gets snatched now, there's no way to collect on his VanMoof insurance policy.

And should his bike's internal alarm go off while someone's trying to steal his bike for parts, there is no longer anyone on the other end of that VanMoof app who is listening.
This happens in all those end of the world stories. When push comes to shove, we turn on each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.